Need to vent

Options
Ok, i am really tired of struggling with weight loss. I have been dieting since i was in 6th grade (I am 42). I was given dexatrim by my step-mother and told i could not drink milk because i was too fat. When i was a teen ager i lost all of my weight. Early 20's gained alot of weight, around 25 i lost it all. now i have gained it all back plus. I know i need a lifestyle change, i am really trying to see this journey as that but it sure feels like a diet and i cant seem to get my mind set where i need it. I am trying to work out 5 days a week about an hour and keep my calories to about 1200. Went on a cruise last week, gained about 4 pounds back. I had my picture taken on the boat and when i saw the picture i was so depressed. It was a side view and i looked 9 months pregnant.
I just really need to figure this out soon. Sorry for the vent. If anyone has ideas to help me stay motivated i would appreciate it.

Replies

• rag5051
    rag5051 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey... only 1200 calories a day? You might not be eating enough. There's an equation online I'll try to grab and post later... but that helps you figure out how much you should eat based on what you want to weigh and how active you are. But I struggled for years with weight and didn't start losing until I started eating a full diet every day. I aim for about 15-1600 calories a day and it's worked so far. I've lost about 60 pounds (21 since april)
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I understand the picture situation, I saw my pic at christmas time and that's what made me decide that this was my year. I am determined to become the healthier person here. Even though I've been on a plateau for close to a month, I am still losing inches alittle bit at a time. I am going for the gold, I want to be a new healthier me, for me. Not for anyone else but me.. Decide what you want more, to eat something that gives you gratification for 10 minutes or to be able to look at pictures of yourself and feel contentment in what you see.. I am not preaching at you, just telling you what I tell myself every single day of this adventure...Good Luck....
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie plan too...My advice...work out as much as possible..when you are down work out...when you get hungry work out...when tired work out...It has the opposite effect on emotions and hunger and I have lost three plus pounds a week for the past four weeks.
    As for pictures...I wont even take a before picture yet and Ive lost over ten pounds...So I hear you.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Re-read the sections on your profile for "Why I Want to Get In Shape" and "My Inspirations". And every time you start feeling down, re-read it again and again. What you wrote sounds like great motivation. You want to be healthy and be able to enjoy life to its fullest. And you want to be there for family and loved ones. You want to be able to participate in life, not just sit on the sidelines and let it pass you by. Remember, the race is not given to the swift or to the strong, but to those who endure till the end. This is a journey you are embarking on. You will have good days and not so good days, but if you are serious about reaching your goals, then you'll pick yourself up and get moving!!! No it's not easy and it won't happen overnight. But we didn't get to the size we are now overnight either. Thankfully, if we work hard at it, it won't take as long to see the fruits of our labor. I gained 100 lbs over the last 12 years, but I assure you it will be gone in less than 2 years!!! Get moving!!!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If you don't like that picture use it as your focus but do see if you calories is correct. Best Wishes
  • vickij2
    vickij2 Posts: 66
    Options
    Eat 5 to 6 small meals a day. Watch the carbs, processed foods, and sugars. That way you will always be full. Many foods are full of hidden calories. Hang in there!!! Read Tosca' Reno's " Clean Eating." It is an eye opener.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Venting is okay! I just know for me it was a multifaceted approach. First of all, I had reached a point I was totally disgusted with myself. Then I figured out I could not DIET, I would just eat healthy: for me that means the perimeter of the grocery store - fresh vegetables & fruits, lean means, and dairy in general. I cut out processed foods, white flour and white sugar totally for the first 4 months. Exercise is my weak link, so instead of setting my goal too high and not being able to reach it, I only committed to 2 workouts a week of 30-40 minutes. I created a chart on my bathroom mirror where I recorded my weight every Monday morning. I also posted a picture of my mom who is obese at the top of the chart and a picture of a healthy (mind you, I did not say skinny) person (no one I knew) at the end of the chart as my inspirations. I have been success at losing my weight and am now in maintenance mode. And yes, along the way, I hit plateaus, I gave up, I vented, but I kept going taking it one day at a time, sometimes just one meal at a time (Which is pretty much what I am still having to do!). I can truthfully say that I feel SO MUCH better now that I have shed the weight and encourage you to find what works for you and stick with it. I encourage you to eat as much natural foods versus processed foods that you can as I believe they contain so much sodium, sugar and other unhealthy items that deter weight loss. Good luck to you and hang in there. By the way, vent anytime!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would ease into things a little bit more. It can be very difficult to make a bunch of changes all at once. If you're like most of us, chances are you were eating more than you needed, in addition to eating "bad" foods. Start by having a smaller weekly weight loss so that you can eat more while you adjust. Slowly transition into eating healthier foods and drinking only water. As you said, this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. You can't expect to change all your habits overnight, your body needs time to adjust. So take it slow and don't stress.

In the beginning it helped me to have one day a week where I didn't have to count calories and could eat the foods I wanted to eat. As I've come along I've completely cut refined sugar out of my daily diet. I no longer crave sweets and when I do have one I'm able to stop at just one and I'm satisfied for a couple of weeks. But it took several months for me to get to this point. Now I'm battling my carb and cheese cravings, which is far more difficult, even though I was addicted to sugar for most of my life.

And just know that we're always here for you. We're all dealing with the same issues and we'll always give whatever support and advice we can. Hang in there. It's tough, but it's worth it!
  • AmberRSkelton
    AmberRSkelton Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1200 calories isn't enough for most people.
    Gradually decrease your calorie intake-- if you typically eat 2,500 calories a day, then try to drop to 1,500... You will be miserable & probably fail! Decrease by 200-300 calories for a week, or even two weeks. When you get used to that, decrease a little more.

Don't forget strength training! Putting on muscle can really rev your metabolism.
  • trimformecmb
    trimformecmb Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ouch......lots of stuff going on in your post.....
    First and foremost...YOU CAN DO THIS.....
    and it doen't have to be painful!!!!
    One pound lost is still a whole pound....
    I agree with others, maybe you are eating too little,,,,,increase your calories and increase your activity too.....if there is any doubt, go to your doctor.........
    we are here for you!!!!!