Anyone ever reached a weight they NEVER had before

Options
I am a bit frustrated - I have lost quite a lot of weight in the past (5 Stone) - I worked in a very physical job for 1.5 years which helped me to shift the weight. HOWEVER I was never able to weigh less than 11 stone (154 lbs) no matter what I did. I tried it for 4 years now. This time I was so frustrated that I put 2 stone on instead!! (I am working from home now as well which doesn't help). I am on my way back to 11 stone now and I am quite confident. I am 5.5 ft and always had a weight problem. I was a slim kid but a chubby teenager. I think it's because I NEVER weighed less at my current height that my body just doesn't want to get rid of it. I had a big belly as far as I can remember and my DD-cup size doesn't help either (great, I am small and big breasted with a big tummy...how I hate it).. I'm always joking with my mates that my breast alone weigh 10 lbs each so that might be the reason :-)

Anyone out there who ever reached a weight they NEVER had before in their adulthood?

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Me! :O)
    Never before got below 11 stone 11. 165 lbs.
    Got to 159 pounds as of this morning.
    All thanks for MFP :O)
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Be encouraged you can do it. I am similar to you in that I am 5ft 5, have always been at 11 stone (ish) and I have always had 'fat belly', but last year, with lots of focus, sensible eating and the help of a personal trainer I got down to my lowest weight ever 10st 3. It might not sound like much to others but for me it was a huge achievement.

Losing a stone (or there abouts) mean that I was a proper size 10 (UK size) and it also meant that I had managed to lose almost 4 inches from my waist, something I didn't even think was physically possible.

Sadly an undiagnosed under active thyroid mean that over the bourse of about 6 months I put most of the weight back on :sad: so here I am again trying to lose 10lbs.

The only difference this time is that I know I can do it as I've done it before. It is possible and you can do it too. The thing that helped me most was really cutting down on my sugar intake and cutting out carbs as much as possible have only wholeweat/grain ones if I did have carbs.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you need more motivation :laugh:
  • thegreenjudy
    Options
    @sunshine79

That sounds great - Thanks! Unfortunately I am not a fan of low carb diets :-( I did it myself before and didn't lose anything and felt sick all the time...haha...I did work out though and the scales still wouldn't move. Maybe I have to try harder?? Your story really motivated me though!! Thanks for that!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Count me as one of those who's done it. I now actually weigh a bit less than when I graduated from high school over 3 decades ago. After 3 kids and being overweight/obese for many years, I didn't think it would be possible. Surprise!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I wasn't on a ow carb diet as such, it's just that I used to eat a LOT of carbs, I love bread and pastries rice pasta etc :happy: :happy: :happy: so I just tried to reduce the amount of these I ate. I don't agree with cutting out any particular food group either but I just tried to eat less of them and if I was having carbs I made sure they were brown.
  • thegreenjudy
    Options
    Yes, I work with a nutritionist (she is really good and cheap by the way - if anyone wants her email ask me :-) ) and she encourages me to eat more wholemeal stuff. I hardly ever touch white flour anyway but sometimes you can't avoid it.
    Think my biggest downfall are NUTS ..haha..I go nuts over nuts!! And yes, my own homemade cakes...I LOVE cooking and since it has to be eaten I tend to overeat :-( But I am working hard in my attitude!
  • wmartin8
    wmartin8 Posts: 22
    Options
    I definitely fall under this category. I've been exercising and dieting for years and never seemed to move past the 165lbs area. The times I did go under, i just seemed to take an extreme effort to achieve which I told myself couldn't be sustained in the long run. So, mostly I would diet and exercise intensely for 1 week and go back to my less rigid diet and still be 165lbs despite having logged in many many miles on the thread mill and barely having eaten anything at all to sustain a goat. It was just so damn frustrating sometimes. But, I kept at it, being how diet and exercise had become a way of life for me now after doing for so long.

Ultimately though, despite the fact I had tried to kept track of calories before, I decided that knowing exactly what I was putting in my body and what I was burning was essential for me to lose weight. So, thank god for myfitnesspal and the android app that definitely takes a lot of the stress off of counting calories. No longer do I have to sit and ponder about all of the calories that I had during the day to figure what kinda size meal I can have for dinner. Now, it's all easy and streamlined. I just click a couple of buttons and I'm good to go. So, now since I've started using myfitnesspal, and logging in my calories, I have manage to lose around 9 pounds and I'm around 153lbs. Which despite my previous efforts, and all my time at the gym, I can honestly say I had never reached before! So for that I am static! and it only motivates me more to keep going.

I do eat a lot of protein in my diet, 'cause at this point in my life, i've been on a high protein diet for so long that I just crave it every single meal. But the reality of it all is, if you want to loose weight you have to eat less than you burn. It's as simple as that. You can cut carbs, fat, protein or whatever you want, but ultimately it just comes down to how many calories come in and how many go out. So, make life easier for yourself and realize what some of us don't yet understand: loosing weight it's not about fancy diets, complicated exercise plans, or running a 5k (although a 5k is a great motivator), it's all about making that small change that will make things bareable enough for you to make the change that you wanna make. So, don't go crazy and starve yourself, make small changes here and there, and things will start falling into place.
  • thegreenjudy
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply's! It does really help! But first of all I am gonna shift the 20 lbs I out on (will be easy) and then I'll work on going below 154 lbs..man that's gonna be a challenge..