Worst Comment Ever

Options
So...I got the worst comment one could ever say to a woman this week. I was checking out at the store and had my two year old on my hip. The cashier said, "Wow, your mommy is strong she is holding two babies." Um, thanks a lot because I am not pregnant!! I just stared at her and tried not to cry. I saved the tears for the parking lot. Ugh, I have felt so bad about myself. I can't even sleep I keep waking up thinking about it! Apparently I look very pregnant because noone says that unless they are really sure the person is pregnant! So depressing.

Replies

• fabdivac
    fabdivac Posts: 11
    Options
    I had someone ask me this same thing a while ago. It's not the best of feelings.. It doesn't change who you are, still a beautiful person. Let's use that as our motivation...
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Some people just open their mouths and stick their feet right in!

Don't let this person get you down!

Stick with MFP and together we are all working on making sure no one says anything like that to us again!

Be strong and their are rude people everywhere, ignore them! They aren't worth our time or energy!
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Some people are just soo rude. Seriously, I would just continue working hard and stop listening to what other people say. I've been told I looked pregnant too and I am definitely not. I know it makes you feel worse about yourself, but you can't let that discourage you. You have to keep working hard and be happy with your body because you're your own critic.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    omfg i hate when people say **** like that

it's not okay
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Some people are just ignorant. Don't pat attention to what they said. Who knows, that person could have said it to hurt your feelings. Many people are just that way - don't take it to heart!

Definately use it for motivation, not as an excuse to feel bad for yourself and not work out or eat more junk! (That's what I've done in the past due to harsh comments.. not saying that's what you'll do (but just in case you're like me..))

Just know 2 things: some people are stupid (don't pay attention to them or let their comments hurt your feelings) and you can acheive your goals if you really set your mind to it. :smile:
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Counter that with positivity.

1. You have a great community to share this with, who will help you deal.
    2. The person making the comment was ignorant, and careless, but chances are, not mean spirited. For me, when its intentional, it hurts more.
    3. You can use this to move forward with greater dedication.

4. No one can make you feel inferior without your permission. Don't let anyones comments derail you or make you feel badly. You are in control of how you process and deal. You can accomplish great and fabulous things.

Chin up. :)
  • mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    Options
    That comment seems a little too b!tchy for her to actually think you are preggo. I think she was just being mean, which obviously means she has her own issues. Try not to take it to heart even tho I know it hurt your feelings.
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I wish people wouldn't speak without thinking. I'm so sorry you're hurt, but try to focus on the positive changes you're making...not a clerk's thoughtless remark. It helps me to focus on what I can change...and, to imagine hurtful comments and thoughts as balloons that I just let fly away. Hang in there!
  • MizSpock
    MizSpock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can't let what others say get you down - you're working hard and taking steps to change your life. In the end, YOU are the only one who's opinion matters.

That said, I know it's hard to not hear all the messages that are constantly coming our way. Here are a couple of sayings I often repeat to myself when the negativity starts to get to me:

"It doesn't matter what they call you - it only matters what you answer to."

and

"Let people say what they want about you - those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    UGH...some people are just inconsiderate asshats who dont even know they are like that...you came here, put it out there in the open, and now put it behind you and move on...use that as a motivator to keep working hard. DONT GIVE UP!!! youre doing great!!
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    I know shock stops you in your tracks. Wish I could think of something quickly when someone slings you a comment/insult as in "gee I thought you were older". Wish you could have piped up," why no I am just fat but thank you for pointing that out! You have made "my day. You have a nice day now." Argh, thoughtless people.
  • naebear99
    naebear99 Posts: 73
    Options
    I believe I would have started patting my shoulders, back, and hips, and saying, "Oh, My God....I've picked up ANOTHER one?! Where is it?" Once she realized her gaffe, I'd let her off the hook though. We ALL stick our feet in our mouths from time to time. I'm a fan of calling attention to it in a humorous way, then letting it go. That way, hopefully, they think twice the next time.

When people used to say "Oh, and you're expecting again! How nice? When is it due?" (happened more than once just after my daughter was born), I'd look at my watch, look up as if doing some mental math, and then say, "About.....15 months". Then I'd laugh off their mistake to put them at ease (however much it stung at the time), and leave to outward appearances cheerful. I think it takes the edge off their embarrassment, and if they were trying to embarrass me, they got no satisfaction out of the experience.
  • Debinapril
    Debinapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Don't let insensitive comments affect you. Use them to make you more determined. Laugh it off. I remember being asked when the baby was due a month after she had been born!:laugh: Oops!
  • Alicia0525
    Options
    Thanks y'all! All the replies help and positive talk! I have to admit I binged ate after but now I am more committed than ever. I appreciate everyone's help!
  • LazyMogg
    LazyMogg Posts: 162
    Options
    What a thoughtless thing to say and it's difficult to respond quickly when you're not expecting it. However, don't let it get you down - it's not your fault that she doesn't engage brain before opening her mouth, it's hers.

I remember once being in my local store and this old man came up to me and put his arm around my waist and said (out loud): "Don't let anyone ever tell you you're fat, you're just curvy." Cheeky old goat! I just stood there, dumbfounded! Like most people I just couldn't think of a fast reply.

People like that aren't worth fussing about but don't let them deter you (or me). :wink:
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Next time use this as your reply:
    "It's better to be believed to be a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    Someone said something similar to me right before i decided to join MFP. It was sort of one of the straws that broke the camels back. I was out walking my dogs (a Siberian Husky and a Black Lab) and I had my toddler in the stroller. The neighbor stopped me to say how impressed he was that I was pregnant, walking two dogs, and pushing a stroller....
    Yeah...
    I'm not pregnant.
    I just smiled and thanked him.
    Guys just don't get it.

And, hence...MFP.

I'm sorry it had to happen to you, but just think how great you'll feel after you KNOW that will never happen again!!!
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    Well, that's pretty heartless and cold of her to say that. You just don't blurt out comments like that! I would have told her i'm not pregnant, then see the look on her face of remorse and feeling bad about what she said. But, Don't let it get to you..like others said here, use it as motivation! Good luck!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I have seen people I thought was pregnant and turned out they weren't. I wasn't thinking mean thoughts, I just thought they were pregnant because they looked pregnant.

Don't take it as a personal attack. She just made a mistake.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    I ran into one of my mother's friends after I had not seen her in quite some time. She told me I looked married. Well now everybody knows that looking "married" is the equivalent of saying someone is FAT. That was 10 years ago, and it sent me on a very bad road to losing weight the WRONG way. I deprived myself of everything, practically starved myself to death. All because of one comment.