A New Earth, Awakening Your Life's Purpose.

Options
It is a book that Oprah has been promoting for a while now, she SWEARS by it, and was apart of her book club. I just recently got the book (took forever for it to get sent here to south korea), and was wondering if anyone else had read it. I have watched many shows (on oprah ) about it, and am hoping that it lives up to the expectations everyone has set so high for it. I am only on page 22 and have so far enjoyed it.

A few sections from the book:

"This book's main purpose is not to add new information or beliefs to your mind or try to convince you of anything, but to bring about a shift in conciousness, that is to say, to awaken. In that sense, this book is not "interesting." Interesting means you can keep you distance, play around with ideas and concepts in your mind, agree or disagree. This book is about you. It will change your state of consciousness or it will be meaningless. It can only awaken those who are ready. not everyone is read yet, but many are, and with each person who awakesn, the momentum in the collective conciousness grows, and it becomes easier for others."

"This book shows the main aspects of the ego, and how they operate in the individual as well as in the collective. This is important for two related reasons: The first is that unless you know the basic mechanics behind the workings of the ego, you won't recognize it, and it will trick you into identifying with it agian and again. This means it takes you over, an imposter pretending to be you. The second reason is that the act of recognition itself is one of the ways in which awakening happens. When you recognize the unconciousness in you, that which makes the recognition possible IS the arising conciousness, IS awakening. You cannot fight against the ego and win, just as you cannot fight against darkness. The light of conciousness is all that is necessary. You are that light"

"According to Christian teachings, the normal collective state of humanity is one of the "orginal sin." Sin is a word that has been greatly misunderstood and misinterpreted. Literally translated from the ancient Greek in which the New Testament was written, to sin means to miss the mark, as an archer who misses the target, so to sin mean to miss the point of human existance. It means to live unskillfully, blindly, and thus to suffer and cause suffering."

"Fear, greed, and the desire for power are the psychological motivating forces not only behind warfare and violence between nations, tribes, religions, and ideologies, but also the cause of incessant conflict in personal relationships. They bring about a distortion in your perceptions of other people and yourself. Through them, you misinterpret every situation, leading to misguided action designed to rid you of fear and satisfy your need for MORE, a bottomless hole that can never be filled.
It is important to realize, however, that fear, greed, and the desire for power are not the dysfunction that we are speaking of, but are themselves created by the dysfunction, which is a deep-seated collective delusion that lies within the mind of each human being."

So far so good, anyone want to put their imput on the book?

Replies

• McKnightAM
    McKnightAM Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It is a book that Oprah has been promoting for a while now, she SWEARS by it, and was apart of her book club. I just recently got the book (took forever for it to get sent here to south korea), and was wondering if anyone else had read it. I have watched many shows (on oprah ) about it, and am hoping that it lives up to the expectations everyone has set so high for it. I am only on page 22 and have so far enjoyed it.

A few sections from the book:

"This book's main purpose is not to add new information or beliefs to your mind or try to convince you of anything, but to bring about a shift in conciousness, that is to say, to awaken. In that sense, this book is not "interesting." Interesting means you can keep you distance, play around with ideas and concepts in your mind, agree or disagree. This book is about you. It will change your state of consciousness or it will be meaningless. It can only awaken those who are ready. not everyone is read yet, but many are, and with each person who awakesn, the momentum in the collective conciousness grows, and it becomes easier for others."

"This book shows the main aspects of the ego, and how they operate in the individual as well as in the collective. This is important for two related reasons: The first is that unless you know the basic mechanics behind the workings of the ego, you won't recognize it, and it will trick you into identifying with it agian and again. This means it takes you over, an imposter pretending to be you. The second reason is that the act of recognition itself is one of the ways in which awakening happens. When you recognize the unconciousness in you, that which makes the recognition possible IS the arising conciousness, IS awakening. You cannot fight against the ego and win, just as you cannot fight against darkness. The light of conciousness is all that is necessary. You are that light"

"According to Christian teachings, the normal collective state of humanity is one of the "orginal sin." Sin is a word that has been greatly misunderstood and misinterpreted. Literally translated from the ancient Greek in which the New Testament was written, to sin means to miss the mark, as an archer who misses the target, so to sin mean to miss the point of human existance. It means to live unskillfully, blindly, and thus to suffer and cause suffering."

"Fear, greed, and the desire for power are the psychological motivating forces not only behind warfare and violence between nations, tribes, religions, and ideologies, but also the cause of incessant conflict in personal relationships. They bring about a distortion in your perceptions of other people and yourself. Through them, you misinterpret every situation, leading to misguided action designed to rid you of fear and satisfy your need for MORE, a bottomless hole that can never be filled.
    It is important to realize, however, that fear, greed, and the desire for power are not the dysfunction that we are speaking of, but are themselves created by the dysfunction, which is a deep-seated collective delusion that lies within the mind of each human being."

So far so good, anyone want to put their imput on the book?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    My interest is peaked! Glad you took time to share:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Jackiemal
    Jackiemal Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've had the book about 6 months now. I'm on page 6. :laugh:

I find it alittle hard to read for some reason. I'll pull it out and try again. I do believe in that kind of stuff, like The Secret.

Jackie

89924.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

'How does one become a butterfly?, she asked. 'You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.'
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I find the things that Oprah promotes are very *New Age*...which can cause more harm than good (Just like the secret)...(In my humble opinion anyway!) lol
    I'm a Christian....so the only book that has helped me through a LOT (and believe me, I mean a lot!!) has been the bible as the word of God.
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I find the things that Oprah promotes are very *New Age*...which can cause more harm than good (Just like the secret)...(In my humble opinion anyway!) lol
    I'm a Christian....so the only book that has helped me through a LOT (and believe me, I mean a lot!!) has been the bible as the word of God.

I'm with you. If I want to know the meaning of life or why I'm here. I turn to the best selling book of all time, "The bible" Happy reading:smile:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

I'm with you. If I want to know the meaning of life or why I'm here. I turn to the best selling book of all time, "The bible" Happy reading:smile:

Amen to that =o)
    It really is an amazing book.....if people would just give it a chance....=o)