what activities are included in "sedentary" setting?

Options
I notice a small number of people logging non-exercise activities... and I don't mean digging in the garden or such like, I mean stuff like "food preparation".

Surely if you give yourself extra calories for a bit of vegetable chopping would that not lead to double accounting, assuming that preparing meals would be part of normal life activities??

Confused.

Replies

• mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I am a stay-at-home mom so cleaning, food prep, things like that are in my daily activity, but if I clean anything extra than what is normal or make a bigger meal than I usualy do, I will add the calories. Say I clean my floor boards or wash my windows or something, I will add that. And sometimes I will clean my moms for extra $$ and I will add those calories too.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I personally don't add anything in except things I do to purposely workout. The number of calories burned doing normal activities is so minuscule I don't bother. Especially if I normally burn around 100 calories per hour anyway, I don't think many people subtract what they would burn even if they didn't do anything to get the actual calories burnt from that specific activity, so they may be over estimating their burn as well.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    I don't log ANYTHING except for actual exercise. Unless it get's my heart rate up like working out does, it doesn't count. That's just my opinion though. :)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom and I have mine set to sedentary. I've notice some people logging in food preparation or light cleaning as well. I've actually logged in light cleaning one time and to me, it felt like I was just giving myself extra calories to eat. So to me now, if I'm not breaking a sweat..I'm not logging it in. I do all the cleaning, cooking and everything else a mother/wife does and I still got fat before my weight loss.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I don't log ANYTHING except for actual exercise. Unless it get's my heart rate up like working out does, it doesn't count. That's just my opinion though. :)

I'm the same. I mean if I had dug my whole garden over I might consider it but not things like shopping, cooking... I mean that's just LIFE isn't it??
  • Robyn1733
    Robyn1733 Posts: 58
    Options
    I am a SAHM and I dont log anything but actual exercise (ie what I do at the YMCA). The only extra thing I add is the "walking" i do when grocery shopping or mall shopping. I count everything else as normal activities. and if I burn a few extra calories doing it, then i guess its my gain (or should I say weight loss).
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I never add anything like cleaning, even floor washing, there are reasons they don't have housework classes at the gym. It seems to me that if you are going to be logging food preperation and things like that then those people must be so desperate for extra calories that maybe they might want to reasses how serious they are about this journey. If we start to see people chopping carrots and peeling potatoes as a work out on Biggest Loser then I might start thinking again. :happy:

I would say that is you spend a day digging your garden or cutting down trees and you usually soend it pushing a vacuum round and a duster, with a bit of washing up and a spot of ironong, then that will burn ore calories than you would normally burn, so might be worth logging, although I personally don't count things like that. :flowerforyou:
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I only log specific exercise. And I do think that those are probably overstated because you don't deduct the number of calories that you would have burnt anyway just by being alive.
  • plainjoe81
    plainjoe81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Work twice a week in the kitchen of a restaurant, other wise my work is sedentary in an office, thus I have entered a sedentary lifestyle, but when on my feet I'm recording it as light cleaning or food prep depending on what the restaurant shift throws at me.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options

I'm the same. I mean if I had dug my whole garden over I might consider it but not things like shopping, cooking... I mean that's just LIFE isn't it??

It is! I completely agree!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i don't log daily activities like that either, but for those who are curious about calories burned, they would subtract from their HRM number the number of calories they would have burned at rest (divide daily maintenance calories by 1440 to get calories burned per minute, then multiply by number of minutes of daily activity). i calculated that i burn 70 calories/hr at rest, and i can't imagine my daily activities burning considerably much more than that.

on a related note, i guess to be really accurate with number of calories burned during purposeful workouts, we should also subtract from that the number of calories we would have burned at rest? or easier that that, maybe we shouldn't eat back all our exercise calories, just half or something. thoughts?
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    I'm surprised how many people are saying house cleaning dosn't burn calories!! I often sweat when I am cleaning!! The new weight watchers points plus program gives you extra points for doing things like cleaning a bathtub. It's hard work people!!! If it only counts when you sweat, then everyone would be in the same category instead of having to choose if you are sedentary, moderately active, or very active.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I notice a small number of people logging non-exercise activities... and I don't mean digging in the garden or such like, I mean stuff like "food preparation".

Surely if you give yourself extra calories for a bit of vegetable chopping would that not lead to double accounting, assuming that preparing meals would be part of normal life activities??
    I agree with you. Any calories burned by such activities are included in normal daily activity and those people who log them as exercise are just messing up their true calorie deficit.
  • appleshells
    appleshells Posts: 165
    Options
    I am on my feet literally 12 hours a day at work. It is not unusual for me to walk 5-10 miles in a day (we all wore pedometers to see who walked the most once). I do not log any of that. I have considered logging CPR because that is a CRAZY workout, but it's morbid so I wouldn't. LOL

I will however log when I mop my floors because it gets my heart rate elevated.

Then again, I won't even log the wii fit calories because I think they are so small. LOL I am a mess.
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    Then again, I won't even log the wii fit calories because I think they are so small. LOL I am a mess.

I have lost 28 pounds only doing wii fit!! You should count them!!
  • backinthenines
    Options
    , there are reasons they don't have housework classes at the gym.

LOL Karen that made me laugh. :laugh:

Perhaps a circuit at the gym... an extra filthy bathtub... a mop & bucket station.... two dusters.... a hoover... and iron & board & pile of crinkly clothes...

GO!!!

2 minutes at each station circuit style!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • backinthenines
    Options
    I have considered logging CPR because that is a CRAZY workout, but it's morbid so I wouldn't.

:laugh:
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    There is also the consideration that some people may truly be sedentary. I've known people who were too out of shape to do things like cooking or cleaning...so for them it might be actual excercise.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set as sedentary however I happen to do janitorial work four to five days a week.
    Since I have done my job for over 16 years it is not much of a challenge so all I usually do is mark down maybe 30 minutes of sweeping when I really do two hours of it. Or 20 min burnishing/ mopping ect. when I did ten times the amount.

The only time I mark down all the work I did as exercise is when I have did a strip and wax job and spent hours and hours of sweating and hefting.

I seldom eat any of the calories I gain from exercise and most of the time don't even make it to my calorie goal. Not sure on the validity of eating all of ones calories when I am allowed over 1900 a day. Not like I can starve on that and I think that the calorie count is messed up for people who are obese since the calorie calculation is made for mostly those that are into sports. It makes sense that a person who is 300l bs of muscle needs the calories but a person who is 300 lbs of mostly fat I don't thinks needs the same requirements.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    reminds me of a time that one of my pals here on MPF was given a hard time about logging hours and hours of food prep and it turned out she was a line cook in a restautant! :laugh: :laugh: