Exercising with Lung Problems

Options
Hi all!

I have a question. My grandma who is 74 wants to lose weight, she is currently on weight watchers and has lost 3lbs. She would like to exercise more but she has lung issues and gets very winded. Right now she is able to do 30 minutes on her treadmill at about 1.5 mph, however she has to stop every now and again to catch her breath.

Do any of you know some other types of exercises she could do that would give her results while still allowing her to breathe?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Replies

• OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Doctors advice would be better I think than a forum :smile:
  • cybernet00
    cybernet00 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Doctors advice would be better I think than a forum :smile:

I would not have asked the question if medical advice had not already been established :wink: . Her doctor encourages her to exercise but he didn't give any specific examples that would help her to do so with out running out of breath quickly.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Truth be told, this area is outside my focus. As a trainer I focus on athletics, plyometrics and explosion training, and adult health and weight loss. This would fall into geriatrics and/or rehabilitation, which I don't have any expertise with.

What I CAN tell you is where to look for good advice.

go here: http://www.aacvpr.org/ it should be able to help you.
  • readytoshredlbs
    Options
    Does she have access to a pool? Water aerobics is a great form exercise with minimal "heavy" breathing. But I have to agree, at her age, no matter what she does she should (and I am sure you are well aware of this) consult her doctor first.
  • jwharrison43
    Options
    She can do chair aerobics and strength training. Her doctor should be able to set her up with pulmonary rehab and she can start classes. They also have workout equipment available for her use. Plus, there is a Respiratory Therapist there if needed.

Is she currently on oxygen or regular inhalation treatments?

If this is not something she can do or desires to do I know the YMCA offers a class called Silver Sneakers that may be appropriate for her.