THE COFFEE/CAFFEINE QUESTION

Options
Does coffee have any effect on your metabolism in a negative way? I was told that coffee hinders weight loss. Any information on this will be much appreciated. I completely stopped coffee/caffeine but I truly love my java. Help please!

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm not a scientist, but I drink 2-4 cups a day. I can't remember where I read or heard it, but there's some suggestion that coffee can prevent/aid in Diabetes. I don't have the facts for that, but I know my mother drank it like crazy and never had Diabetes. My father rarely drank it and he had it. Coincidence? Perhaps. There are claims it contains antioxidants.

Personally, I think you can have anything as long as it's not excessive.
  • sdwsara
    sdwsara Posts: 16
    Options
    im going to assume the sugar is what is bad, and the creamer? i mean people drink redbulls and what not ... drink ur coffee! i highly doubt ur not going to reach ur goal from drinking coffee LOL!
    better yet just drink that all the time and dont eat .... j/k :tongue:
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I have heard the opposite, that 2-4 cups a day can help weight lost since it has a thermogenic effect.
  • iitsolivia
    Options
    I recently purchased the book "Skinny B*tch" and I highly recommend it as long as you aren't easily offended. It has great facts in it, but has quite a bit of foul language. I purchased it off alibris.com cheap. Anyways, in this book it says caffeine stores fat, and that you should wean yourself off of it.
    BUT then I read a magazine article in Self i believe, where Jillian Michaels (biggest loser trainer) said coffee is okay, as long as it is used with no cal sweetener and no cream.
    So I'm not sure which to believe. I'd say experiment with it and see what works for you. I'm going to try the Skinny B*tch lifestyle and see what works!
  • kelika71
    Options
    Here ya go...this just came in my email and looks quite interesting: It's about caffeine/coffee

http://www.diabetic-lifestyle.com/articles/sep99_whats_1.htm?xid=nl_EverydayHea lthManagingDiabetes_20110305
  • monkeyboy881
    Options
    I have heard the opposite, that 2-4 cups a day can help weight lost since it has a thermogenic effect.

agreed and its also a dieretic i know i butchered that name
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The caffine is good (that is why it is a banned substance in some sports ie marathon running) it helps the body use fat as the prefered fuel over carbs but only to a degree! Anything over 3 cups a day will make the body imunned to the benifits. So keep it to a minimum, use as little sugar as possible and make sure its a skinny!! Enjoy in moderation as it is also a duretic so it will dehydrate you so make sure you enjoy a big glass of water as well!!!
    So still enjoy you cuppa, but as with most things if it is in moderation then its ok!!!
    P.s I cant start the day without my morning cuppa :) but have cut it down to just the one or if im out with the girls I will have a second cup :)
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I drink anywhere from 1.5 cups to a whole pot a day. I use creamer and *GASP* sugar.

I've always been a coffee addict and it's never impacted my weight. Other than pregnancy, I've been thin (until a little over a year ago - and alot of people would still consider me thin.. *shrugs*) for the majority of my life.

Coffee has many pros and cons:
    1) it's an addictive drug
    2) too many chemical additions (processed creamers & non-sugar sweeteners) can neutralize it's health benefits
    3) improves sex life (yep.. 1-2 cups a day).
    4) improves memory & cognition
    5) diuretic - which means it can dehydrate without the proper balance of non-caffeinated/sugared beverages, preferably water.
    6) Neither sugar nor cream has as many calories in this context as you might think.
    7) can strip you of calcium
    8) coffee is a stimulant - it will speed up your digestive processes and metabolism - until you crash and then you're more sluggish without more (see #1)
    9) there ARE withdrawal symptoms, typically in the form of a severe headache - you must wean yourself rather than quit cold turkey or you'll regret it.
    10) coffee is most beneficial in the 1-2 cup a day range; more is not the best bet (in spite of the fact that I'm a total addict - that's one of the reasons I know!)
    11) coffee is very hard on your digestive tract - if you have any digestive disorders (IBS, ulcers, lactose intolerance, or any others) you want to approach any coffee consumption very gingerly, if at all. It's best not to have on an empty stomach (but many of us addicts do.. the first thing we have in the morning otherwise it's like watching a really bad game of pin ball!)

