100% of weight loss from muscle

Options
I had my fitness check-in at the gym today, and found out that I had lost 5 pounds in the past month. At first I was really happy! I had lost 8 pounds the month before (lost 14 lbs fat and gained 6 lbs muscle), and lost 5 pounds this month. But then my trainer told me that it was all muscle loss. What?? I looked at the printout for last month and this month, and sure enough, my fat mass had remained exactly the same, even down to the ounce. So all my weight loss was from muscle-- and my body fat percentage was now a bit higher.

I then told my trainer that I am good at tracking calories, and normally am under my caloric limit by ~300 calories (after adding in exercise calories). But I admitted that I haven't been strength training in the past 3 weeks due to work trips but also because I love the aerobic-oriented gym classes. (Normally, I meet with my trainer for 30 min/week and should repeat that routine later in the week -- but I haven't been doing this recently, instead doing aerobic workouts 6-7 times/week.) He concluded that the reason I lost muscle was I wasn't eating enough (which will end up burning muscle) and I wasn't doing strength training. He advised to not go over 200 calories below my caloric limit. Then for our session today, he focused purely on strength training -- when normally he'd have me do a combo of aerobic and strength training stuff.

I know there are different lines of thought here about whether we should eat back our exercise calories, or whether starvation mode exists, and it's true that everyone's BMR, body dynamics, and weight loss goals are different. And, each person is entitled to their opinions and can follow the advice and suggestions of whomever they choose. For myself, however, I trust what my trainer says, and now believe that eating much below my caloric limit will result in muscle loss. I'm also going to add 1-2 strength training workouts a week, and see how this new regimen of eating and exercising impacts next month's fitness check-in test.

If I were to focus purely on the scale numbers, I should be really happy. And I think for most of us, we are elated when we see progress on the scale, and down on ourselves and discouraged when we gain weight. But ultimately, I cannot feel happy about my weight loss, because I sacrificed something more important to attain it. As for my MFP community, of course I want to see you happy with your progress and seeing the scale number going down, but please don't lose sight of the more important health outcomes such as strength, well-being, energy level, and body fat percentage. Also, be careful about making drastic changes to your caloric intake and be thoughtful when setting your weight loss and exercise goals.

Here's to a healthier and stronger us! :)

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    This is a good reminder that we should all do some sort of activity and vary it to include strength training from the very beginning! Good luck you this month!
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thank you soo much for posting this... really puts everything into perspective!
  • chellis76
    chellis76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That was great information!! Thank you!!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's not really a bad thing, it's just that the body adapts to the demands you place on it. If you are training to run a marathon, you'll end up with a lean, slender body that's efficient for running long distance. Large muscles would consume more oxygen than you could supply. Conversely, If you're bodybuilding, you'll end up with a muscular body that's efficient for exerting great force, but will tire more quickly with aerobic demands. Since some muscle is important to you, it sounds like your trainer if putting more focus on strength training to place demands on your body that will encourage muscle development.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing! I'm tagging because I want to hear what your totals are next month, so please post again!!

I recently added strength training to my workouts and I dropped 3.5% body fat in 6 weeks! Makes me a believer that it's very important do
  • TiffanyRMiller
    TiffanyRMiller Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Very interesting information. I am struggling with not losing at all, even though I am doing aerobic activity 6 days a week and staying within my calorie range everyday. It was suggested to me that because I am not eating all of my exercise calories back (which seems like a catch 22 to me) that I am actually starving my body and it's holding onto the fat rather than releasing it. I am going to change some things up this week and see what happens. Thanks for your post!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting. Good luck with your training. That muscle will be back and burning up fat in no time!
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, i'm definitely doing more strength training now.
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    How are they measuring your fat percentage? Are they using calipers or a Bioelectrical impedance analysis? The Bioelectrical impedance analysis will measure total body water which is used to calculate body fat. I know that times I have had this done while PMSing, it was completely off...the extra fluid I was retaining was being calculated as fat. If this is a possibility... see if they would be willing to recheck you in two weeks. It may turn out very different.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    How are they measuring your fat percentage? Are they using calipers or a Bioelectrical impedance analysis? The Bioelectrical impedance analysis will measure total body water which is used to calculate body fat. I know that times I have had this done while PMSing, it was completely off...the extra fluid I was retaining was being calculated as fat. If this is a possibility... see if they would be willing to recheck you in two weeks. It may turn out very different.

