I've noticed I do this a lot...what are the dangers?

Options
If I'm doing workouts at home (videos, weightlifting, etc) I never wear shoes. Not even in cardio videos, because I do them on a carpeted floor. Could this cause problems long-term?

I've been noticing too that I'll get aches in my legs sometimes, but I have a habit of hyperextending them. I just realized when I was standing at the stove I almost push my left leg back, pushing the knee towards the back, while I'm standing. I never realized this before, but now that I think of it, when I'm doing weights, my left leg always gets hyperextended out front, I do the same kind of thing (push the knee back).

So I guess my question is - should I be wearing shoes each time I work out? I will really try to be more aware of how I stand, too.

Replies

• sauckly
    sauckly Posts: 1
    Options
    If you're on your feet with weight, yes, you should wear shoes. If you're doing bench presses, military presses, or anything off your feet, it doesn't matter. Shoes give better balance and less risk of injury.
  • AMBrody
    AMBrody Posts: 25
    Options
    I would try wearing shoes with good support, but I would also get checked out by an orthopedic to make sure you are damaging your knees. You don't want to get side lined by an injury or surgery. The doctor may just have you wear a brace when you exercise, but have it checked. Good Luck!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I never wear shoes, never have...unless I have to, even as a kid. Now everyone around me is having foot problems and I don't. Unless you can see that your foot is tilting inward, then shoes with arch support would be good so you don't hurt your knees.
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've suffered a tibial stress fracture due to constant shoeless high impact cardio sessions over the last few years. Unless you're working out on impact absorbing floors, WEAR SHOES! Save yourself from the pain and agony that you'll have to endure...
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your input. The fact I have very flat feet and tend to roll inward when I step just adds up to problems in the long run, I'm sure.

I'm definitely going to invest in a new pair of shoes!
  • bassetthree
    bassetthree Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am no expert on the topic but I have read where some studies have been done in countries, in villages where shoes are not worn and they found less problems with fallen arches and other common foot ailments like corns, bursitis etc. Ultimately, you use all of the muscles in your feet when they are not covered in shoes. I would say check with your doctor though. My husband bought those vibram 5-fingers shoes and he LOVES them.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Actually being barefoot is much healthier for you than being in shoes. * I am barefoot nearly 24/7 and even run barefoot. I no longer get shinsplints when I run nor footpain. Make sure you are stanging stable and try to quit hyperextending, you're going to injure yourself if you do this constantly. Only time I wear shoes is for something like soccer or basketball (I don't like broken toes). I would think weightlifting would be similar- They're not needed to "cushion" your feet (your feet do this naturally, and wearing them to "cushion" the weight is rather silly since the weight is pushing down on your joints anyhow.) I would wear shoes with a dense upper (like tennis shoes) simply to protect my feet from a dropped weight. I never wear shoes for other exercising.

*Exceptions being if you have foot problems that require shoes or special orthotics to correct.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I am no expert on the topic but I have read where some studies have been done in countries, in villages where shoes are not worn and they found less problems with fallen arches and other common foot ailments like corns, bursitis etc. Ultimately, you use all of the muscles in your feet when they are not covered in shoes. I would say check with your doctor though. My husband bought those vibram 5-fingers shoes and he LOVES them.

I love the Vibrams and I have less problems since I started wearing them. A couple of weeks ago, I wore regular shoes to lift in and I ended up spraining my ankle. I'm convinced that if I would've worn my vibrams I wouldn't have sprained it because I would've felt that I was losing my balance before it was too late.
  • melissaivie
    Options
    I really think it depends on your feet. If you have naturally good feet - great arch and good alignment - then barefoot may be just fine. But if you have feet like mine, which are flat and tend to roll to the outside, then shoes will keep your feet aligned when you're exercising. I would recommend shoes, and more than one style and switch - one set for hard aerobics, another for walking or a different video.

I've lived overseas in those "places where people go barefoot all the time." The fact is they have foot problems, too. I had friends missing toes, toenails, and the soles of their feet were like leather. Important to this topic, though, is that their feet tend to be stronger not just because they go barefoot, but because the ground is uneven so they work their ankle and foot muscles more.
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I always found that running barefoot was more comfortable for me as well as working out barefoot, but my feet slide too much with the types of cardio I do (except cardio ballroom).