Homemade Fajitas/Tacos

Options
I want some healthy ideas to satisfy mexican cravings / Foods to make at home :):wink:

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    fajitas are not too bad in cals you can get lower cal tortillas,make your own salsa(super easy)no cals also!
    chicken /turkey middles and stuffed with lettace/salad items yummm, tacos you have to remember are deep fried before you start!!
  • SeaShell33
    SeaShell33 Posts: 141
    Options
    I put the things I would in taco or burrito on a salad. I use lite sour cream instead of dressing...sooo yummy! I cant live without mexican food=)
  • jleshko
    jleshko Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I make fajitas all the time at home excellent low calorie meal...

ingredients
    - Chicken breast meat or Chicken loins - 100 - 200 grams per serving
    - Red and Green Peppers - one each
    - Whole Large Onion
    - Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1 - 2 tablespoons
    - Sargento reduced fat 3 cheese Mexican (Shredded) 1/4 cup per serving
    - teaspoon of Cumin
    - half of a fresh lemon (will use the juice)

I use a wok but a skillet will work too... Put the olive oil in the pan and bring it up to a medium high temp, Chop up the peppers and onion to the consistency you like (i prefer big pieces) add to the pan and get them good and cooked. I love my onions carmellized so let them go for a while they should start to sizzle but not smoke or burn, flip often. In another pan I begin to cook the chicken. Slice it to the size pieces of your preference/ Let them cook on non stick pan with some PAM spray to keep them from sticking, you want to slowly cook them mostly through. When you feel the chicken is just about done kick up the heat to brown it a little get a sizzle... When browned add to the veggies and mix it in. At this point the veggies should be nice and cooked. Add the cumin and mix it in, then squeeze the lemon on top and mix it. Lastly add the cheese let it melt a bit and mix it in. I then add the franks hot sauce, I like a lot you can use a little or none and then mix it a bit. I usually eat one on a fajita and the remainder with a fork right out of the plate. Make for an outstanding and fillin 400-600 calorie meal depending on portion size. You can check my diary for exact calorie counts.
  • jennyfoxx
    jennyfoxx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you like seafood try Shrimp fajitas or taco's. I use low fat Mexican cheese from Trader Joe's and low fat re-fried pinto beans from Whole foods - DELICIOUS!! My family and I crave fajitas and tacos and usually feel satisfied after a couple yummy shrimp fajitas. We also use low carb fajitas. Hope this helps!
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You can use Ole' High Fiber Toritillas, there amazing - I use them for almost EVERYTHING, and they have something like 12 g of fiber and 80 calories. They're fairly large, so I would suggest cutting one in half and making yourself 2-4-1's. Using turkey or beans instead of beef is another good way to cut back, and of course stuff with lots of yummy veggies. I use them to make quesadillas, with low fat mexican cheese, it doesn't take much, and black beans, then I dip them in rotels tomatoes and chilies - extra hot for breakfast sometimes. I LOVE :love: MEXICAN FOOD!
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you like seafood try Shrimp fajitas or taco's. I use low fat Mexican cheese from Trader Joe's and low fat re-fried pinto beans from Whole foods - DELICIOUS!! My family and I crave fajitas and tacos and usually feel satisfied after a couple yummy shrimp fajitas. We also use low carb fajitas. Hope this helps!

Has anyone tried fish tacos? They look good, but I'm not sure they sound good?!? If you've enjoyed them, would you please share how to make? Thanks.
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Turkey mince chilli served in lettuce leaves instead of taco/tortilla, serve with fresh salsa and low fat natural yoghurt.
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I always make my healthy baked "enchiladas" and they are super easy and fast.
    First I sautee onions, peppers, zucchini..whatever veggies you want..till they are soft. Then sometimes I add a little corn. When they are almost cooked I add lots of spices- chilli powder, a little cumin, lots of garlic and sometimes even a dash of cinnamon. Then I get a can of black beans and I mush it up.
    I take whole grain tortilla shells, spread the mushed black beans, add some of those veggies and roll up and put in a casserole dish (sprayed with olive oil). I do all tortillas like this in the baking dish. Then I add a jar of salsa over top...a bit of chopped green onion if you like..then top with a little low fat grated cheese. I broil it under the oven and voila..super tasty, lots of veggies and protein from the beans and tortilla. I eat mine with a little avocado instead of sour cream and I love it!
    PS- I sometimes add chopped jalapenos to the beans or veggies if I want that extra heat. Good luck. you can also do quesadillas with the same idea.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I googled taco mix and came up with a good mix of ingreds to make tacos or fajitas. I them made up a container of my own mixture. The worst part of taco mix is the darn sodium! This eliminates this isssue.

I buy Whole Wheat wraps (you have to shop around and try some before finding one that tastes good though) and then I load up on veggies............I love my homemade fajitas so much better because they are not dripping in oil:love:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I googled taco mix and came up with a good mix of ingreds to make tacos or fajitas. I them made up a container of my own mixture. The worst part of taco mix is the darn sodium! This eliminates this isssue.

I buy Whole Wheat wraps (you have to shop around and try some before finding one that tastes good though) and then I load up on veggies............I love my homemade fajitas so much better because they are not dripping in oil:love:
  • sm26davis
    sm26davis Posts: 52
    Options
    We do chicken fajitas and we cook the chicken on the foreman while the peppers, onion and garlic cook in a skillet with some olive oil and some seasoning like sea salt, pepper, little cilantro, little garlic powder( we love garlic) I love to get the peppers a little charred looking. Make your own gaucamole to, if you like gaucamole. then we also use low carb medium tortilla wraps. There are pretty good.

Then we alos do a taco salad with lettuce shreds ground turkey, taco seasoning and baked tostito scoops. Assemble in a bowl and we add fat free Dorthy lynch salad dressing but its also good with a light/fat free french. You can also add your own salsa and/or gaucamole. Not to bad.
  • am_lowe
    am_lowe Posts: 113
    Options
    i love the "side" of bean dip! although i eat it as my main dish and make the kids taco salads. first season refried beans with taco seasoning. you can add a little chipolte pepper for heat. layer the beans with avocado, black olives, and shredded cheese. heat until cheese melts. top with salsa (my fave brand is"marketside" from walmart!), and plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream. serve with homemade pita chips or tortilla chips. i have a weakness for tostito's multigrain tortilla chips. YUM :tongue: so gooooood!!