Counting the calories you burn while at work. Should I or Sh

Options
i would like to get different views on this. I use a Heart Rate Monitor to help count a lot of the calories in burn and on average night at work it says I burn from 1077 to over 1600 calories in a 8 to 8 1/2 hour work period. should I count these burned calories on this web site or just the ones I do in my work outs? I am getting ready to head to work now so please send your thoughts on this. i want all thoughts so don't hold anything back. Thanks to all that put your info. Will check on this later tonight.

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you your calorie goal with the calories you burn in a normal day already included - determined by the 'lifestyle' you chose when you set up your profile (sedentary, lightly active, etc). You should add the calories burned in your workout to the calories that MFP gives you for the day and be consuming the total.
  • nikkinikki113
    nikkinikki113 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous poster. If you took into account the type of work you do, then, no - don't count them. But, if you did not, then count on baby!!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Only the calories you burn with workouts; other daily calories are already calculated into MFP based on what you entered as your lifestyle activity level.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    **agree** the burned goal are after normal daily activity. I would make sure that your lifestyle is set accordingly (light, moderate, active). Sorry to be the bad news bear.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I would only use your workout calories.. I am a single mom to a one year old.. I know I burn alot running around on a regular basis so as said previously MFP already takes this into account based on the info you put in when you set up your account!!
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I would only use your workout calories.. I am a single mom to a one year old.. I know I burn alot running around on a regular basis so as said previously MFP already takes this into account based on the info you put in when you set up your account!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i would like to get different views on this. I use a Heart Rate Monitor to help count a lot of the calories in burn and on average night at work it says I burn from 1077 to over 1600 calories in a 8 to 8 1/2 hour work period. should I count these burned calories on this web site or just the ones I do in my work outs? I am getting ready to head to work now so please send your thoughts on this. i want all thoughts so don't hold anything back. Thanks to all that put your info. Will check on this later tonight.

No just change you activity level to light active or active, whatever fits better. Also HRM's are not accurate while not working out the calculation it uses, uses HR as one input but if you are not working out the calculation can be way off and over estimate your caloric burn. If you are looking at cals burned during non workouts you could look at getting a bodybug, they are meant to be worn 24/7.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I was just reading a post that says you shouldn't wear you HRM all the time like that. It is not designed to catch every heartbeat when you are not working out. There was another monitor he said that you would need to do that.

The other thing is those calories should be included in your daily allotment based on the lifestyle option you chose at the beginning.

Best wishes.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have my lifestyle set to sedintary and I usually don't add my work even though I do janitorial work four to five days a week.

I find that I have been loosing a lot of weight but I might hit a hard plateu. I haven't yet but then I have only been on the scale about every two weeks so I might platue a bit in that time but I have been loosing about 4 to 5 lbs a week. I think that I have been keeping from hitting a major roadblocks because I tend to splurge one night a week but not by much. And if the urge hits me to really binge I just go with it as long as my stomach is comfortably empty enough to get a decent sleep.
    Keeps my metabulism from thinking that I am starving to death. Just make sure that I don't go more than two days on a binge in a two week period. And when I say binge I am not talking 10 000 cals. Just closer to the way I used to eat but keeping in mind my stomach is smaller now and I don't want it stretching out to it's full capacity.

Just my take on things.