struggling to eat exercise calories with clean foods

Options
Hi all,

MFP set me a 1400kcal or so limit in order to lose 1lb/ week. The thing is because I don't have that much to lose I have upped my exercise in order to see body toning/ definition aswell as weight loss as I don't just want to be 'thin' I want to be fit and toned. The problem is that I can happily eat my 1400kcal/ day in clean foods but today for example I have earned 700kcal through exercise. There is no way I want to eat over 2000kcal! I am finding the more I exercise the less appetite I have so sometimes its a struggle to eat the 1400. The result is my net is averaging at about 900-1000/ day. I do feel good on this and have lots of energy but on a day like today I think that my net is going to be too low. I cant afford and don't believe in eating expensive protein bars but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks x x

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Eat some high fat foods like cheese, yogurt, coconut, avocado, and it will help you get your calories in. If you're not hungry for the cals, however, don't eat them. Your body will make up the difference when it needs to. Personally, I want to gnaw my arm off after a workout!
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    any nut butters (almond, peanut, etc), avocados, greek yogurt, using the following oils to cook (coconut oil, avocado oil)- they are higher in healthier fats so you dont need a lot but at least it will give you some extra calories and fuel for your body and still be very clean!
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    I second the cheese, yogurt, avocado, nuts, and healthy oils--those are all great ideas! On the rare nights when I need a small, high-cal snack (I'm usually right on target and don't need this!), I like to make up my own trail mix from nuts, dried fruit, and a smidgen of dark chocolate. It doesn't fill me up too much, it's clean, and it's waaaay better than a processed protein bar/shake/etc. Real food is the way to go!! :happy:
  • elledoll
    elledoll Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem.I am starting to eat more nuts(unsalted),regular yogurt,and milk.
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I too tend to nibble on nuts and cheese if I need extra calories - not that it happens that often! :-)
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Add some whole grains too -= they are pretty high cal. Even quinoa and wild rice have more calories than veggies but you can make great quinoa or rice pilaf with lots of veggies and olive oil to deliver a healthy, nutrient packed option with over 200 calories.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are another high cal but healthy food. You can eat a potato with sauteed vegetables and a low fat cheese, greek yogurt or cottage cheese on top
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    nooooo, not grains *squeals like salt being poured on a snail*

Sorry, but grains = processed/unclean food in my head

It's just asking for an unnecessary insulin spike
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    Options
    wow thanks for the great suggestions, I think nuts and seeds may be the way to go for me as they are high cal without feeling like a huge amount. I will defo try some of the other suggestions aswell if I have a low day.

x x x x x