Help!!

Options
Today I am cleaning out my closet. I am throwing away all the clothes that no longer fit me. (which is about 97% of my closet) The stuff literally falls off when I put it on and I still continue to try and sleep in old sweats and and pj pants- I do not know why I sift through them everyday. Or let them collect at the bottom of my closet.. I need to get rid of all that baggage!!
Right now, I literally wear the same 2 pairs of jeans and a few different shirt combos, lol- (I hate to keep buying things and then not being able to wear them in a month, I feel like it is a waste of money) Now that I am getting close to my goal, I really need to start shopping. I keep putting it off though- Maybe by emptying the closet I will get over my new shopping anxiety? I am having a really hard time feeling comfortable in stores that I was never able to step foot in before- I still feel like I won't fit into the clothes and it makes me feel embarrassed. I have no idea what I feel comfortable in yet, what I should or shouldn't be wearing, etc.. Before, I would just run into Old Navy and buy the cutest top or sweater that fit- I have many more options now and I am freaking out- Is that weird?

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the staff of the stores near you are as helpful as the ones around here but if someone went in and told them "I lost 63 pounds" they would be more than happy to guide you through their store and recommend some flattering things for you to wear. You never know till you get out there!
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    HOw exciting!! Great job on your weightloss! I would embrace the new you, maybe take a freind shopping with you for moral support and advice. Make a girls day out of it and have fun! You sooooo deserve it!
  • trimformecmb
    trimformecmb Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!
    YOU ROCK!!!
    Maybe clothes aren't your thing, but how about celebrating your huge success by having a 'ME" day ata local salon for a massage, and pedicure and having your hair done? That might put you in the mmod to buy some of those much needed clothes....
    Consignemt and resalse cltohing stores are great for those in between times when you jsut need a few things to get by until you are at your final size.....
    Take a trusted friend with you who will give you honest feedback whne you finally decide to go for that major shoppingexcursion.....
    GOOD LUCK!!! nd again.... WAY TO GO
  • noturninback
    noturninback Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you!! That is soooo exciting!! Have a BLAST shopping!! You deserve it!! Walk in to those stores with confidence and pride in all the hard work you've done!! Go For It!!
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! I'll give you a little bit of advice: Stay away from the Jr and teenager fashion stores. All of their clothes are made for shapeless little girls. Stick to the misses. Try a adult woman's store like Christopher and Banks, JC Penneys, Macy's, Gap, or Tablots. Target , Ross and Walmart are good for the basics but you can't get help from the staff.

Im close in age to you and i work at Christopher and Bank part time. Its targeted for middle age woman but I love the way our jeans fit. Our shirts are shaped but not skimpy.

I hate clothes shopping and have a hard time fitting my body shape. Im a jeans and tee kind of gal. Start off shopping for one type of garment at a time. Don't let the "I need every thing" overwhelm you. Try to make it a fun day with a friend. Don't get discouraged if you don't find any thing. Part of shopping with a new body shape is also finding out what you don't like.

Good luck. Have fun.
  • alexus052799
    Options
    Mel, I totally agree with you. I feel that my age is the issue too, like that mid-life age where I'm not cute to wear teen-like clothes but don't want to wear Older lady clothes. I would try going to the outlets like Eddie Bauer and them, they tend to be very friendly and helpful. I always walk out with shoes! Congratulations again and good luck!
  • MelanieP_TX
    MelanieP_TX Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! I'll give you a little bit of advice: Stay away from the Jr and teenager fashion stores. All of their clothes are made for shapeless little girls. Stick to the misses. Try a adult woman's store like Christopher and Banks, JC Penneys, Macy's, Gap, or Tablots. Target , Ross and Walmart are good for the basics but you can't get help from the staff.

Im close in age to you and i work at Christopher and Bank part time. Its targeted for middle age woman but I love the way our jeans fit. Our shirts are shaped but not skimpy.

I hate clothes shopping and have a hard time fitting my body shape. Im a jeans and tee kind of gal. Start off shopping for one type of garment at a time. Don't let the "I need every thing" overwhelm you. Try to make it a fun day with a friend. Don't get discouraged if you don't find any thing. Part of shopping with a new body shape is also finding out what you don't like.

Good luck. Have fun.

Thanks for the advise! I know!! I just don't know where I fit in right now, I know I am still young but I will be 35 in a few days, so it i kind of weird!!! I think Gap and those types of stores are definitely an awesome starting point. I loved those places when I was in my much larger sizes so I guess I'd feel the same in the smaller sizes- But right now I think I am struggling the most with self esteem/ body image because I'm still so flabby ~SIGH~ I just have to learn how not to want it all RIGHT NOW I guess.. I know that as long as I keep working out the tighter muscles will come eventually. :bigsmile:

and Thanks Cath and everyone else who commented with encouragement!! You're all so sweet! BTW I just filled an entire contractor's bag with the old clothes!