my plateau

Options
I am pleased because due to my hard work and dedication towards eating right and working out almost every day, I have made it very near my original goal! :smile: However, it may be time for a re-assessment because currently I'm at a plateau, and I seem stuck and can't seem to shave any more body fat or pounds.

Its been about 3 weeks and I really only lost around 1 pound and lost around < 1% body fat since my last weigh in. Re-assessing my goals, I'm looking to be around 175-177 lbs and <10% body fat. The body fat is more important at this point than the weight, and developing LEAN, DEFINED muscle that you can see is extremely important - especially around my mid-section (abs) and arms. Maybe getting the P90X (the program that I have been looking at for a long time) is the solution, or at least changing up my cardio routine of elliptical and spinning or something different or new with weight-training. II think that I need to do something to vary my diet too, and the times I eat, types of foods etc. This might also be good for me mentally too so that I don't get burnt out on one thing. Any suggestions from people as to what worked for them, what I should do? What I did worked thus far in losing 30lbs and 15%body fat since the beginning of the year, so I'm a bit afraid to try anything new.

As always, thanks in advance...

Replies

• joey16g
    Options
    I am pleased because due to my hard work and dedication towards eating right and working out almost every day, I have made it very near my original goal! :smile: However, it may be time for a re-assessment because currently I'm at a plateau, and I seem stuck and can't seem to shave any more body fat or pounds.

Its been about 3 weeks and I really only lost around 1 pound and lost around < 1% body fat since my last weigh in. Re-assessing my goals, I'm looking to be around 175-177 lbs and <10% body fat. The body fat is more important at this point than the weight, and developing LEAN, DEFINED muscle that you can see is extremely important - especially around my mid-section (abs) and arms. Maybe getting the P90X (the program that I have been looking at for a long time) is the solution, or at least changing up my cardio routine of elliptical and spinning or something different or new with weight-training. II think that I need to do something to vary my diet too, and the times I eat, types of foods etc. This might also be good for me mentally too so that I don't get burnt out on one thing. Any suggestions from people as to what worked for them, what I should do? What I did worked thus far in losing 30lbs and 15%body fat since the beginning of the year, so I'm a bit afraid to try anything new.

As always, thanks in advance...
  • racoon1
    Options
    wow, seems like everyones intimidated. well as far as I can see you are very close to your goal and thats that hardest part to lose. may wanna try to trick your metabolism by having an extra cheat day. might also want to try doing your excercise outdoors for a while too, people tend to get stuck just working out in the gym. I don't know your routine or your diet and really I'm not a professional or bodybuilder you might want to talk to a nutritionalist and other bodybuilders. Are you gearing up for a competition???
  • joey16g
    Options
    Not really, just overall health and wellness. Going to be doing some 5K runs here and there, going to be getting into outdoor cycling eventually (although its getting towards fall/winter right now - maybe next year) and trying to keep in shape.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    When I get stuck (but who am I to give advice here...LOL I'm a train wreck!) But anyway, I do something crazy like workout differently to move around different muscles different ways. It could be a hard bike ride at a different pace, different terrain, and temperature, or something like a day long canoe trip or kayaking...Just do something different! Eat differently, workout differently, and relax.

One pound is nothing as long as your body is going in the direction you desire. Right? Good luck friend! Keep up the great work!
  • joey16g
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation. I will try my best. I'm thinking about starting some different exercises and P90X - that seems like the hot thing to do.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    What is the P90X??? I don't plan on doing it... :laugh: But I'll bite...What is it?

I don't like to do anything that is refraining. I prefer workouts which keep me outside, finding new places, seeing the landscape, don't include dirty old men with sweaty palms. :huh:
  • joey16g
    Options
    Try googling it and you'll find it instantly. Its a 13 DVD intense workout program. I just purchased the disks and now I have to get the additional stuff but I'm looking forward to changing up my workouts a little.

Have a great night!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Looks like it's time for you to put on some muscle mass. Awesome!! Gaining 8 lbs of muscle will probably take the better part of a year. It's very different from losing fat, especially if you want to maintain your low body fat.

You'll need a 100-calorie excess per day. That's really all you need...only 2800 calories in a lb of muscle, and it takes a while to build. Don't expect any big changes for the first month or so. Eat the same good stuff you've been eating, just more of it. :smile:

You don't have to eat a ton of protein. You want to eat more carbohydrates and fat so you can spare the protein for tissue growth rather than using it for energy. Don't be afraid to bump your fats up to 30%--saturated fats are used in testosterone production.

Drop your cardio to 3-4 30 minute sessions per week, unless you want to eat more to make up for it.

Lift to feel the BURN. Keep your reps 8-15 with short breaks, 30-45 sec. You should reach failure and feel intense lactic acid buildup after each set.

KILL your legs. They house the largest muscles in the body. Build up a ton of lactic acid in your legs, and you'll promote a similarly large GH release. GH is what causes IGF-1 to make your muscles grow. Squats! :happy:

If you were doing a full-body split, you'll want to break that down to spend more time with each muscle on a given day. It's easier to reach failure that way.