BANANAS

Options
I was just looking at someone's food diary and i noticed a Banana was listed as 425calories....I WAS SHOCKED...so i searched online to confirm...

A typical banana should only be about 107 calories. I went back to find who's diary i was looking at, and i cant find it anymore.

There is obviously incorrect data in the food list!!!!

Replies

• rfarley64014
    rfarley64014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You really have to watch which entry you are choosing. Some bananas are list by size (in) or by cup.
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Lots of stuff on here is not right because we can all make our own entries... sometimes I think people like to fudge the truth about their calories when they create a food. So be careful!
  • jaybaileys
    jaybaileys Posts: 317
    Options
    Maybe it was deep fried.
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Holy Bananas, Batman! I might actually avoid my favorite food if it had 425 cals!!! :happy:

Good for you to look out for your friends' diaries like that :heart:
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you really have to watch it. Some of us are not all that careful when we enter stuff. Or WE know what we mean, but we don't make it clear to others. You really do need to work your way through the list and find the one that seems right. Sometimes that means re-entering it yourself.

I've often reported clearly messed-up nutrition as inaccurate, only to see that others have confirmed it! Can't quite figure that out!
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    or maybe they ate 4 of them...
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Banana CHEESECAKE :D
  • tonisteedley
    Options
    I know, yesterday I entered a roasted, skinless chicken leg, and it told me it had 995 mg of sodium. About had a heart attack !!! So yes you have to be careful you pick the right one...
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    or maybe they ate 4 of them...
  • cnash81
    cnash81 Posts: 30
    Options
    Definately look to see how many users have confirmed that particular data.
  • cnash81
    cnash81 Posts: 30
    Options
    Maybe it was deep fried.

eeeewwww!!!!!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I typically try to choose the myfitnesspal default database entries that do not have an *. They usually let you choose from numerous serving sizes, and I trust them more than the ones entered by others, unless I double-check the others by having the product at hand.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    This is a database that each individual can enter information on, so you do have to be really careful about your entries. If I don't have a clue about something, I will certainly check another source before I just accept what someone else has entered. Also when you are logging a food entered by someone else and you KNOW the info is correct, it is helpful if you confirm it and MFP keeps track of how many confirmations a certain entry has which to me makes it more valid.
  • jessielg
    jessielg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks you for the post. I loaded in my food diary hienz chicken noodle soup. apparently it has 1,200g of salt just check and it's 12g. i'll keep a closer check
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard when adding in food calories, as there are so many choices for some foods!!! Some foods can range from 100-300 cal!! And all in different weights/measurements. So I try to add my own ones I am confident in and then keep using them. Very confusing!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    thanks you for the post. I loaded in my food diary hienz chicken noodle soup. apparently it has 1,200g of salt just check and it's 12g. i'll keep a closer check

lol 12000 grams of salt. You'd be dead.
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    I always double check entries I am unsure of. There are some reasonably accurate on-line sources for nutritional content.

But, yeah, I have seen some crazy (both low and high) counts on basic (vegetables, grains) items. I love rice and would be thrilled if the caloric value was as low as some of the entries indicate, but that is a dangerous road. Conversely, I seriously doubt that the raw pear I just ate has 5 grams of saturated fat (this has since been amended or deleted).

My recommendation would be that unless you are familiar with the basic nutritional information for any given item, look it up and verify, especially if it is something that is consumed frequently.
  • megan_mp
    megan_mp Posts: 77
    Options
    I just looked up banana nutrition info this evening and figured out that a banana is roughly 25 calories per ounce...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!