Low cal Grilled Cheese??

Options
I love GC, but need a YUMMY low cal version. Thinking of light bread, 2% cheese slices, & "spray" butter. Don't think it'll be excellent, but we'll see!

Anyone have a kick a** recipe for it?

Replies

• lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Try alpine lace swiss cheese...
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Look into the diferent types of cheeses. Some are much more low-cal than others and some are better for you. (especailly from the cheese slices they sell in the packages!!)

I do a version with feta cheese, spinach and tomato on the 9 grain whole wheat bread.
  • KaleighL
    KaleighL Posts: 159
    Options
    Also but down to on piece of bread and fold it over the cheese
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Look into the diferent types of cheeses. Some are much more low-cal than others and some are better for you. (especailly from the cheese slices they sell in the packages!!)

I do a version with feta cheese, spinach and tomato on the 9 grain whole wheat bread.

This sounds AMAZING!!!
  • kkirby669
    kkirby669 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do mine with 2 slices of the natures own "35 or 45 calorie bread slices", reduced fat montery jack sargento cheese (50 calories) and the spray butter... looking at 120-150 calories. Also, my "secret ingrendient" is adding a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the outside of the bread before putting in the skillet.

Hope this helps!
  • bloundie
    bloundie Posts: 4
    Options
    There's a fat free cheese, it comes in little blocks and is only 40 cal a serving, it melts really well I use it for low cal quesadillas all the time! I can't remeber the name off hand but I know Ralphs has it. there's a bunch of different flavors and it tastes great!
  • fightingdissonance
    Options
    Toast 2 slices of whole grain bread, then use whatever serving of cheese you want (usually I use 1oz aged cheddar) and without using butter or anything else, just make the sandwich with the toasted bread and cheese sliced up, and nuke for maybe 30s depending on your microwave - it tastes so much like grilled cheese but is sooo much better for you without all the frying and butter.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like Cabot reduced-fat sharp cheddar. There's enough fat to melt and the sharp taste of the cheddar feels like real cheese.
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I use the Sargento reduced fat cheese. They have a cheddar, Mozzarella, Colby Jack and a mexican blend. I do it open face in the toaster over with no butter or spray. Open face so the cheese melts better. Then when toasted put it together. I like to add tomato slice to mine also.

2523716.png
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Lite bread (35 calories per slice)
    Fat free American cheese slice (25 calories)

1. Toast the bread.
    2. Put the slice of cheese in between the two slices of bread.
    3. Microwave for 15 seconds or until the cheese is melted.

ENJOY!

Only 95 calories!
  • BuckeyeLuvvvva
    BuckeyeLuvvvva Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use Healthy Life 35 cal wheat bread and one wedge of Laughing Cow Light Swiss. I toast the bread before hand (if I don't the cheese has tendency to tear the bread) then spread the cheese wedge on the two slices. Slap them together, some spray butter on the outside pieces of bread, toss it in the skillet for a couple minutes and you've got a 105 cal grilled cheese! Just a thought!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I don't use any margarine or butter, there isn't much of a taste difference and I love dipping it into salsa so no need for butter products.

I use the 35 cal processed Kraft cheese stuff b/c I'm generally a cheese hater, it's a rare occurrence that I eat it so I don’t want the strong flavor or string'ie gooiness of the real stuff. Try adding 1/2 a grilled chicken breast to make it really filling and a great protein source + salsa of course!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Dam, I wish some of this low-cal (35) bread would make its way to Canada! So dumb, the lowest cal bread we have is the WW stuff which is like what, 60 cals a slice, 3x the cost of regular whole wheat bread and 1/2 the size, its like a piece of paper.

:(
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Aunt Milie's light whole grain bread (35 cals for 2 slices) 2 slices of fat free american cheese ( 30 cals a slice i think) i dont use any butter. toast the bread, put cheese on and nuke it!