Help! The numbers don't add up-I'm gaining weight!!

Options
Okay, according to mfp, I burn about 1700 calories a day. To lose a pound a week I need to eat about 1200 calories a day.

I work out on Monday-Wednesday-Friday and on those days I can have as many as 1800 calories.

So here are the calories I consumed for the week (and yes, I did work out M-W-F):

Monday: 1000 calories
Tuesday: 1400 calories
Wednesday: 1300 calories
Thursday: 1300 calories
Friday: 1100 calories

So, I know I went a little over on Tuesday and Thursday. But, if anything I should have just maintained, not gained.

And yes, I'm drinking 8 cups of water a day minimum.

Grrr...what is going on?

Replies

• woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Are you using weights in addition to the cardio to burn the calories?

Are you using the same scale?

Are you only weighing yourself in the morning before you eat breakfast?

Any and all of these can cause inconsistencies in your weight. Also, it is recommened that you only weigh yourself once a week, less grumbling about the weight fluxuation that way as well.

Another thing that may cause the issue is hormones.

Hope this helps.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    According to that you increased your deficit by 1700 for the week. it is advised to eat your exercise cals in order to lose weight. I just went through this last month. I upped my exercise and didn't eat all the extra cals and stalled. I went up 1.6 pounds and stayed there for another week. I stopped the extra workouts and went way over my BMR for one day eating clean. I put on a few pounds and then started dropping and went below the stalled weight by 6 pounds. Eating the exercise cals is no joke. Try it and see if it doesn't make a difference after two weeks.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Any and all of these can cause inconsistencies in your weight. Also, it is recommened that you only weigh yourself once a week, less grumbling about the weight fluxuation that way as well.

Hope this helps.

Yes, weights (one hour M-W-F).
    Yes, same scale same time of day.
    Going thru some peri-menopause.
    Hormones...grrr....
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Hope this helps.

Yes, weights (one hour M-W-F).
    Yes, same scale same time of day.
    Going thru some peri-menopause.
    Hormones...grrr....

The weights are helping convert fat to muscle and since muscle is denser than fat, you may see a slight difference.

I have found the best time of day to weigh myself is in the AM after waking up and before breakfast. This way all the waste is out of your system and you are starting clean for the day. It might also be some water weight from peri-menopause. Again, I hope this helps you.
  • 4richos
    4richos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of websites which I found helpful to gain an understanding of what we should be doing. Personally I try to stick religiously to the 1200cals per day and it's working for me.
    You should not eat less than 1200 cals per day as your body will go into starvation mode and put down extra fat.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss/a/howtoloseweight.htm

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/count-calories.html

Good Luck!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of websites which I found helpful to gain an understanding of what we should be doing. Personally I try to stick religiously to the 1200cals per day and it's working for me.
    You should not eat less than 1200 cals per day as your body will go into starvation mode and put down extra fat.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss/a/howtoloseweight.htm

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/count-calories.html

Good Luck!

Thanks. I think I am already doing what is suggested in these links.