Plataeu's

Options
How long do Plataeu's usually last? What is the longest someone can be on one?

I have hit my first one and I have read that I need to make changes to get off it. I am making changes to my exercise and the types of food I eat (still staying within my calories) but the scale won't budge!!!!:explode:

According to my tanita scale at the gym I have lost nearly 20 lbs of fat and gained 20 lbs of muscle while I have been on this stinking plataeu....:drinker:

I know the numbers don't matter, but they do too....:grumble:

Any ideas, I would love to know how long I can expect to be on this thing before I begin to lose again...:angry:

Can anyone in their infinite knowledge explain plataeu's?

Could it be that my body is trying to hold onto some weight with winter coming soon? :huh:

HELP!!!!:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• tall_t
    tall_t Posts: 251
    Options
    How long do Plataeu's usually last? What is the longest someone can be on one?

I have hit my first one and I have read that I need to make changes to get off it. I am making changes to my exercise and the types of food I eat (still staying within my calories) but the scale won't budge!!!!:explode:

According to my tanita scale at the gym I have lost nearly 20 lbs of fat and gained 20 lbs of muscle while I have been on this stinking plataeu....:drinker:

I know the numbers don't matter, but they do too....:grumble:

Any ideas, I would love to know how long I can expect to be on this thing before I begin to lose again...:angry:

Can anyone in their infinite knowledge explain plataeu's?

Could it be that my body is trying to hold onto some weight with winter coming soon? :huh:

HELP!!!!:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Dropka
    Options
    i wish i had the answers to these questions b/c i'm in the same place and going crazy. i will tell you i've been stuck for almost 2 months....... arg
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Stuck almost a month here.

I'm trying to eat a little more than MFP says I can. I'm working out harder than I should be, so my HR zone is in the 90% range, and thats too high to lose FAT CALS, so I'm trying to stay close to more like 80% and eat a little bit more.

But I also have to give it a couple weeks to see if it works.
  • tall_t
    tall_t Posts: 251
    Options
    Can anyone out there give us some answers on here about this?
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Go to Banks post in General Discussion. He has links about plaetus in there. It's permanent link now at the very top.

:flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Plataues happen because your body adjusts to what you are doing and levels out. So if you always eat 1200 calories after a while your body will say, hey all she is eating is 1200 calories and adjust to run on 1200 calories. So the best way to break a plateau is to eat more and then go back to eating less
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I was stuck for a month or so. Don't do everything at once, or like me you won't know what helped!

The 1st time I plateaued I ate a huge cheeseburger and fries. The next week I lost 2 pounds.

The 2nd time I plateaued I increased my exercise, ate 6 smaller meals a day and nothing...I SAY NOTHING> I did lose plenty of inches so I was ok.

Now the strange part-I increased my calories 50 cals a week until I hit 1300 ( i was 1200) and I have lost steadily ever since.

My theory is as we work out and increase our metabism we need more food. I think my body went into starvation mode. So now I eat 1300 + any extra calorie I earn from exercise.

I am sure I will be back posting HELP my self some day.

Be patient the number WILL move....:flowerforyou: