Help! Too much sugar

softballqueen63
softballqueen63 Posts: 11
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I've only been doing this for 2 days but so far I'm over on my sugar for both days. It seems that the fruit I add to my meals is putting me Way over. Any suggestions?

Replies

• The best suggestion I have is to limit your sugar intake to 80g or less per day from fruits and veg, and 20g or less of refined/processed sugars. The sugar in fruits and veg are metabolised quite differently from refined and processed ones and are much safer and healthier to consume, but contrary to the belief of some you cannot have "all the fruits and veg" you want. lol It's still calories. It's still sugar. I hope this helps.
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    if you are getting the sugars from natural fruits and not juices.... i can't see the harm in that. Natural sugars are not as much of a concern as sodium or bad fats would be
  • Natalie511
    Natalie511 Posts: 75 Member
    Yeah Fruit does that...I wouldn't worry about it if it is fruit sugar...now if it was white sugar or carbs I would worry...I would add a few more veggies and cut out one of the fruits you are eating since they contain so much sugar or switch to apples, berries and pears and cut out bananas and oranges ...and up your protein..you should be fine...Good Luck...
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Unless you're diabetic, you shouldn't have to worry much about sugar. All fruits are going to have sugar, but they are healthy. The only worry would be a lot of added sugar just because they add a lot more calories too.
  • htrl877
    htrl877 Posts: 49
    vegetables (frozen vegetables like birds eye california blend or mixed stirfry) are low in sugar. Tomatoes and cucumbers are vegetables (or fruits technically) and make great snack foods and have much less sugar than an apple or peach. Hot veggies usually fill you up and putting pepper on your food make you more full. Try to stick with veggies that are flavorful even if they might be a little more expensive this time of season (fruits are expensive in the winter anyways so you won't be as torn between your choices at the grocery store). Asparagus, eggplant, cauliflower are all great choices. Its hard to force yourself to eat veggies, but once you start a diet with more "blan" foods ( feel free to add spices to them though!!!), the sugary foods you ate prior will either not taste as good or too sugary for your liking. Stay away from foods that have sugar as an added ingredient (as well as anything with high frutose and sucrose as an added ingredient).

Foods like cottage cheese (2% milk fat or fat free) only have 4 grams of sugar per serving. Egg whites are also virtually sugar and carb free (only 17 calories per egg white vs 70 calories for the whole egg). Both are high in protein and can be pared with a nice english muffin (either whole grain or 1/3 fiber 100 calorie muffins). I try to start my day with either. Shredded wheat also does not have as much sugar as other cereals and if you drink it with almond milk (silk almond is 60 calories per cup), it will add more flavor than using fat free milk.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    The level for sugar on MFP is set quite low, much lower than the recommended daily amount. If it bothers you, you can change it manually. However, I think that if you're over on sugar due to natural (fruit) sugars then don't worry about it. Whilst I agree that it is important to keep sugar intake to a minimum I think that the focus is on reducing processed sugars rather than natural.
    :smile:
  • This is great information... Thanks everyone :)
This discussion has been closed.