I'm sure there's more...but I'm kind of tired and this is all stuff just off the top of my head that I'm aware of. There's been tons and tons of studies on the stuff and I think every other year, a new "scientific" verdict comes out. Frankly, I think all of them are true to some degree or another and the scientists of the world just need to add to the list of results rather than trying to debunk one or another of the previous findings.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I dont see how it can store fat? What in it will make it do that? its not caffiene since weight loss supplements are made of that. And its so low in cals when its black. Hmm..
  • iitsolivia
    Options
    I found the page, so I'll type out this passage in the Skinny B*tch book:
    " Caffeine can cause headaches, digestive problems, irritation of the stomach and bladder, peptic ulcers, diarrhea, constipation, fatigue, anxiety, and depression. It affects every organ system, from the nervous system to the skin. Caffeine raises stress hormone levels, inhibits important enzyme systems that are responsible for cleansing the body, and sensitizes nerve reception sites. One study even links caffeine to an increased susceptibility to diabetes. But don't go grabbing for the decaf. Coffee, whether regular or decaf is highly acidic. Acidic foods cause your body to produce fat cells, in order to keep the acid away from your organs. (Do NOT link this acid issue to citrus and other fruit) So coffee equals fat cells. "

Hope this helps!
  • qforce
    qforce Posts: 2
    Options
    CAFFEINE IS A STIMULANT => RAISES ADRENALINE => RAISES INSULIN => IF YOU DRINK COFFEE THE SUGAR IN YOUR BLOOD AT THAT TIME IS STORED AS FAT. BETTER TO DRINK GREEN TEA WITHOUT CAFFEINE
  • jeneey
    jeneey Posts: 48
    Options
    THANK YOU to all who posted... good info... but that Skinny B*tch article has me wondering.... I'm "off" of it now but that was my only vice, and I drank it black, like oil black lol
  • kelika71
    Options
    CAFFEINE IS A STIMULANT => RAISES ADRENALINE => RAISES INSULIN => IF YOU DRINK COFFEE THE SUGAR IN YOUR BLOOD AT THAT TIME IS STORED AS FAT. BETTER TO DRINK GREEN TEA WITHOUT CAFFEINE

And, yet I'm a VERY controlled Diabetic with A1C numbers in the normal range and I drink 2-4 cups a day.
  • sincitylulu
    Options
    In my personal experience it has not hindered my weight loss but then again I have gone from adding creamer sugar to taking it black. I may drink anywhere from 2-4 cups a day.
  • kmreynolds11
    kmreynolds11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    A lot of talk has blurred coffee/caffeine together... Are there any pros/cons of the coffee itself, without the caffeine? (I guess I'm asking if there are any benefits of drinking decaf?)

Also, does drinking caffeinated tea have the same consequences and rewards as what people have posted about coffee?

How would you rank drinking the following (from best to worst for you):
    Regular Coffee
    Decaf Coffee
    Caffeinated Tea
    Decaf Tea
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU to all who posted... good info... but that Skinny B*tch article has me wondering.... I'm "off" of it now but that was my only vice, and I drank it black, like oil black lol

Remember the author of Skinny B*tch is not a dietitian. Anybody can publish a book and it doesn't have to be scientifically accurate.

In actuality, caffeine is an ergogenic aid in weight loss and exercise performance. It stimulates the central nervous system to increase metabolism, increase fat burning, and decrease fatigue from intense workouts. Drink your coffee. It's fine. As long as you aren't an Olympic athlete because it is banned because it gives an unfair advantage in performance. :wink:
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I found the page, so I'll type out this passage in the Skinny B*tch book:
    " Caffeine can cause headaches,
    Caffeine doesn't cause headaches. Withdrawal does.
    digestive problems, irritation of the stomach and bladder, peptic ulcers, diarrhea, constipation,
    Caffeine doesn't cause these either but will trigger & aggrevate pre-existing digestive disorders.
    fatigue, anxiety, and depression
    Seriously? Fatigue? Depression? Please tell me you take this reading with a grain of salt?.
    It affects every organ system, from the nervous system to the skin. Caffeine raises stress hormone levels, inhibits important enzyme systems that are responsible for cleansing the body, and sensitizes nerve reception sites. One study even links caffeine to an increased susceptibility to diabetes. But don't go grabbing for the decaf. Coffee, whether regular or decaf is highly acidic. Acidic foods cause your body to produce fat cells, in order to keep the acid away from your organs. (Do NOT link this acid issue to citrus and other fruit) So coffee equals fat cells. "

Hope this helps!

Oiy.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience it has not hindered my weight loss but then again I have gone from adding creamer sugar to taking it black. I may drink anywhere from 2-4 cups a day.

Same here and I have lost nearly 70 pounds since last March. I am not worried about my caffeine consumption. I only drink hot or cold tea, water, soy milk, almond milk. I don't drink coffee or sodas.
  • jeneey
    jeneey Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks to my son's friend who is an avid body builder/health nut :) he showed me this article. I am going back to coffee, at least one cup a day because I love it so much.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/caffeine-factor-its-the-highly-beloved-most-ingested-drug-in-the-world-for-a-good-reason.html