New to the online community

Options
I have had my fitnesspal app on my phone since October, and that is all I have been using. I just recently realized that there was this whole online community (I can only blame it on being the most non-observant person in the world). Here's my story:

My name is Erin and I am a 30 year old married insurance adjuster. My husband and I have a beautiful 9 month old baby girl, Rosalie.

Weight has always been my problem. Growing up, I was the fat girl. I was picked on and bullied so often when I was a kid. The first real friends I secured were in middle school and then high school. While sometimes the bullying continued, I didn't care
because I had my friends.

The first real diet I remember going on was in the 6th grade. I got up early in the morning, exercised and it was working. Then it got tired. Senior year of high school, I went on another diet in anticipation of senior prom. I did real good one this one, I was actually getting compliments. I probably lost 20 or 30 pounds for that. And then college happened and it was the freshman 30. Around that time, I discovered TOPS. I had success with this again, lost about another 40 0r 50.

Then it was May 24, 2002. My father, a healthy 47 year old man passed away unexpectedly. I was daddy's girl and this broke me. I turned to food and smoking and drinking. I smoked more than anything else, as I grieved. I was with men, went back and forth to an ex who was no good for me. The weight crept back on slowly. In March of 2004, I met my now husband. We got married June of 2007 and our baby girl came June of 2010.

I was obese before (though I had lost some weight) and gained about 40 pounds during my pregnancy despite my efforts to be careful. I lost some baby weight, and then it started creeping back on after I was working.

In October, I found myself at 306 pounds and faced with the realization that I was slowing killing myself and I would not be there for my baby girl. That's when I downloaded the app on my Droid X, and now I am 24 pounds lighter. My husband and I recently got a treadmill (we were using our wii fit) and we are running and training for a couch to 5k. I am excited about this change, and I feel as if I have finally broken the demons in my life instead of the other way around.

We decided that since our daughter is going to be 1 on June 8th, our race is June 4th and there is nothing better to give her for her 1st birthday then healthy parents. This lifestyle, running and biking is my destiny. This is what I want to do and be. That is the 3rd time in my life I have said that. The first time, when I knew I loved my husband and then when I first discovered I was pregnant.

I WILL do this.

Replies

• barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    All you can do when life beats you down is get back up. I'm very glad you got back up. Keep up the good work
  • IrishEyes68
    IrishEyes68 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank-you
  • wanitalilly
    wanitalilly Posts: 108
    Options
    This is a great post! I would love to be your friend, if you'll have me!
  • IrishEyes68
    Options
    Of course! thank you
  • flab2steel
    Options
    It's not how many times you get knocked down, it's how many times you get back up!
  • Northantsman
    Options
    Hey there. Just keep going! The best thing is when you have have support and a goal and it's something you really want! It doesn't have to be hard work and a drudge.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats on the weight loss. Don't feel bad I had the app and didn't know about the site either. I love it though. I've surrounded myself with people who know what I'm going through, They push me to do better on the days I'm dragging. And I don't know what I would do without their constant updates, I'm addicted lol. I have finally found my weight loss niche! Send me an add request if you'd like! Best of luck on your journey and in life.
  • IrishEyes68
    Options
    I also don't want to go on an airplane (despite the fact that I am TERRIFIED of flying) wondering if I am going to get the seat-belt around me, or being in an amusement park, picking out the rides I can go on because it looks like I am going to fit.

We went to Florida this past January and did a couple parks. I have a herniated disc in my back from a car accident and I had to make sure I took my pain meds on schedule(I hardly ever take them) because I didn't want debilitating back pain. Also, I look at the pictures from that trip and all I see is how FAT I am. I'm tired of it. I know that if I lose weight my back pain will be more manageable.

During that trip, my grandmother, 82 passed away. I want to live that long and longer, and I realized with going the way I was going, that wasn't going to happen.