Run in the rain?

Options
For you runners out there...do you run in the rain? I want to start c25k Monday but its raining quite a bit this weekend. I did day 1 Thursday for practice and I wanted to do it again today. Made me stop and think - Midwest spring means rain! Can I do this?

Replies

• Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I used to run in any kind of weather. As long as you're dressed properly, why not?
  • Gigglesandgrins9
    Options
    I love running in the rain...did 3 miles last night, it's refreshing!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Its my favorite thing to do. Ive been running for a year and I love running in the rain, snow, thunder. Not wind! There is something that is peaceful about running in the rain.
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks! First day I ran in some strong winds so hopefully rain is nothin'!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Just got done with a 5k in pouring rain. My first time in the rain and it was awesome. Just dress appropriately!

Yay for living in the Ohio Valley during the spring. :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Ran in the wind this morning! Yep, run in the rain, can't let the weather get in the way of your plan right?
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Refreshing? hehe . . . only if its warm-ish out. I ran day before yesterday in rain and 40 degree temps. Nothing refreshing about it . . . or fun, but I felt pretty hard core and fantastic . . . well, fantastic AFTER a hot shower. Go for it . . . you'll be the better person for it!
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Just watch your footing! The only time I've run in the rain so far I found the path I was on quite slippery and had to slow down a bit.
  • Firewhirrrl
    Firewhirrrl Posts: 144
    Options
    I am a track coach, all my kids run in rain.
    The trick is to have a few layers.
    Add a waterproof soft shell outer layover and a waterproof hat.( for comfort).

We do our stretching and warmups/cool down indoors...

As fir lil' chicken me? Yeah I do it too, but I ware fleece, soft shell, and a sweet fleece/gortech hat by OUtdoor research( big brim) I hate water on my head.

I always have a shower after or soft cozy stuff to change into.

We dont melt in the rain!!
    Watch your footing and visibility
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Portland and all we did was run in the rain! At cross-country practice we usually saved our end of season run (17 miles) for a stormy day. It can water log your shoes, so be prepared to get soaked, but really refreshing when your body temperature rises and the rain cools you down. I'm not talking about tropical rain, either.

There are some great brands for all weather running: Helly Hansen and Nike. Nike has some great gear (Portland based company) and Helly has gear for cold weather.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain, but not bad winds. That is only because the trail I run on is highly forested and there are lots of dead trees that tend to fall in high winds. I'm sure I'd have my little pink ipod on and never hear the tree coming when it hit me...:laugh:
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I live in Seattle so it's kind of not optional... :) but you'll definitely get used to it and sometimes even enjoy it!
  • LMPRF97
    LMPRF97 Posts: 97
    Options
    I L:heart: VE to run in the rain. I feels awesome and cooling so you can go longer!:smile:
  • watchmelose2
    watchmelose2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k in the rain last year! It was awesome! It was my first 5k ever! I hope to do several more this year! I did two last year and loved it! I go walking and running in the rain! As long as it is warm!
  • spatticus
    Options
    Raining and 38 right now. Hopefully its warmer tomorrow!
  • spatticus
    Options
    I just had to come back and post that its snowing now! Way to go Indiana!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I love rainy runs as well. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Not gail-force downpour, but steady drizzle is great!! :bigsmile:

I was miles away from home once when it started to hail... :huh: Now that was interesting...
  • jlmevis
    jlmevis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've ran in a light drizzle before. In college, we had to run no matter the weather, so I got used to it, but sometimes running in the rain can really hurt (especially if its windy). Also, bring your cell phone along and make sure someone is home to come and get you incase it starts getting really ugly.

Just a thought
  • jlmevis
    jlmevis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You must be close to me because its snowing here too. Not sticking though! Thank goodness!
  • AndrewTheWise
    Options
    My buddy and I we're hanging out last spring and he suggested we do something crazy to boost the adrenaline. I said, "Hey, let's run in the storm!" Brilliant idea. We made sure we had no metal on us, and we ran in the hardest rain I have ever seen. We couldn't even hold our heads up because the rain was hurting our eyes so we were forced to follow the curb the whole way. It was the most fun I have ever had.