Muscle Development Vs. Sweating?

Options
So here's my story!

Due to asthma problems and other life issues I haven't done any real high-impact training for close to seven years. I have managed to get to the point where I can be on the elliptical for hours.

However recently I've started trying to do C25K and I LOVE it!

What I can do of it anyway. I'm using totally different muscles than the ones I developed on the elliptical with low-impact training. So there are times where I'm in crippling muscle pain (especially in my lower calves). I figured that I'll just keep walking/ running and pushing my limits until my muslces develop more and eventually I'll get to marathon status, it just might take my longer.

The problem is that doing this doesn't make me really sweat. Yeah, there's some but nothing significant and I always see people talking about how if you're not sweating you're not working out properly.

So my question is - do I just keep doing what I'm doing until my muscles grow more and I can get to the point or sweat? Does anyone have other suggestions?

(PS - yes I'm doing weights too and yes I'm pushing my limits. I used to be an avid athlete and know the limits of my body and have a fairly high pain tolerance so I'm not just whining)

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think that if you're moving/ being active, then you're burning calories. If you take the bottom rung of the mythical 'fat burning zone' most people wouldnt sweat. It's like walking pace. You definitely burn calories when you walk :bigsmile:

However, I do think you could do some extra strength training on your calves. Also, I think you need to take recovery days as it's in the recovery mode that muscle develops, not in the stress mode. If that makes sense?

So good to hear that you love it, and that you're overcoming your asthma!!! That, my dear, is the best news!!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is any connection between the amount you sweat and how hard you are working. There is another article or post on here about that. If you do a search for "sweating" you should find it.

Either way, there are a lot of factors to sweating. I can sweat in my sleep, but not during a workout. Duration of exercise, clothing, temperature around your, air movement, etc all contribute. Don't focus on how much you are sweating, but the end goal of your 5K :-)

Just keep working at your 5K program. Allow yourself rest and keep at it. Way to work hard and keep moving forward!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    you could try out a heart rate monitor. that would show what you are burning regardless of sweat. but, i think you are doing an amazing job, and if you keep progressing as you are, that is the most important thing!
  • CallousMalice
    Options
    Don't think any less of me but I had to google C25K. (Do they include Slipknot on their podcast playlists? That would kick *kitten*.) Actually, this whole topic is news to me. I thought sweating = weight loss too. Shows how much I know. But if you really want to sweat, try either layering on the clothing while you work out, or turn on the hot shower and work out in the bathroom while steam builds up. It'll probably do some good for your asthma too. Keep us updated!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    But if you really want to sweat, try either layering on the clothing while you work out, or turn on the hot shower and work out in the bathroom while steam builds up. It'll probably do some good for your asthma too.

I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my entire life.
    Do you want her to get nothing but overheated and dehydrated and faint???
  • Debinapril
    Debinapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's a funny thing, some people sweat more than others even if they're working hard. Now I'm a sweater and hate it! I look like I've been in the shower, it runs down my neck and drips off my nose. I'm told it's healthy.......but.....:ohwell:
    I saw someone mention a heart rate monitor and I think it's a good suggestion. I always use a HRM and work within training bands depending on the type of session. It's a better measurement of effort than how much you sweat.:smile: