What kind of weight lifting is best for weight loss?

Options
I've lifted a lot of weights in my day mostly to increase strength and mass. These days I'm looking to lose weight. I realize that most cardiovascular exercise burns calories during the exercise while strenuous weight lifting (~70% of max or more) uses up calories in the recovery period after the lift. Is it possible to increase lean muscle mass in conjunction with cardiovascular workouts to increase caloric burn during and after work outs? What kind of weight lifting is best for weight loss? Circuit training with lighter weights? Should I focus on alternating muscle group specific workouts with heavier weights?

Replies

• dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    Really comes down to intensity. To really reap any benefit from it , rep failure has to happen. I have been at it for 15 years and that is one of the few bodybuilding ideals that hasn'rt changed. Gotta do those reps to complete failure to reach full intensity. That will help any possible muscle loss during dieting.
    I keep reps in the 8-10 range....meaning I am completely shot ( can't move the weight anymore ) between those numbers.
    Also nothing comes close to multiple muscle movements....like squats, bench press, pull ups, deadlift. Compound movemnts burn the calories.....much more so than that dude in the gym doing 800 reps of bicep curls.
  • ziggygirl2003
    ziggygirl2003 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would like to know as well, replying so I can check back on this later.:smile:
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
  • fatmatt2009
    Options
    I just always was taught that more wieght , less reps = Mass And Less wieght more reps = Tone
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I agree with dieseljay74, compound movements are your best bet. And you have to lift to the point of muscle failure. That means when you've done your last rep, try to do another. It's not comfortable, but it works!

So far, it doesn't seem as if the amount of weight you use is as important as reaching the "muscle failure" point.

I've heard that cardio mixed with strength training can actually lessen the effects of strength training. I've also heard that 20-30 minutes of cardio pre-strength can increase the effects. So I'm still not sure which is better, a clean, low-cardio, strength-training workout, or cardio/strength mixed? I've been doing both.

I know that it's best to work between two machines and two muscle groups instead of resting in between sets. So, say, work on squats, then move to chin-ups while resting your legs. Very intense workout!
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I know you're a dude, and it doesn't seem like the most dudely thing to do. But have you ever considered yoga? It's a pretty good calorie burn for something that pretty much shreds your muscles apart. Nothing is sexier then a guy who has the confidence to try a class full of girls, very flexible girls at that. Just saying. :wink:
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Circuit training is best. Go to menshealth.com for workout programs . Good luck .
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I'd say circuit training...and it doesn't have to involve lighter weights. I've been circuit training for a year now as its a great way to combine cardio with making sure you get your muscles working (which of course burns more calories). This has been under the tutelage of my brilliant trainer! I've been doing various weight exercises of 12 - 15 reps (times 3 sets) with a steady increase in the amount of weight. I have doubled my chest press weight in a year and lost 75lbs.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    This is a topic i have been wanting to know about as well...posting that so i can refer back. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    It does come down to intensity. Exercises that use multiple muscle groups as mentioned above. Also, you may want to Metabolic Resistance Training (MRT). It is a weight based type of Interval training which shows very good promise in losing fat. I just became aware of it recently reading an article by John Romanello (if I recall the name correctly). It looks like a good combination of Interval and weights. In the past I have had very good success using a pure muscle building routine with little cardio. Recently I have started to do Tabata intervals using dumbells doing something like a front squat holding the dumbells at my shoulders elbows in. During the interval I do a squat come up and do a dumbell press as fast as I can while retaining good form. I did this for the first time yesterday and every muscle in my body is sore today. All this for a 4 minute workout. Here is a good sight on Tabata stuff (and Intervals for that matter) http://www.intervaltraining.net/tabata.html I have just started reasearching MRT so I don't have good sites to send you to for explanations. Oh, on youtube you can find videos of people called tabata thrusters doing their tabata style workout.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I know you're a dude, and it doesn't seem like the most dudely thing to do. But have you ever considered yoga? It's a pretty good calorie burn for something that pretty much shreds your muscles apart. Nothing is sexier then a guy who has the confidence to try a class full of girls, very flexible girls at that. Just saying. :wink:

Hmmm....:glasses:
  • Rzimmermano
    Options
    I've added in weights to my workout about two years ago, and not only have I lost weight (fat), but many, many inches to my arms, butt, tummy, back and legs. I can lose the same amount of calories doing weights as I can with cardio when I do it right. I was told to do at least three sets of each type, 12 per rep. Starting out with a weight that is not too hard, but not too light. You need to be able to do it properly and slowly to feel the burn. Make sure and pause at the top. The most important rule to remember is to rotate quickly to the next set that works the opposite side of your body. So if your doing a chest press, make sure you rotate with the sitting row. If your doing abs, go right into the lower back, if your pulling, then do pushing, and so on. It's made a huge difference with weight loss and how my clothes feel. Good luck!! Keep us posted!!
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Not that I am much of a weight lifter for bulk... but if you want to lose weight, muscle bulk does burn more calories at rest.

However, for maximum calories burned (which I do know something about), you need to do "circuits." Keep your heart rate up, by not resting between sets. Don't sit on the machine like a lump for 2 minutes between sets like most people do.

The only problem is if you go to a gym when its busy, then there are too many people and you have to wait for machines which defeats the purpose. My husband and I used to sit on machines next to each other and kept switching off for 3 or 4 sets, then we'd move to 2 new machines and switch off.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    bump
  • carguy42503
    carguy42503 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think Anne is spot on... circuit training with less weight & more reps is what you want to shoot for. Also, ideally, you want no rest time in between stations to make it as aerobic as possible... you want to keep your heart rate up in the "fat burning" zone.
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    i agree. circuit training.. compound moves working multiple muscle groups at once like squats with a shoulder press. the more muscles your working at once, the higher your HR is meaning many more calories burnt and creating lean muscle mass. I usually stick with weights on the lighter side, for me though its harder to use heavier weights while doing moves like that (like squats with shoulder press etc) cause your def working harder and got much more movement going on but whatever weight you feel you can get thru with while maintaining good form as well. one word. JILLIAN MICHAELS I kno your a guy and u wouldnt prefer that lol but she is GREAT with circuit training and working many many muscle groups at once, no joke. its actually a workout im sure any guy could get results with as well. her style of training is exactly what we are talking about..!