30 day shred info/advice pls

Options
Hi, I just completed day 8 (level 1) of the 30 day shred. I'm just looking for some information and results from people that are either past this point, or have already completed the whole dvd. I'm planning on going up to level 2 after 10 days and weighing in then also. I have heard that more results are seen during levels 2 and 3 though....can anyone support this?

I'm kind of nervous to weigh myself and take measurements after level 1 because I'm worried that I won't see much of a difference and that will be discouraging. I'm not as worried about the number on the scale as what I see in the mirror though and I am seeing a liiiiittle progress visually, so that's keeping me motivated.

Also, during level 1, I feel like I am working my left side more than my ride side because I feel the moves more on my left and then I am more sore on my left, but no matter what I try, it doesn't seem to matter. Has anyone else had this problem? I feel like I have the wrong form on my right side and can't fix it!

I would love to hear any information you feel would be helpful! Thank you.

Replies

• corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I haven't done shred (well through the whole 30 days) but I am doing p90x and I heard that you really see results in the 3rd phase. That is what keeps me going, I can tell that I am firming up but I have only lost about 10 pounds. When I get aggravated I just say to myself I didn't put on this 50 pounds in 3 weeks.....think of it that way. Dont give up! Do you feel better? More energy, sleep better, ect.
  • mindypie
    mindypie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started the 30 Day Shred 5 days ago. I think if ur feeling more sore on one side than the other I'll bet that side is weaker than the other. I feel equally sore all over (lol). I doubt ur doing anything wrong u just prolly have a more dominant side. It's prolly the side u write with, pick up groceries with, drive with, wear ur purse, etc. I write w/my right hand but do everything else left-side dominant. My left arm is a bit bigger n more defined in general.
  • camerons_mommy06
    Options
    I just completed day 10 level 1 today, tomorrow is the start of level 2 for me. I lost 3lbs in these 10 days & I also see the slight progress in my arms, legs and belly. I did not measure(wish I had now), so I do not know my inches before I started but I know I have lost some. The amount will vary by person so do not get discouraged. Just because the scale doesn't move does not mean you are not losing inches and toning :)

Not sure why you feel it more on one side than the other, I have not had that problem?! Best of luck on that, maybe you will figure it out soon :)

Feel free to add me if you want and we can follow along with each other, we are not that far apart.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Also, during level 1, I feel like I am working my left side more than my ride side because I feel the moves more on my left and then I am more sore on my left, but no matter what I try, it doesn't seem to matter. Has anyone else had this problem? I feel like I have the wrong form on my right side and can't fix it!
    I have this issue with workouts too because 1 side is already stronger than the other because I use it more on a daily basis. It may just take time to catch up/even out.

I have the 30 day shred but didn't do it faithfully, nor did I take measurements so I can't comment much on that but I do seem to remember feeling alot more "productive" once I got to levels 2 & 3.

If you don't want to take your measurements yet, just skip it. It'll all work out in the end. Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • barty
    barty Posts: 729
    Options
    Hi, I did the 30 day shred earlier last year and measured at the beginning and after the 30 days and here are my results, hope they give you some motivation!

Weight at start of shred ....154....weight at end of shred 147... 7 pounds lost first time round and 11 pounds second time round
    Bust 37 ..........................................................35......... 2".... Lost
    Waist 29 ........................................................26.5 2.5" Lost
    Belly Button 34 ............................................30......... 4" ....Lost
    Hips 37 .........................................................34......... 3".....Lost
    Saddle Bags 44 ..........................................40.5...... 3.5...Lost
    Left Thigh 24 ...............................................22 ..........2" ....Lost
    Right Thigh 24 ............................................21.5...... 2.5 ...Lost
    Left Calf 16 .................................................15 ..........1" .....Lost
    Right Calf 15.5 ...........................................14.5....... 1" .....Lost
    Left Arm 12 ..................................................11.......... 1" .....Lost
    Right Arm 12.5 ............................................11.5....... 1" ....Lost

Total inches lost on 30 day shred was...23.5 first time round and 9.5 second time round

I did the shred again for the second time and it didn't get any easier but I tried to do it all like Natalie this time round!!! and I lost another 11 pounds..... started at 147 pounds and finished at 136 pounds and lost another 9.5 inches so I think it was great!!!

since then i have reached my goal weight of 119 pounds in early August and have managed to stay at 119 pounds or very near to 119 pounds

Good luck to you all with your shredding !!!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I never stayed on L1, the best is L2 and L3 I saw more weight loss on L3 and a lot more toning
    start to move up..
  • cmowat13
    cmowat13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for the information and motivation! It's definitely really helpful!

