pre-workout meals in the morning

Options
During the week, i often will do my workouts in the morning. Being pressed for time, i prefer to workout and then eat breakfast, but will be low on energy. However, i don't want to get up so early that i eat and wait 45 minutes for the food to partially digest. Also, eating and then working out has a tendency to make me slightly nautious (sp?). Anyone have a good preworkout meal that gives them energy eaten no longer than 30 min preworkout?

Thanks!

Replies

• zandhmom75
    zandhmom75 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'll eat a banana or almonds or walnuts, or a piece of toast with 1 tbsp natural p.b.
  • rockerbaby2003
    rockerbaby2003 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I eat a special K bar and some fruit as I'm driving to the gym, saving myself time. Another idea is a whole grain waffle with a TBSP of peanut butter, although I use soy butter because I'm allergic to peanut butter. I put it in a paper towel and pour a glass of V8 green tea splash and take my breakfast on the road in a paper towel.
  • foxynurse
    Options
    I just eat half a banana on my way to the gym.
  • irisbear
    irisbear Posts: 14
    Options
    I eat a Special K protein meal replacement bar or I drink a high protein Boost, or protein shake on the way to the gym.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions so far.

I realize that eating something before you go is the best option, but sometimes that just isn't possible. And quite frankly, you don't HAVE to do anything, athough it often helps if you do. So my question for you is what are you doing on your morning workouts? I have no issues doing an hour long cross training session, a weight work out, or up to about a 4 mile run on no breakfast. Then my post workout meal IS my breakfast.

Bottom line, if you are doing an intense workout of an hour or more, then yes try to eat something. If not, try to work through it.
  • hyoung3
    hyoung3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    1 cup of Cheerios in a little soy milk works for me.... seems like it takes no time to digest.
  • hoosiermama44
    Options
    I can't workout on an empty stomach - I end up feeling very ill and usually vomit :( Heck, if I don't have breakfast within a 1/2 hour or so of waking up I end up feeling sick! I don't get that? ANYWAY - I usually grab a banana :) That seems to do the trick and then I just have my breakfast after my workout and figure I already ate the fruit part of it.
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    usually I do a protien bar if i am pressed for time if it is a long workout otherwise I eat afterwards.