quesadillas?

Options
WarmDontBurn
WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,255 Member
I have been trying really hard to stay on track and I know 1 meal isn't going to mess me up but I would like to estimate as close as I can. We went out to dinner tonight and I had a chicken quesadillas. It had chicken, cheese, black olives, tomatoes and sour cream. I have no idea how much of each item was on it so I can't really enter it in the recipe section.

If you have made a similar one is there an average calorie count? I am new to quesadillas so I wouldn't even know where to begin. It just isn't something I normally eat.

Replies

• OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Does this resturant have online menu? If not, I would just let it pass...unless you're able to estimate how much chicken, cheese, black olives, tomatoes, and sour cream was in it.

Don't stress to much over it as you said ' 1 meal isn't goin' to mess me up' ...

Do you best...:wink:
  • pwurtz1231
    pwurtz1231 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I haven't made anything similar, but have you tried looking at the website for the restaurant? Sometimes restaurants will post the nutritional info. Also, just do a general search for chicken quesadilla in the MFP database when you enter in what you've eaten for the day. Some entries list what was in the quesadilla. That's my suggestion. No need to fret about it though! Keep up the great work!
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 quesadillas for lunch everyday and its 380 made with 4 shells black beans cheese and salsa...

I know you didnt have taco bell but for one of theirs is 580 and you know Taco Bell would have the worst cal count for that item so I would go on safe side and say 500 :) Hope this helps but if it were me I would base it this way unless you wanna try to break it down. Total estimation here but sounds like a safe number :)
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    on avg its probably going to be close to 400-500 calories..
    the shell is 150 cal, about 3- 4oz chicken 130-150 cal(depending on how they cooked it)olives & toms might be around 50 cals( restaurant olives are canned so they have high sodium) the sour cream is what will get you.. it probably had about 1/4 c and that is 100 cals there , cheese is also prob 1/4 c and around 70 cals depending on the kind really..
    This is just my best guess from working the food industry and knowing how most foods are prepared and how they come in.
  • kroyalty
    kroyalty Posts: 22
    Options
    I just got back from eating out at a local Mexican restaurant (no online menu) so I just looked in the database and found the dinner I had at a chain Mexican restaurant and used it. I figure it is probably fairly close. And boy am I glad to read the encouragement in this thread that one meal won't undo it all b/c I REALLY blew it....BIG! Guess I'll just begin again tomorrow. :o) For future reference though, is there anything at all one can eat at a Mexican restaurant and not totally blow it for the day...or at least what is the lowest calorie/best thing (besides just a tossed salad)? Suggestions welcome!
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i kw the feeling tonight i went out and had enchiladas. so you have a few options 1) if it is a chain restraunt you can either look for it on myfitnesspal or google the nutrient facts for that restraunt and crete your own food 2) if it was like mine and it was a little unknown place where they dont even know how many calories is in it, then i just found another mexican restraunts food that was an enchilda plate and added taht. it was a gestamint!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Ya it is a small town local restaurant so no online menu or nutrional info. I had 700 calories to play with before supper so I guess I will leave it at that. I need to be under.

ETA: Wow you all posted the same time I did...lol.
    I guess I will leave it around 500 and call it a day...that leaves me a couple hundred deficit still!
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    Go work out HARD! It NEVER fails me!
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with chinese. I just found one entry & used that. Then behaved the rest of the night! :tongue:
  • kroyalty
    kroyalty Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks Chel. I will probably have to work out HARD nonstop from now until tomorrow afternoon some time to burn off enough to get anywhere NEAR my daily calorie goal though! :laugh:
  • whitelion82
    whitelion82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have to agree- I was recently STUNNED to find that quesadillas at Friendly's were 610 cal for just the four (one tortilla, chicken and cheese)!! If you order the full plate with 8 and spanish rice its over 1300!!
    Now, I just quickly checked out what they would be if homemade (1 flour tortilla, 0.5 cup grilled chicken breast, and 0.25 cup shredded cheddar), and they come out to 374 cal! WHAT are they putting IN these things??
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hate to be the one to tell you this, but quesadillas can be REALLY bad, especially from the hole-in-the-wall restaurants that are ridiculously tasty. Just from the MFP database:

Qdoba grilled chicken quesadillas with cheese and pico de gallo: 970 calories, 54 g of fat
    Taco Bell chicken quesdilla: 530, 28
    Hacienda chicken fajita quesadilla: 680, 36
    Don Pablo's mequite grilled chicken quesadilla (HALF ORDER): 665, 32
    On the Border chicken fajita quesadilla: 1230, 84
    Taco Bueno chicken quesadilla: 761, 44

That's just a random sample of chicken quesadillas from restaurants listed in the database. Of course, sour cream, guacamole and the other sides can add a ton of extra calories and fat as well. Best thing to do with quesadillas, make them at home. Two tortillas, a little cheese, chicken you slice yourself. Cook it up in the oven then throw whatever toppings you want on it. You'll save yourself a TON of calories and it takes 10 minutes.