HOW DO YOU STICK W/YOUR CARDIO WORKOUT

Options
im trying to do an hr of cardio and eventually go longer, but am feeling sluggish by 45min. but i still push through it..how do you guys get through yours?
ive been thinking of trying those energy drinks like redline but i dont want to have the energy during the workout then by mid-day crash....i like the natural energy that i get from working out.

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If I start to feel sluggish or like I can't make it any more I either skip the rest and cool down or I march/walk in place for a minute until I get my energy back up! I don't force my body to continue if it doesn't want to. :bigsmile: Gotta keep it happy!
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    sounds like maybe u need to start a little slower maybe like 30 min and build up add like 2 or 3 min a day till u build up maybe I mix mine up to so I do not get bored it seems to help pass the time if I am enjoying what I am doing
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Are you eating before? Drinking water during? How long have you been doing the cardio? If you just started, your body will build up to it. If you're not fueling your body before, it has nothing to burn.
  • alexis92
    alexis92 Posts: 64
    Options
    I do 45 min of cardio 5-6 times per week, and that's enough for me. perhaps try to up the intensity of your workout but for a shorter period of time. also make sure to drink plenty of water before and after you workout and smaller amounts DURING. varying your workout routine also helps make it exciting- you don't necessarily have to stick to the same routine every week or even everyday!
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If I start to feel sluggish or like I can't make it any more I either skip the rest and cool down or I march/walk in place for a minute until I get my energy back up! I don't force my body to continue if it doesn't want to. :bigsmile: Gotta keep it happy!

Agreed!

Are you used to doing cardio? Or are you just starting? It might just be too much too soon. I've been keeping up with my couch to 5K program, and sometimes it's too much for my body to start the next week...so I keep at the same week for a few extra days until I feel I can handle it.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    without going the "energy drink" route, are you eating enough good foor beforehand. For example, I did a workout about 1 1/2 hours after lunch and felt great. I did the same workout the next day, but did it before lunch (which was about 4 hours after breakfast) and struggled through it. So can you grab a healthy snack 1 hr to 30 mins before? LIke raw almonds or natural peanut butter on 1 slice of whole grain bread or yogurt with fruit?
  • kestdawg
    kestdawg Posts: 1
    Options
    I alternate between running and walking sometimes that helps. Also try to keep myself super occupied by watching TV or playing online poker on my laptop. By the time I look at the clock im almost done.. MIND OVER MATTER!
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    your body will always plateau at some point... Once you do an hour comfortable, and increase to 75 mins, you'll probably run into the same problem. I agree with the posts about maybe having a non energy drink snack before your workout, something high in healthy carbs like a small portion of brown rice or some fruit
  • tcatdog63
    tcatdog63 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had to build up to 1 hour and I started with 20 minutes and added 5 miutes at a time. Currently I am at 70 minutes. I agree with the other post about fueling up for your work out. I always eat 1 hour before my work out and drink water before, during and after. I like to listen to music and look at magazines and watch tv too!!! I had to change my mind set before I really started enjoying it!!! Now I look forward to exercise!!!! Don't make it like work, make it fun!!!
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was reading in a magazine that it's better and more beneficial , meaning you will burn more calories overall, to do 30 minutes of interval training rather than wasting your time doing a normal 60 minute workout without intervals. Don't bite my head of, it's just what I read, I'm just saying....LOL although it makes sense to me because when I do 30 minutes of interval training, I am beat at the end AND have burned just as many calories as if I were doing 45-60 minutes of normal continuous steady paced cardio. Thats adding resistence too. Try it out, what have you got to lose. Again, I read it in a few different magazines.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I do about 90 minutes of cardio on good days, which are more lately.

Things that I have done to help me is find really good upbeat music and make a playlist on my ipod-- I change up the playlist every couple of weeks and alternate between them. I try to zone out and just focus on my goals.

I drink a lot of water during my workouts and I agree with what people have said about eating-- I've noticed that if I didn't get a chance to eat before my workout that it is usually harder to work out.

I personally like when people on are on the machines next to me-- I use their speed as motivation to pick up my speed =)

Good luck!
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do half in the morning and half in the evening. Burns the same amount of calories and keeps the metabolism up and running.