Working through pain

Options
Okay, so I was diagnosed with lumbar stenosis which is really friggin' painful, by the way. I was alright, exercising a decent amount each day until I was scheduled for my pain management epidurals. My doctor says I'm not allowed any painkillers for 4 days leading up to the injections, starting yesterday, which has left me....ugh. It's horrible, I can't sleep because of my back, I can't stay in any one position, sitting or standing for too long, and gods help me trying to stretch, power walk, and forget lifting my dumbbells altogether, that's awful. But I know I can't allow myself to slack off completely, there has to be some sort of exercise I can do without putting too much strain on my back. I'm also interested in any meditation techniques that can help me work through the pain without pills. Any ideas?

Replies

• Amaris1973
    Amaris1973 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Very simple breathing technique is just lay down comfortable, breathe through your nose and on each out breath repeat in your mind 'letting go' by this we are refering to the pain of course. Alternatively you could visualise the pain in your mind as a black dark cloud. While breathing slowly, imagine yourself shining a huge light into the cloud, breaking it apart until the cloud disolves completely.

Swimming could be one idea for excersise as the water carries your weight better, it is very good wholebody excersise, you would have to try few different swim styles to see how you felt with your back and which would cause you least discomfort.
  • CallousMalice
    Options
    Hey, that's not bad. Thanks. As for swimming.......not sure if my gym has a pool. Haven't exactly been there yet... lol But I will totally go check that out when I come home from work this morning.. thanks!
  • CallousMalice
    Options
    So no back-friendly exercises? I find that hard to believe.
  • wenchK
    wenchK Posts: 1
    Options
    Mal, simple stretching exercises can be done while sitting at the desk or computer, that shouldn't put a strain on your back. Also while doing house work etc. You'll be fine and it won't be long now till those pain meds are given. ~hugs~ xxx
  • lil_miss_stephy
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia and everyday I work out through the pain. Swimming / water therapy like mentioned before has always been recommended to me and does feel great. Also Yoga.
  • CallousMalice
    Options
    Stephy-

Sorry to hear it, sounds painful. But I'm glad you found a way through it. Later this week I have an appointment with a personal trainer. I don't usually like them but with any luck my gym has a pool (now that the epidural meds are starting to kick in I can finally go) and maybe he can help me not mess myself up, that would be nice.
    Wenchie, I do stretches all the time but it doesn't burn that many calories. Though I suppose every little bit helps, right? Thanks, both of you.
  • faithikins
    faithikins Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Callous I have emailed a friend of mine who lost an insane amount of weight (whilst waiting for a back op and couldn't work) to see what exercises he did during that time. He had to lose weight for the op and looks fantastic! I hopefully will have an answer for you soon :smile:
  • lil_miss_stephy
    Options
    Thank you! A personal trainer is a good idea, especially if you can find one who is knowledgeable on how to work with clients who have chronic pain issues. I was working with one who was amazing (she had a baby and now stays home so our sessions ended) she was always asking me about my pain levels and created awesome modified functional strength training circuits for me. (Functional means building the muscles you use on a daily basis rather than bodybuilding certain muscles for aesthetic purposes.)
    Hope you find a good trainer, good luck!!
    =)
  • CallousMalice
    Options
    Thanks, both of you. Faith, no rush, get back to me about it when you can, I've been kind of AWOL lately anyway. Good for your friend, glad he did so well because believe me, it's hell trying to work out through that kind of pain. Hope the surgery made him feel a lot better.