highest fiber fruits & veggies

Options
Which fruits and vegetables have the highest fiber content?

Replies

• loganaw
    loganaw Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    apples, spinach, brussel sprouts, carrots!
  • meganewhite
    Options
    I googled it and got these lists from About.com:

Highest Fiber Vegetables
    Avocado
    Beans
    Broccoli*
    Brussels sprouts*
    Cabbage*
    Carrot
    Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans
    Eggplant
    Greens -- collards, kale, turnip greens*
    Lima beans
    Mushrooms
    Potato with skin
    Pumpkin, canned
    Peas -- black-eyed peas, green peas
    Peppers
    Rhubarb
    Spinach*
    Sweet Potatoes

* These high-fiber vegetables are also goitrogenic, meaning that they promote thyroid enlargement and can potentially cause or aggravate hypothyroidism. Typically, the risk is highest when these foods are consumed raw, regularly, and in substantial quantity. Cooking eliminates most goitrogenic properties.

Highest Fiber Fruits
    Apples
    Avocado
    Bananas
    Berries -- Blueberies, Blackberries, Raspberries, etc.
    Dried Fruits -- Figs, Raisins, Apricots, Dates, etc.
    Guava
    Kiwi
    Orange
    Pears
    Prunes
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    avocados are a great choice... and they have so many essential fats and vitamins that the body needs!!!
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Which fruits and vegetables have the highest fiber content?

rasberries, blackberries( 2 of the highest! YUM), plums, lima beans, strawberries, broccoli, brussel sprouts,
  • gbmabley
    gbmabley Posts: 16
    Options
    If you are looking for fiber I would suggest Flax seed. You only need 1 teaspoon of it to get most of the fiber you need for the day. Google it to see all the benefits. You can mix it in with your breakfast or a fruit smoothie if you don't want it straight up. It is the best fiber out there for the low calories.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for fiber I would suggest Flax seed. You only need 1 teaspoon of it to get most of the fiber you need for the day. Google it to see all the benefits. You can mix it in with your breakfast or a fruit smoothie if you don't want it straight up. It is the best fiber out there for the low calories.

I have flax see nearly every day..... it has just 4 grams of fiber per 2 Tablespoons.... thats a far cry from the amount of fiber you need in a day.