Yeah, I was thinking that I was more sore on one side because it was not my "dominant" side, but I didn't know if it was that or if I was just not moving the same way on the other side. I guess I'll just keep doing them the same way and hopefully it'll even out.

Thanks again! Great job to everybody!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    In my blog, I post my feelings from each day of the Shred. I'm up to D20, and started D1 L3 today.

http://stephips.blogspot.com/
    I have heard that more results are seen during levels 2 and 3 though....can anyone support this?
    I support this!!
    I'm not as worried about the number on the scale as what I see in the mirror though and I am seeing a liiiiittle progress visually, so that's keeping me motivated.
    For me the scale is pretty consistent, but the difference in the mirror is amazing! I really noticed this near the end of L2.
    In my blog, I comment that I like to switch the sides up every now and then. If JM starts on the right one session, I'll start on the left side next time.
  • cmowat13
    Options
    Thank you!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you go ahead and weigh on your regular day for that and that you don't take measurements again until you complete the 30 days. I expect you will be pleasantly surprised at what this little 20-minute workout can do. If you check your measurements too often you won't see dramatic changes and you may get discouraged.
  • cmowat13
    Options
    I would suggest that you go ahead and weigh on your regular day for that and that you don't take measurements again until you complete the 30 days. I expect you will be pleasantly surprised at what this little 20-minute workout can do. If you check your measurements too often you won't see dramatic changes and you may get discouraged.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.... I don't want to not see a difference in my measurements so I don't want to take them even after 10 days. I do think I'll wait a little longer before taking them, just so I won't get discouraged.

I'm glad you expect me to be pleasantly surprised....pleasantly being the key word lol

Thanks!
  • hofficoffi
    hofficoffi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose weight so I am SO glad that I measured. I lost 12.5 inches in total, 3.5 inches off my hips 3 inches off my belly and one inch here and there inbetween. I didn't lose weight because my nutrition wasn't amazing during those 30 days. I am sure that if I really paid attention like I am doing this month I would've seen more than a 1lb loss! But to be honest I don't care about the scales as long as I lost inches!!

xxx
  • cmowat13
    Options
    I didn't lose weight so I am SO glad that I measured. I lost 12.5 inches in total, 3.5 inches off my hips 3 inches off my belly and one inch here and there inbetween. I didn't lose weight because my nutrition wasn't amazing during those 30 days. I am sure that if I really paid attention like I am doing this month I would've seen more than a 1lb loss! But to be honest I don't care about the scales as long as I lost inches!!

xxx

Agreed! My goal is to be happier when I look in the mirror, not necessarily when I get on the scale (although that would be a plus lol). Well thanks for sharing your info--definitely helpful and motivating!
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I just completed the 30 day shred and am starting over for a second "round". I was only on level 1 for like 5 - 7 days. I got bored with it and moved to level 2. Whole new ball game there! That was tough for me and I think that's where I saw most of the results. Level 3 is definitely harder... I had to do the modified movements, but this second time around I'm gonna try to do the higher-impact moves.

Good luck to you!
  • cmowat13
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • dawniewest
    dawniewest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As to the more sore on one side than the other, I have noticed that when I am doing a new workout and don't know which exerscises to pace myself on, I start off with really good form and get deep into the movement, then by the time they switch sides, I am weakening, running out of steam as it were, and find that I sort of "half *kitten*" the movements. This has resulted in an uneven work out for me, with uneven soreness. :)
  • mindypie
    mindypie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Since I posted my answer on this the other day I have noticed that some exercises JM doesn't make sure u do both sides equal reps. Like the side lunges w/dumbell raises. On that one she starts right n ends right. Also, I have been at it for abt 2 weeks now n I have only lost abt 2 lbs but almost 3" off my waist! In the past thru dieting alone it takes 5 lbs to show a 1" weight loss. So my results r as if I'd lost 15 lbs thru just dieting! I don't wanna move up to level 2 until I can do the exercises like Natalie n they're too easy for me.