What would you do with 550 more calories?

Options
Ok, here's my question. If you were given 550 more calories to eat, what would you add to your diet? The reason I ask is that today I readjusted my goals and weight down to only wanting to lose 1/2# per week and MFP gave me 550 more calories. Would you add to your portions or add something else to your diet?

Replies

• boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    WELL, If you werent really going hungry now and wanting to add alot of more food, I would opt for some sort of nut.
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If I had an extra 550.... I would add an extra snack during the day I have granola bars with a cup of yogurt thats around 300. Then for the other 250 just increase your lunches and dinners with a peice of fruit and call it good.
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    mostly larger portions
    but there would be much more chocolate cake overall
  • barbsus1991
    barbsus1991 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Maybe increase each meal by 100 so you dont end up snacking on un healthy foods to make up the calories, and/or have things like normal mayo instead of the lighter brands, or normal cheese not reduced fat cheese, semi skimmed milk not skimmed etc etc. Nuts are also good =]
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My question would be where u hungry on the diet before ur calories increased?? and the reason u only want to lose 1/2 lb a week?
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Eat that big fish. Sorry couldn't help it. Have something you really like, that is really healthy, don't go for sweets or chips it will make you crave more crap. 550 calories could be a pretty big meal if you play your cards rught.
  • jmy1975
    jmy1975 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree with nuts, but I would specifically add some almonds which would give you about 200 calories. I would also add maybe 100 calories more each to breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the form extra vegetable for about half and then maybe extra protein and carbs to the other half. Skip the sweets though.
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'd pound a couple of Twinkies.

Mmmm...Twinkies....
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    three words - Red Velvet Cake. But that would just be for an ocaasional 550 surplus splurge. If I had that every day i'd go into diabetic shock :-P
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    Probably at protein bar at least for a snack.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    On a healthier note, I'd probably add a larger portion of fish or pasta.
  • GinoATC
    GinoATC Posts: 60
    Options
    A six pack
  • GinoATC
    GinoATC Posts: 60
    Options
    or some pasta. I think thats the hardest thing for me to cut back on.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would try to spread those out and have a snack between breakfast and lunch, another snack between lunch and dinner, and use about 100-120 calories for a Casein Protein drink for overnight protein absorbtion while you sleep (if you are doing any kind of strength training). Casein is a great protein for long term absorbtion for slow muscle repair. The two snacks (for me) would be 150-200 calories of nuts and/or fruit and/or granola. Keep your present meal schedule intact...

Just my two cents if someone gave me the gift of calories...LOL.
  • kdrew11
    kdrew11 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    WINE!!
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Booze..........lo. Just kidding (kinda).

I have to agree with the extra "padding" on exisiting meals, bfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.
    You can pad each of those, just be careful to not eat "too" much or too many calories in one sitting.
  • jsheph1
    jsheph1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    More fried stuff
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Raw almonds and whole grains are both beneficial ways to add calories. Whole grains are generally calorie and protein dense and almonds are nutrient rich with healthy fats.

I do agree with people who recommend spreading it out, adding calories to your full meals and supplementing a snack after a workout.

550 sounds like quite a bump, what were you at before and are you going to modify your activity level?
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    The first thing to go would be any "low cal" "low fat" "no fat" etc. stuff in the house. Then any artificial sweetners. If I HAD to eat more calories I would go for nuts and seeds.
  • boognish1972
    boognish1972 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Drink more beer.