Calories burned on the eliptical

Options
I weigh 250 lbs and this thing says that for 25 mins on the eliptical that I will burn about 425 calories...that seems EXCESSIVE. Yes, i work hard on the eliptical and sweat...but my spin class instructor says we burn about 500cals in an hour long class. I just don't want to have overestimated and eat too much because i thought i burned more than i did ! :)

Replies

• ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say that is an overestimation. I started using a heart rate monitor to track my calories because elliptical always seemed to be telling me I burned an excessive amount of calories, and I was right. They still do burn a lot of calories, I would say between 100-120 calories for everyone 10 minutes. Though are weights are quite different. If you have the resources to get a heart rate monitor I would suggest it!
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    I use an HRM when use I my elliptical, I'm 225, 40yrs and I burn 950-1000 calories in 90minutes. The machine showed about double what the HRM did.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm about 140 lbs, 5'5" my HRM tells me I burn 310 calories in 30 min. MFP said 290 - they were pretty close! I think with your current weight that is not an unreasonable estimation at all!
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I do about 300 in 25 min and I weigh 241
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    10 calories a minute is a good rule of thumb that I use for a moderate workout (elliptical, light jogging, etc) - something where I'm working just a little too hard to have a conversation.
  • samonaellie
    Options
    HEY GUTS SO THE ELIPTICAL IS NOT SHOWING THE ACCURATE CALORIE LOST!!! AHHHH MAN!!! WOULD IT BE SMART TO JUST INVEST IN A CALORIE COUNTER??? IF SO WHERE CAN I PURCHASE ONE????
  • introvert
    introvert Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    While they do tend to overestimate some, it's still a decent barometer to give you an idea of how strenuous of a workout you're doing. HRM are more accurate, but don't be discouraged - 100+cals/10mins is about average and definitely on par with running at a brisk pace. Keep the course!
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    im at 220 and mine says I burn about 330 in 25 mins. that is when they are set on strength 3.. but I burn more when I to it set at 8.
    i have double checked my burns with HRM and on other websites. its all within a numbers diff
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    With my HRM, I have been burning about 400 cals at level 7 or 8 for 30 minutes on the Elliptical (I weight 200lbs). I don't know if this helps at all but I know that MFP is really off (probably because of the level differences) and my Elliptical actually is 30 cals lower than my HRM.

HRMs or Calorie Counters can be bought almost anywhere but research them online first to see which one suits your needs the best.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Wow you all rock, thank you for the great feedback!
  • dbower18
    dbower18 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Somewhat depends on the elliptical. I have an Octane Q47 and between the arm movements and other programming it can burn some serious calories. But a good HRM is probably a better indication.
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    amount of calories burned depends on the resistance you have your machine set at
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My elliptical at home always showed my HR very low, no matter how hard I thought I was working. It wasn't until I got a HRM that I realized just how off it was.
  • introvert
    introvert Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    accidental bump
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor - the best $70 I've spent. It wasn't until I got one that I realized how hard I have to be working to burn 10 calories a minute.
  • betty51
    Options
    I use the elliptical, all the time and its way over .I started using my HRM and its better .....