Saving calories and rollover

Options
I know there are several posts on eating your exercise calories and all, and I agree that you should eat them. That's not what I am asking.

Several times during the week I find (especially on my exercise days) I have a hard time eating all of my calories. I'm not skipping meals and I'm eating some snacks when I am hungry. I don't want to feel like I HAVE to find something to eat to make my calorie goal if I'm just not hungry for it.

However I was wondering if it is ok to kind of "rollover" those extra uneaten calories to another day during week. So that on a day that I haven't been so good I can say to myself "it's ok, I was under 2 days ago." Could it be that there is not just the daily goal, but a weekly goal also?

I guess I am just curious to see if there is anyone out there doing this and still losing. I'm of the mindset that if you want it eat it in moderation because I'll just want it that much more if I say I can't have it at all. I should be able to balance it out another day this week.

Just wondering people's thoughts on this and wanted to start a discussion.

Replies

• Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    it is not as effiecient but i will say that i have logged m food from a bad day on a day when i had extars. it is best to only try to do it by day but i have done that before and still lost but not as much as compared to when i didnt do that.
  • barbsus1991
    barbsus1991 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do this, and find that if anything, it helps me loose weight. It keeps my metabolism guessing because i am getting different calories sometimes. I go mainly by a weekly goal, not daily.
  • rebecca_goss0
    Options
    Well, I don't think they "roll over", but I think that we just need to have a spike day or bad day, what ever you want to call it. It's okay to have a day that isn't as good as the others. As long as you are at least eating a little over 1,000 a day because under that is not healthy. I am sure you will get some interesting responses.
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    You should really try not to worry if you are under some days and over the others. Try to average it out over a week. Thats the best way imho.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you're getting the right amount of calories in on a weekly basis you're good. 1200 cals/day X 7 days = 8400 cals for the week. If you under eat on Tuesday by 500 & over eat on Wednesday by 500 you'll still hit the same 8400 cals consumed for the week. Same with exercise...if you burn 3500 cals in the week you should show a weight loss of 1lb, whether you burn 500 daily for 7 days or 700 calories daily for 5 days, you're still hitting the 3500 total burn.

did that make any sense? lol
  • murka20
    murka20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also do this and I use a myfitnesspal iphone application where it actually tells you the weekly average and if I am under or over the weekly goal each week. I think this is fine and it might just keep you sane. it keeps me sane :)
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know that when I did Weight Watchers several years ago and had GREAT success losing 40+ pounds, with the points, you had extras that you could use daily or save up for a 'treat' during the week. I agree with Starnes - when you're contemplating it, look at where you are for the week.

GOOD LUCK!
  • dfleno
    dfleno Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you're getting the right amount of calories in on a weekly basis you're good. 1200 cals/day X 7 days = 8400 cals for the week. If you under eat on Tuesday by 500 & over eat on Wednesday by 500 you'll still hit the same 8400 cals consumed for the week. Same with exercise...if you burn 3500 cals in the week you should show a weight loss of 1lb, whether you burn 500 daily for 7 days or 700 calories daily for 5 days, you're still hitting the 3500 total burn.

did that make any sense? lol

Yes made sense, and I agree, since we are trying to lose the weight for the week, it should matter what our calories are for the week. It also helps me mentally not beat myself up because I had some ice cream one day with my kids. I did it with an excel sheet this way and lost 12 lbs before I got pregnant. I really like MFP, but would like to also see my weekly stats instead of just daily.
  • dfleno
    dfleno Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also do this and I use a myfitnesspal iphone application where it actually tells you the weekly average and if I am under or over the weekly goal each week. I think this is fine and it might just keep you sane. it keeps me sane :)

I have the droid app, i wonder if they are the same? Where do you see that?
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've had a "bad" day before and lost weight that week. I go by my weekly average. If you have the app for the iphone, it's the middle tab on the home page. :bigsmile:
  • momie0205
    momie0205 Posts: 232
    Options
    I think the apps are different which is weird.
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I do the same as another comment.. I eat different amounts of calories every day to keep my body always guessing... some days I eat 1200, other days I eat 2000. I exercise 6 times a week and am seeing some good toning and weight loss. I think everyone is different, but this works for me :)
  • hschimke
    hschimke Posts: 14
    Options
    I have only been on here 2 weeks, but I really liked reading everybody's responses. I like the weekly perspective INSTEAD of the daily.
    And in my opinion, it's ok to have a 'bad meal' once a week.. Keeps us sane.. and I like little snack candys so I have a couple of them a day instead of a bag of them.. seems to be working cause I am down 5 lbs in 2 weeks/. ;)