Talking to yourself...

Options
So today i had a really rough day staying motivated through my workout. My gps on my phone that tracks my miles was acting up (thankfully I also use a pedometer in addition to my cell app) and I just felt really really tired and did not want to do anything, but I did it, by talking to myself. I litterally was telling myself that I could do it. Step out of the comfort zone and just do it. I ended up running more than walking during my hr outside and I stopped less during my dvd session.

Does anyone else talk to themselves? Or am I just crazy? lol

Replies

• BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    OMG yes! I do that all the time!! Some days are just harder then others and you have to tell yourself to keep going and push yourself! And every time that I finish the workout, I am SO proud of myself that I didn't stop like I wanted to!

So, you are NOT crazy in my opinion anyway! Good job!
  • 1111renee
    1111renee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    we HAVE to do that..........it is our way of stayong on track.....keep it up :)
  • surv8r
    surv8r Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's OK to talk to yourself...but...if you ask yourself to repeat what you said because you weren't listening, then you may need help... lol
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    of course one would be crazy not to talk to themselves ;)
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i am the local crazy lady that sings out loud while she's running because i forget i'm the only one that can hear my music....lol

my music keeps me motivated..
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I was singing to the music during my run today to distract myself from how far I had to go..... still working towards running the entire mile. I had a hard time doing that even when I was in track in middle school and high school.
  • takingbackalison
    Options
    Yesss. I do intervals when I'm running (2 minutes running, 2 minutes walking... I'm trying to build it up so I can run longer) But when I'm running and I wanna stop I just tell myself "It's only 2 minutes of your WHOLE life, You'll get through it"
    I do that a lot in other areas of my life too =)
  • edryer123
    Options
    now I don't feel so nuts! lol
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    I talk to myself all the time - and ask myself questions that I answer out loud! I like it best when I'm out walking my two dogs because if I'm caught out by somebody I can pretend I was actually talking to my girls!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I talk to myself quite a lot; slightly worrying when I respond though !

But it is a good way to motivate oneself to put into words what you feel, and it's always amusing when people nearby hear you as well :-)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Talking to yourself is perfectly normal. It's only if you start arguing with yourself that you should worry. :laugh:
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    All last week has been extremely difficult for me to get motivated to exercise, but I made myself do it and the talking yourself into it does seem to work! I also do that when I want to quit after 10 minutes on the elliptical. Last night I told myself I was only going to do 20 minutes because I was so tired but ended up talking myself into doing 40 minutes! That was a happy moment! I always talk to myself because no one else will ever listen...lol.

Theres nothing wrong with talking to yourself right?! LOL Even if its out loud sometimes! :)
  • ShonzG
    ShonzG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It's technically called 'self-talk' - I studied a bit of psychology a few years ago. The big thing I got out of it was that if your self-talk is positive (like I *CAN* do this, I *AM* worth it etc), it can be one of the best motivators in the world! If your self-talk is negative (I'm no good, I can't do this etc), it can lead to some very negative outcomes.

Make sure your self-talk is positive, and the only thing you are doing is making things easier for you and motivating yourself! I do it all the time now, and it's one of the most powerful things I do - Go for it I say!!
  • edryer123
    Options
    This week has been tough for me all around, i am fighting some kind of sore throat (constant tickle but not coughing) and just plain being tired until I do make it through the workout and then i am so motivated that I did it, I am pumped. The dreary rainy weather is certainly not helping, but it is slowly getting warmer out.
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way: as long as you're being the voice of reason, it's ok!