they use both calipers (7 different test sites) and bioelectrical analysis. i just totaled the number of mm, and this time, it is 9 mm more than last month. my clothes are definitely fitting better, but that's due to less muscle taking up less space... :(

good idea about checking in again in 2 wks!
  • brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    Well I have a weight machine out in the garage, and as soon as it warms up I'm hittin it. Thanks for sharing, I probably should eat more.
  • redruthie
    redruthie Posts: 77
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. It's very useful information and I will for sure be doing more strength training. Good luck to you! Keep us all posted :)
  • seventysix06
    seventysix06 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    changing muscle composition is key...when i lost weight years ago w/o strength training, i was smaller but my clothes fit exactly the same (e.g., not the way i wanted). true, it was a smaller size, but the fit issues were the same. :)
  • TiffanyRMiller
    TiffanyRMiller Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    changing muscle composition is key...when i lost weight years ago w/o strength training, i was smaller but my clothes fit exactly the same (e.g., not the way i wanted). true, it was a smaller size, but the fit issues were the same. :)

Thanks for sharing! This thread has inspired me to dust off the crossbow in the basement and learn how to use it!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you, good luck!
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options

they use both calipers (7 different test sites) and bioelectrical analysis. i just totaled the number of mm, and this time, it is 9 mm more than last month. my clothes are definitely fitting better, but that's due to less muscle taking up less space... :(

good idea about checking in again in 2 wks!

Well, they are very thorough! I'm so glad you've found such a good trainer...sounds like they're going to whip you into shape! Although if I were you, I'd still be proud of all the changes you've made. Keep us updated on the progress!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Here is a perfect example of something a few of us on the F&E board keep going on and on about....

Women's obsession with excessive cardio will rid you of your lean mass and not have massive impact on your fat.

- eat more lean protein
    - start lifting... not Barbie dumbells but hard!!!
    - unless you're endurance training (for instance long distance runners), then there is no point dragging out cardio for more than 45-60 minutes... less can be more
    - the low heart rate "fat burning zone" is a myth

and for the last time... no YOU WILL NOT BULK.

http://www.stumptuous.com/lies-in-the-gym

When I was Ironman training I would have 15 hour training weeks of cardio and GAINED body fat!!! I started lifting again in January and dropped 4" off my waist. And if you don't want to believe me read Rachel Cosgrove's account of cardio v weights when she was IM training.

http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It's not really a bad thing, it's just that the body adapts to the demands you place on it. If you are training to run a marathon, you'll end up with a lean, slender body that's efficient for running long distance. Large muscles would consume more oxygen than you could supply. Conversely, If you're bodybuilding, you'll end up with a muscular body that's efficient for exerting great force, but will tire more quickly with aerobic demands. Since some muscle is important to you, it sounds like your trainer if putting more focus on strength training to place demands on your body that will encourage muscle development.

That's actually not quite true. Many people gain wait during marathon training, especially when the vast majority of their training is done at low heart rate without any inclusion of hill reps, fartlek, speed runs etc (as many newbies do).

The reason the fast runners at the front of the pack are much leaner is because they run at a totally different pace, overall burn far more calories, will do 70 mile training weeks, have a massively high VO2 Max, will do heaps of speed work and fartlek. And most pro runners will also lift in the off season!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    What is your protein target set at? How close were you to it last month? I personally aim for 1g/lb BW but I am very active. Do you resistance training and keep the protein up and you should minimise muscle loss when losing weight.q
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    I had a similar event happen with my weight loss, only I lost a bit more muscle - didn't catch it in time. I competed in two 9 week weight loss challenges at the beginning of this weight loss. My first challenge I lost 30 lbs, of which all was fat and I even gained one pound of lean body mass. I was mainly running with little strength training involved. Because I had a high BF% to start out with (31%) my body easily burned the fat.

During the second challenge I did the same thing figuring I knew what worked. Again, I lost a lot of weight - about 30 lbs again, but when I got checked at the end they said I had lost 28 lbs of muscle and only 2 lbs of fat - ughh! At first I thought it was wrong, but tests since then have been consistent. This just goes to show that as you get closer to your goal, your body will start to burn your lean mass if you don't do things right. I ended up with a higher BF% than when I started the challenge :[.

Since then I took a break and built my lean mass back up and am now trying better to do the weight loss right.