using a heartrate monitor

Options
Ok, to start off, let me say the last time I wore a pedometer for a day like today, I walked 24 miles in two days.

I put my heartrate monitor on when I went to my dog event today, it's amateur racing, no money, just toys, bragging rights, and a lot of fun. . .according to it, in 4 hrs, I burned 2400 calories???

Should I do anything to that amt? I have no idea what my 'maintenance calories' are, I know th ere's no way I'm going to be able to eat that, so not going to bother to even try. . so just wondering for my own purposes!

Replies

• tmyers541
    tmyers541 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Which heart rate monitor is it?
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    To put things in perspective, the average person burns about 100 calories per mile running. Even if you walked nonstop for the four hours, you would only cover about 16 miles (1600 calories). So your HRM is probably significantly over-estimating your calorie burn. Some moniotrs have calibrations where you set your age, weight, etc to more accurately calculate your calorie burn.
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you are at a beginning fitness level and you 'feel' the effort, you probably are burning more calories that someone with a higher fitness level. You know whether or not this is easy for you or this is somewhat of an effort.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    To put things in perspective, the average person burns about 100 calories per mile running. Even if you walked nonstop for the four hours, you would only cover about 16 miles (1600 calories). So your HRM is probably significantly over-estimating your calorie burn. Some moniotrs have calibrations where you set your age, weight, etc to more accurately calculate your calorie burn.

yep, mine you set the above.

I just looked at my results from a 50 min power walk the other day, and that was 600 calories, so this could be right now that I think of it this way. I am hurting, very sore.
    Even if you walked nonstop for the four hours, you would only cover about 16 miles (1600 calories).

It was walking uneven terrain, fighting a starting box, fighting dogs who didn't want to go in starting box(think greyhound racing what they comeo ut of), dogs not wanting to get off the bunny so I had to pull 175+ lbs of dogs off. . .

Like I said, not like I was goign to eat it all LOL According to what my thing is, i'm 1925 in the hole lOL.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Which heart rate monitor is it?

iit's a sigma pc-9

And to clarify :) I am a very out of shape person, as I've not been able to do a lot since I hurt my knee and have taken it real easy since September when I had to have an MRI. .