Cut-off time for exercise?

Options
Twice this week I worked out close to bedtime ... did a 1-mile walking tape with a lot of energy and used hand weights (20 minutes duration). After that I get ready for bed and you would think I would sleep like a baby, however, the opposite happens. I have a hard time getting into a deep sleep. I have no caffeine either in the evenings.

I guess I need to do all exercise at least 2 hours before I go to bed.

Anybody else have this problem?

:glasses:

Replies

• Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    I used too, then I stopped working out at night ( late evening).
    I don't workout any later than before dinner!
  • vickij2
    vickij2 Posts: 66
    Options
    Most people think exercise causes fatigue, but it builds energy. Try exercising earlier.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I sure do! Exercising wakes up those endorphins and it makes me feel hyper. If I try to go to bed right after I exercise...it feels like my mind and body are still in fast forward. I try not to exercise past 8 p.m.
  • ErinJ1981
    ErinJ1981 Posts: 72
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. I'm tired right after my workout but when it comes time for bed, I toss and turn for a good 2 hours before I fall asleep. I'm going to start taking Melatonin.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I try not to exercise later than 8pm since I go to bed usually between 10-11. That way I have time to shower and unwind and relax and stuff. Works for me, anyway... I'm usually pretty pumped up after a good sweat, so the earlier the better! My favorite time to workout is actually a late morning, like 10-11am or so when I don't work. That way I have the whole day to feel the effects of my burn!
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just read about this recently, for good sleep hygiene (did a continuing education class on it) it said not to exercise 4 hours before bedtime.
  • rosnnj
    rosnnj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes I've been having this problem for 2 months now. I tried waking up and doing it earlier but I can't ever get it together to do that. So I take a tylenol PM. I hate taking sleep aids but I have to get to work early in the morning so I do it. I spoke to the trainer about it and she said I should do High intensity interval training, and I've tried it, I sweat more and burn more calories but I'm still wide awake.
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    I do Zumba every night and finish about an hour before bed...I take a shower which relaxes me and so far no issues getting to sleep.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I work out at night RIGHT before bed because that's the only time I can find after my kiddos are down for the night. It WAS tough to go to sleep, but now my body is used to do it. I exercise, take a hot shower after to relax (as another poster suggested) and then I hit my head on the pillow. I have NO problems falling asleep exercising RIGHT before bed... but again - it did take a few days to adjust!
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I was having the same problem. I have never been a morning person but have shifted to mornings. I get up at 5:00, work out for 20-30 minutes, then get ready & go to work. I actually have found I like it better. If I am up to it I do another 20-30 minutes right after worrk.

Since shifting I find I am more awake during the day and sleep better at night. The only downside is that I am in bed by 9:30-10:00 each night.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have to walk (or otherwise workout) waaaaaay before bedtime. Its a stimulant to me and I am energized for hours after. Great when walking to the bus in the morning on the way to work, not so great after an 8pm wii zumba session... :)

valerian helps quiet the "carnival" in the mind if you are still buzzing hours after a workout. :)
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ... I enjoyed all the responses. Very helpful.

I'm going to try and have my workout done before 8pm. I go to bed at 10pm.

I believe the 2 hours will start to put my body in "down" time for a restful sleep.

:love:
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    with all that adrenaline still running through your veins most people will definitely have a hard time falling asleep. i have to work out at night unfortunately, after work (and then i eat dinner AFTER that, at like 10 pm! aahh, horrible schedule i know) and i've found that lifting weights with a short cardio cool-down really keeps me awake, but if i lift weights and then give myself a nice long time on the elliptical afterwards (at least 40 mins) then i can fall asleep easier.
  • KTGator
    KTGator Posts: 78
    Options
    It depends for me what the exercise is. Last night I ran on the treadmill and did some weight training wrapping up around 8:30 p.m. But 10 p.m., I was dragging and ready for bed. However, I can't do yoga right before bed because I will not fall asleep until the wee hours of the morning. I guess it's just the intensity of the workout or something.

But I have read that you should cut off exercise 3 hours prior to going to bed in order to sleep best, so I try to make that my general rule =)
  • p_cakes
    p_cakes Posts: 282
    Options
    I had that problem at the beginning. Most of the time with my schedule, I could never get to the gym or do any DVDs until around 9ish. At first I couldn't sleep, but then I found I slept BETTER when I worked out later. I would usually take a 30 min break after working out before bed. Not eat anything, have some water, watch a show, etc. Then go to bed.

These last few days I have worked out early morning or mid day, or not at all :( and I found that I am extremely restless at night. I've got to get back into my routine