Cheat day?

Options
I was planning on doing a cheat day once a week to keep my metabolism from slowing down. I am currently eating 1200 calories a day, what should my cheat day be? I was thinking 1500, is that too high?

Wondering what other people do.

Replies

• mfergie889
    Options
    I would recommend a cheat meal as opposed to a cheat day..
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Actually, that isn't enough to make a difference. A cheat day is most effective when you go over your BMR by several hundred and then go back to eating your goal cals. Expect your weight to go up a pound or two and then it will come right back down and drop below what it was B4 the cheat day. I just did this last month to break a plateau. Works great.

ETA: I wrote about it in my blog if you want to read about it.
  • DucatiKing
    Options
    omg! how do u live on 1200, i'm working on 1750 and thats tough to stay inside of
  • am_last10lbs
    am_last10lbs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    runningneo - thanks I will take a look at your blog. My BMR is currently just over 1450, so I should up it to 1650 - 1750? Do you think this is something that will help prevent a plateau?

Ducati - eating 1200 calories is pretty easy if you keep your meals to lean meats. I eat a lot of fish and turkey/chicken.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    3 of my male MFPals do this regularly and keep dropping. They are really lean as well, so it def works. One guy does double his BMR once a week and then back to goal cals + exer cals the rest of the week. It does help to do weight/resistance training.
  • am_last10lbs
    Options
    I'm not sure that I could double my BMR for a day, and I'm definitely not planning on going crazy on junk. Was thinking more along the lines of having some lean red meat, potatoes.
    I have been doing 45 minutes cardio and 15-30 mins strength training.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    That sounds good. I only mentioned that one guy to show you that eating way over your BMR isn't a bad thing. It works for him.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have one day a week where I just don't count calories for the evening. Maybe go to a restaurant... I have lost 16 lbs. since I started at the end of January. Seems like my cheat day might keep my metabolism going like you have said. (My limit is 1400 per day...1200 is low! That'd be hard to stick to!)
  • am_last10lbs
    Options
    RunningNeo - How do I find your blog post?

Katekrise - I only have 9 lbs left to lose (currently 5'9, 144lbs) and unfortunately my BMR is 1550, so 1400 would be a real slow go for me!
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    females don't get as many calories as males-my husband gets about 350 more calories than I do!
  • runningneo122
    Options
    http://myfitnesspal.com/blog/runningneo122

Put anyone's handle in the place of mine and you will get to theirs as well.