How many calories???

Options
I work in nursing & am on my feet, walking back & forth all day. How many cal's do you think that would be (aprox)? Or, what could I count it as under cardio? Walking, slow pace or something?

Replies

• funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Maybe invest in a pedometer? You can get them dirt cheap on eBay xx
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Would your lifestyle setting take care of all the walking you'd do for your job?
  • nicnak1981
    nicnak1981 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think your lifestyle setting would take care of the walking.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    No need to log it as long as you've selected the appropriate option when setting your goals :-)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this the other day.. I don't log it as exercise, only because I don't want to give myself credit for too much. I'd rather come under for the day.

I would think the lifestyle setting would factor that in; However, I am not changing mine because I'm not running around at the hospital on a -daily- basis..

Just my two cents.
  • han182
    han182 Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm in nursing too (student midwife) and my lifestyle is logged as sendetory as half the time I'm at college, so I bought a pedometer that shows how many steps I have done, then convert the steps into calories on the "Livestrong" website and log them!
    Hope that helps
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I think you'd be better off setting your lifestyle as lightly active and just adding exercise you set out to do in your exercise journal. I'm a teacher and on my feet all day too. That's what I did with mine and it works for me.
  • misterpiano
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, there are a few apps..

I use one called iTreadmill, it was either 99 cents or $1.99, I don't remember, but it works great. I work as an engineer in a machine shop and at lunchtime if the weather here in New England is crappy I walk up and down the aisles inside and manage to get in 2 miles in a half hour. You can also turn it on and forget it, it has auto start/stop mode. We used it while walking around a big camping show last weekend and at the end it showed we logged in over 2 1/2 miles! (What the heck, if I'm gonna walk may as well track it!). You can set goals for time, pace, distance, calories, etc. At the end of your walk it shows how far and how fast and how many calories. You can tell it what exercise you are doing..walking, jogging, etc. I have also used it while jogging in place in my living room.

The other one is called Walkmeter. It is GPS based and very accurate. I use that one whenever I am walking outside at lunchtime or after work. It does the same thing, but instead of being calibrated to your stride, it uses GPS to track your distance. At the end of your exercise it gives you all of the information, plus a satelite map of where you've been. I use both of them when walking outside so I can double check the accuracy of the iTreadmill...(just the engineer in me I guess!). Also very cheap, just a dollar or two.

The advantage is that I always have my iPhone with me, I use it constantly for MFP to check foods and log in what I eat, so I also always have my pedometer and my music all in a small portable package on my hip.

Sorry, not really supposed to be a commercial for the iPhone, but it has become an important tool (for me anyway) to keep on track!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    "Lightly active" as your lifestyle choice. It takes the calculation of energy into it.

Do not count it towards your cardio intake.
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    I think your lifestyle setting would take care of the walking.

I'm not sure on that one, as I work every other weekend, so MOST days the "lifestyle setting" would be different than my work days..
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    I'm in nursing too (student midwife) and my lifestyle is logged as sendetory as half the time I'm at college, so I bought a pedometer that shows how many steps I have done, then convert the steps into calories on the "Livestrong" website and log them!
    Hope that helps

Sounds PERFECT! :) I just bought a HRM/Pedometer. Soon as I figure it out, I'm headed to the gym, & I'll wear it to work tomorrow as well! Thanks for the Livestrong tip!