I need a 5k to 10k training plan!

Options
Anyone have a link to a training schedule theyd like to share? Or could recommend a plan of their own?
Currently doing 2.2miles (have done 3m recently, but 2-2.5 miles is my current comfort zone). The 10k is my current goal!
Thanks!

Replies

• MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this too, my sis and I are running a 5k in October....
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've been using Couch to 10K on my iPod. Its a 10 week program but 3 workouts per week. I think its really good, because it slows you into the running process and you can keep track of the workouts as you progress.

I'm in no way promoting this app but I've found it helpful....Here's the link

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bridge-to-10k/id358545527?mt=8
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon has very nice plans for runners of all levels at all distances - and free !

www.halhigdon.com
  • RMX983
    RMX983 Posts: 34
    Options
    www.halhigdon.com

Just found this yesterday. Check it out. They have everything from 5ks, 10ks, half marathons and full marathons.

You can also choose novice, intermediate, advance, etc...
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Google C25K. Once that 9 week program is completed there is another I think called Bridge to 10K.
  • 1111renee
    1111renee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am using podrunner.com for the next 6 weeks, then Hal Higdon for 12 weeks to train for my half in June :)
  • mfergie889
    Options
    The Hal Higdon link is great! Thanks everyone!
  • mfergie889
    Options
    From the looks of his plans, (Hal Higdon) he seems to space the running days apart. Is it bad to run two days in a row? I didnt know this..oops!
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    bump
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5k. Now that it's over, I follow similar principals to lengthen my distance. I run three days a week, and do waking/jog intervals the first two days, then a distance the third.
  • RMX983
    Options
    From the looks of his plans, (Hal Higdon) he seems to space the running days apart. Is it bad to run two days in a row? I didnt know this..oops!

I think it's important not to overdo it at first if you are training for a 5k. New runners can get injured easily until they know what their body can handle. Maybe that's why they are spaced out.
  • mfergie889
    Options

I think it's important not to overdo it at first if you are training for a 5k. New runners can get injured easily until they know what their body can handle. Maybe that's why they are spaced out.

Training for a 10k! Did the 5k, now onto the next : )
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I have been injured and have a 10K on the horizon so I have been using Hal Higdon novice 10K training program..I have tri season coming up as well and its been working well to fit it all in.
  • RMX983
    Options
    Training for a 10k! Did the 5k, now onto the next : )

Nice! I'm doing it all back to back to back. C25k right now, then onto Hal Higdons 10k Novice, then his half marathon novice. Just registered earlier this week for my first half marathon. I have til October to accomplish all this!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options

You can run 2 days in a row...You shouldnt run 2 fast days in a row....I ran about 5 days per week till winter hit and my arthritis flared up for a few months..I am at 4 days running with swimming and biking 2-3 times each..You just need to listen to your body. If you get out there and cant seem to get pass a twinge cut it off and try another day. Everyone is built different. There are 80 yr olds out there running marathons. Its not b/c they are "better" then us. Its b/c they are built a certain way. Some people can run far and fast forever and some cant..You have to find what works for you. I would rest a day bw a very long run and I would rest after a "race pace" run. Other then that I will get out there a few extra times if I want to.