False Celebrity Weights

Options
I know I shouldn't bother reading them but does anyone else get disheartened when they see celebrity weight loss articles in magazines where their weights seem really low for what they look like? Is it just me or do you think they're not entirely true? It always seems to me they are 1/2 stone to a stone out!

I have lost 22 lbs and am 13lbs off target and am feeling pretty good about myself at the moment. Then I see a celeb in a magazine who is the same height as me stating that they felt fat and disgusting before they lost their weight (when they were my weight now) but 2 1/2 stone later they are much happier. It makes me wonder if others see me differently as I don't feel I look now like they looked at the start of their diets and am surprised we're the same weight.

These articles are supposed to be motivational but they make me feel worse as their end weight always seems really low and their start weight also seems low despite them looking bigger.

Replies

• ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have often thought that their weights are WAY off. If they weighed as much as they say then they should be skin and bones!
  • tjjotoad
    tjjotoad Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I was so discouraged when I read the story about Sherri Shephard losing 40 lbs. and going from a size 16 to a size 6, when I lost 45 lbs. and went from a 16 to a 12. How does that work?
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Totally agree. They're giving a false view of what is normal and acceptable. I think the same goes for these cosmetic surgery programmes. I saw "Embarassing Bodies" last night and the girl who was "disgusted" with her "saggy, droopy breasts" really upset me. I thought "mine are worse than that and I don't think mine are too bad!". But now I feel like I should be getting something done about them, following all the sympathetic looks the girl was receiving from the doctors!
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    You have to take height into account too. Just because they say they are 140 pounds and felt heavy well that might be true if they are 5'1".
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    AND...don't forget that 90% of the pictures you see in magazines are likely to have been airbrushed on top of it all!!!
  • kdrew11
    kdrew11 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I always check their height and some are the same height as me! I always feel like I either look better at the same weight than their start weight or that my goal weight IS their "fat / disgusting" start weight. Then I start feeling like I am dillusiional.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    ITA about those weight statistics. Seems pretty sketchy to me.

I find the "Celebrity Cellulite" pictorials much more motivating! lol Some of the tabloids find photos of all the top celebs who most people think are "perfect" and show that they really are just like the rest of us! Halle Berry has cellulite. Kate Moss has cellulite. The list goes on. It puts my own appearance in perspective when I'm focusing on my troublesome spots...
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere once that the average celebrity (no matter their weight) will only eat about 1200cal. They take some really unhealthy tracts to get skinny. I honestly believe that 90% lie about their weight.
  • kdrew11
    Options
    I read somewhere once that the average celebrity (no matter their weight) will only eat about 1200cal.

Ha! and I reckon that's just Champagne!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i have to laugh because i'd just been reading about christina auguilera's arrest and there's noo way she's 100 pounds right now

and ia with with everything in this post
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    i have to laugh because i'd just been reading about christina auguilera's arrest and there's noo way she's 100 pounds right now

I also saw that and I dont think shed 100 pounds either
  • kdrew11
    Options

That's just over 7 stone! No chance!
  • paulso14
    paulso14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I can positively confirm she is not 100lbs. I am the same height as her and have been working on my fitness since last August and am finally around the 120 range...If she is 100 lbs then I am 80! Ha Ha!

PS: Some days are better than others, but I'm sure you look great! Celebrities are airbrushed in magazines and have private chefs, fitness instructors and home gyms...this gives me peace when I look at magazines and think they're so tiny!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Xtina wears about 100# in just makeup!