at what age...

Options
Did you start letting your kids stay home alone? Not for long periods of time, but to run down the strees to get milk...

I mean, we're talking 10 minutes at the most.

Replies

• LoserCruiser
    Options
    First son 11, second son 10! Depends on maturity!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Both my kids are 8 (a very responsible 8), and "now."
  • WEN575
    WEN575 Posts: 34
    Options
    My son was around 11 1/2 years old when I let him stay home in daytime hours for short periods of time.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Most states in the U.S. have a 12 and up law, which requires that a child is old enough to stay by themselves at 12, and 14 if there are siblings younger than 12 in the house. But you can google to see what your state law is.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Just this year. She's almost 12 and responsible.
  • shelbylward
    Options
    Left my oldest at home alone when she was 10, but only for short periods(30 min). Now she is 13 and my boys are almost 10. For the last year or so, I have been leaving the 3 of them alone for up to an hour. My daughter now babysits, but when it's her brothers it is a different dynamic. I only leave the boys alone by them selves to run to the school or store. Both are only about 2 min away. I always leave them with something to do(chores or homework).

2342735.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    At 8, I started to run (literally) down to the corner deli for milk. He was usually in bed and my neighbor was home. After a while, I relaxed and was able to leave him home for a bit longer.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    I have a 15 year old step daughter terrified to be home alone... my oldest is only 4, so can't help there, but I do have nephews who stay home alone, ranging from 11-14 years old. Depends on maturity as well as their own confidence levels.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I was always extremely mature for my age, but my mom wouldn't leave me alone until I was probably around 12 or so. I know that even after school, my sister and I had a babysitter until I was around 12-13!! Then again, we do live in a big/major city, and stuff happens all the time. :indifferent:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Depends on the kid. My oldest was pretty responsible so I left her alone at maybe 10 or 11. My younger one was older. I had to feel certain he wouldn't burn the house down before I left him.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    Depends on the kid. My oldest was pretty responsible so I left her alone at maybe 10 or 11. My younger one was older. I had to feel certain he wouldn't burn the house down before I left him.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I agree it depends on the child. My oldest was 12 when I started leaving her alone for short periods of time. My youngest is now 12 and I can't imagine ever leaving her home alone!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I was home alone for about 5 hours after school with my younger sister when I was probably 7 ish. Of course this was out in the middle of the country where there was only one other couple on our dead-end road.