Beware the cleanng "exercise"

Options
13»

Replies

• sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    having only joined just under 2 weeks ago, i find the conversations a way over obsessive? regarding how much calories we all burn. I may not be on the same path as alot of people on here but i do think that one obsession leads to another where you are trying to log every little detail going just to make you feel better.

I find this really distressing and very distructive. I do hope that everyone on here finds that BALANCE they are looking for. Don't assume that one persons advice will be good for you. Listen to yourself and get on with it.

There's alot of support on here but also some negatives. judge on your own merits

good luck
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    I know i used to clean before MFP, but never with weights on, i strap on 1kg on my feet and 0.5kg on my wrists. So for that reason if i do i thorough clean including vac and moping then i log it. But i do tailor it so i imput my own calorie burn. I don't think i'm cheating as i am usually soaked in sweat by the time i'm done so no harm no foul.
    plus i never eat my calories back.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I would never add my daily routines as exercise, just don't want a reminder of looking back and telling myself I need to do it again :)

However, last week when I asked about my Yoga - which rarely gets my HR up there, if I should count it - because it is a specific time I took to do something in regards to my fitness, and it was 90 minutes - I was told NO to that. I never eat back those calories on my "rest" day because I'm used to burning 400-500 calories on my work out days. However I do still add it. But when it came to Yoga I was told not to count it either.
  • fatgirlslim47
    Options
    I do add my cleaning exercise in but not until I have burned 2200 calories on my HRM. I put it on when I get dressed in a morning and generally take it off around 7pm when I go for a bath. I then log anything over 2200 as exercise.
  • catofisis
    catofisis Posts: 34
    Options
    I log cleaning IF it is something I wouldn't normally do, and if it feels like an effort - but my activity level is set to sedentary to allow me to add in these calories. This seems to be working for me.

However, I just want to say that I think people who are just starting out on MFP should not be put off logging daily activities altogether. This site is about education and encouraging people to get active and I think it's a great tool for that. Adjustments can be made further down the line if something isn't working, and becoming more accurate in your logging is part of that. But at first, the idea of logging exercise calories can be a great incentive to get people started. It has been for me - and now I like to exercise for its own sake and how it makes me feel (which I never used to).
  • magz_weltha
    Options
    This is true with Elliptical Trainer too, I log in 45 minutes and MFP says I burned almost 500 calories! I usually burn 400 to 450 during a 45 min. elliptical workout, so have a re-calculate and enter in the correct amount of calories burned. Something to think about! Oh, and when I'm burning 450 I am hauling *kitten* in my workout...
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people who log cleaning and everything to cooking as exercise, they are just cheating themselves.

That sounds quite judgmental. I think it depends on how you have your activity level set to calculate your BMR. Mine is set to sedentary because I work at a computer all day and am, well, sedentary.

When I clean, and my heart rate goes up, I do log it if it is more than 30 minutes. That said, I don't eat back my exercise calories on a regular basis, so am not sure just HOW I am cheating myself by logging the activities.

Bottom line, anybody can log whatever they want, and eat whatever they want. If they are losing weight and getting healthier at a rate that satisfies them, who are you to claim they are cheating themselves?

agree
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    I have my activity level set at sedentary and also will only count 1 hour of cleaning or whatever exercise, even though do 1 1/2 hours..Soooo I estimate low and since my level is set at sedentary I actually am burning more calories a day just taking care of my daughter.
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    having only joined just under 2 weeks ago, i find the conversations a way over obsessive? regarding how much calories we all burn. I may not be on the same path as alot of people on here but i do think that one obsession leads to another where you are trying to log every little detail going just to make you feel better.

I find this really distressing and very distructive. I do hope that everyone on here finds that BALANCE they are looking for. Don't assume that one persons advice will be good for you. Listen to yourself and get on with it.

There's alot of support on here but also some negatives. judge on your own merits

good luck

I agree!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I ride my bicycle on the road for an hour 3 times a week, and 2 hours on Saturday. MFP estimates 1 hour at the speed I go as expending over 1000 calories and hour. I wouldn't eat all those back, as that's how I got fat to start with.

I only log intentional exercise and then don't eat back all the calories, because I think the estimates are too high.

GG
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It only took my first week on MFP to realize that I needed to get a HRM to make sure I was accurately counting my cals burned. Between a few things I logged from databases online (not just MFP), and seeing what my Kinect Your Shape game was telling me, I figured the actual numbers were off. Having a HRM really does make a big difference.

I don't log any cleaning in the house (and I'm the cook/maid/laundry king of the house) - that is all just part of the things I do when I'm not at work.