the coconut oil diet?

Options
does anyone know much about it, tried it?

i just bought a jar to put on my hair and skin and have been reading up and it seems (although high in saturated fat) to be a great weight loss tool.

although it is high in saturated fats it is a medium chain fat which means it is metablosied straight away and not stored as fat. apparently by replacing the fats/oils you use now with coconut oil or even just having a tablespoon 3 time daily help to aid weightloss and is just great for you health in general. with everything ive read its actualy the vegetable oils etc that are bad for you and animal studies have shown that the animals on a coconut oil diet are leaner than those on a polyunsaturated (i think thats what it is) diet.

my question is (if you know anything about it) if you dont use fats and oils in your diet should you still add coconut oil? i dont cook with any oils etc, the only time i have anything like that is light butter blend with vegemite.

Replies

• monkeyboy881
    Options
    bump i wanna know
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Watch "Fathead" documentary. Saturated fat may not be as bad as we've been taught. It's sort of a rebuttal to "Supersize Me."
  • ian191
    ian191 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go out of my way to put that in my food if I didn't need to, if I were you.

If a diet stresses the addition or removal of something (no carbs, no protein, no fat, lots of bananas, lots of whatever else), they are something that ought to be avoided.
  • Page83
    Page83 Posts: 23
    Options
    its not a diet as such like atkins or tony fergusen etc. reaserch has been done on the diets and health of islanders compared to westerners. islanders use coconut and its oil as a staple food and everything i have read recently has basicaly said that their health is much better than ours.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I would make sure the coconut oil is virgin coconut oil. I don't know about using it as a supplement but I think it would be fine for cooking with.

Nytimes.com had an article recently on cooking with coconut oil. I plan on trying the chocolate shell ice cream topping recipe that is posted at the end. (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/cooking-with-coconut-oil/?partner=rss&emc=rss)

Also this is an interesting read: http://civileats.com/2011/03/04/a-big-fat-debate/

As CrazySteve mentioned, check out the Fat Head documentary. It's available on Netflix instant watch and pretty entertaining. http://www.fathead-movie.com/
  • Page83
    Page83 Posts: 23
    Options
    thanks guys, will check out those links when i get some time. im using the extra virgin oil ATM, beautiful on my skin! i tried a little (about half a teaspoon) earlier about 15 mins before my workout as its supposed to give you a massive energy boost, cant say i noticed anything but it did make me feel a bit ill i guess because im not used to greasy things.
  • rlbates67
    Options
    Curious about this too. But at the moment, what I'm questioning is, if it's recommended to take 3.5 tbls per day, at 120 calories per tbls.....and I'm trying to stay within 1200 calorie ( resting day )...then that alone uses 420 calories for the day. And on exercise days that mean approx 45 minutes on the elliptical machine, just to burn that many calories, lol. If my calculations are correct, I'm just not sure I'm willing to burn more so I can allow for this.....or eat less to allow for it. :/ . Wondering if anyone else shares my thoughts, as slack as they may be. :)