Celiacs Disease

Options
Hi. I am new to this kind of weight loss idea. I was recently (finally!) diagnosed with Celiacs disease (severe gluten intolerance). I had not know for many years what was wrong with me. No weight loss program has ever worked. I have tried them all! I got very messed up on all of them.

I have been losing weight on this closely monitored way of eating that I have to do, but I have been having trouble determining a balance in my diet. I can already see that using this site will help me track that part of it. The site's database actually lists some of the gluten free products that I have to eat. Amazing!

I am impressed with the supportive community that I see here. I'm feeling very positive about this.

Replies

• jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a Celiac too - welcome to the dark side!

Feel free to ask me anything you want to know. Beware though - GF foods are generally much higher in calories than their gluten counterparts.

I'm here anytime you need!
  • ladysvs
    Options
    Me too! Feel free to add me!
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I also have gluten intolerance. Not to the point to be diagnosed as celiac, though. I realized almost right away, this time around; that if I avoid gluten products I lose weight much more easily with a lot less effort. I'm also lactose intolerant, so I also do my best to avoid dairy. It has really been to my benefit. This site is great and the support and encouragement are so awesome. Blessings to you as you work towards your goals. Vickie
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I feel for you all with celiacs. My mother died of it, so please get it under control :) It runs in the family too, so be aware of your siblings... My sister has it, I don't but I pretty much can't eat grains very well. Much love to you all.
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Me too. In addition to a food allergy to meats trees soy fish. Friend me
  • lusciousli
    lusciousli Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    wow i feel for all you guys!! I have an wheat intolerance and use gluten free foods to accommodate it.. have just become a member and would love to chat with u guys about foods recipes n tricks :) not really sure how to add people yet but add me!!
  • CGade
    CGade Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also am sensitive to gluten and try to stay away from anything with it. I used to shop at whole foods, but it got too expensive so I really just don't eat any breads or cookies, etc. I find gluten free edamame crackers and rice pasta at trader joe's. I've noticed that my stomach is smaller from less bloating. Even if it's not weight loss, it feels better! I find I have to remember to make a point to eat carbs of some sort on days that I can't eat what my family is eating. I usually just eat the meat and veggies. I like the gluten free almond crunch bars by Nature valley. Feels like a treat :) I make phad thai, rice pasta with marinara, and lots of mexican food. I always have potatoes in the house for mashed or baked. I have a fantastic recipe for gluten free brownies that are a great treat! I've tried lots of recipes from a HUGE cookbook I got last year, but I'm learning to just modify or do without and save money not having to use all sorts of speciaty products. the only things I really miss from Whole Foods are this bread that was really hearty with lots of seeds in the frozen section for like 8$ and ginger cookies also in the fozen section that were about the same price! I would love to exchange ideas and recipes if anyone is interested so feel free to add me as a friend :happy:
  • ReddZee
    Options
    This is so great! I no longer feel like such an outcast--I'm in good company! Thank you all so much.

Now.......how do I "friend" people? Sorry to be so dumb about this.
  • ReddZee
    Options
    I have noticed that GF foods seem so much bulkier and heavier than regular foods of the same kind. It's one of the reasons I need to track my eating using this site. I need to be more conscious of what's going in.
  • hotmama39
    Options
    I WAS DIAGNOIS WITH CELIAC IN AUG OF 2010 IT BEEN 6 MONTHS NOW I HAVE LOST ABOUT 36 POUNDS BUT I NEED START EXCERISE. I AM GLAD THAT I FOUND THIS SITE MAY BE I KEEP AND LEARN MORE ABOUT CARBS AND TRACKING WON,T I AM PUTTING IN MY BODY.
  • hotmama39
    Options
    GF FOODS ARE SO HIGH IN CARBS I THINKS SO.
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I love candy and I have the best Jelli beans they are Gimbals peanut free dairy free gelatin free gluten free egg free