Eating Right and Exercising Together.

Options
I was reading an article from a magazine [forget which] and it mentioned that you should not jump right into changing your eating habits AND making an exercise routine. Saying this is correct, how long did you wait until you incorporated both together? How much did you first start out with and when do you add more to it?

Replies

• nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    eeek, they should go hand in hand.... maybe the article meant big drastic changes? There's nothing wrong with starting off substituting snacks for healthy choices and starting to exercise
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I see no reason why would wouldn't do both at the same time.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    What's the point of going to the gym to burn off 500 cal when you'll go home and have 3 slices of pizza? Seems to me that exercise and nutrition go hand in hand, and are integral parts to the weight loss/better health/stronger body equation.

Maybe the article just meant that you should not drastically reduce your cal. intake if you will be burning off a lot? For ex, don't go run a marathon if you've only had a salad. You have to fuel your workouts, but your fuel should be the "good stuff", which "diets" are made of.
  • melissaivie
    Options
    It took me about three weeks of cutting back my food intake to realize that it wasn't going to get the weight off. I needed to exercise to get my snail-slow metabolism boosted. Perhaps the mag is thinking you shouldn't jump into both with super-high expectations so that you get discouraged? Anyway, you should do both - starting slowly. So, get out of the pantry and go for a walk!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I do both. Sounds like the magazine assumes its readers are incapable of change or don't have the strength or wherewithal to make it work. I think they drastically underestimated you. :)
  • Beach_Chica
    Beach_Chica Posts: 111
    Options
    What's the point of going to the gym to burn off 500 cal when you'll go home and have 3 slices of pizza? Seems to me that exercise and nutrition go hand in hand, and are integral parts to the weight loss/better health/stronger body equation.

Maybe the article just meant that you should not drastically reduce your cal. intake if you will be burning off a lot? For ex, don't go run a marathon if you've only had a salad. You have to fuel your workouts, but your fuel should be the "good stuff", which "diets" are made of.

I eat all right for the most part. I don't indulge in something so unhealthy like three slices of pizza. I wouldn't work so hard and then just pig out. When I exercise, I don't feel as hungry anyway.

I'll just assume the magazine was talking about when starting a new lifestyle, you don't have to stress yourself out to the point where you get discouraged and just call it quits. I think it's best to just build it up and let it take its course.
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I started out with them hand in hand. For me, one was no good without the other.
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just think the article meant that it would be overwhelming at first. You go from eating whatever u want and not exercising to counting cals changing portion sizes finding healthy options and on top if that finding a workout that u like and fitting it into your schedule, and not to mention living ur life on top if that. It's possible but its a challenge to get it down all at once without getting discouraged. But you can start off with one and go as far as it will take u. Like starting with changing eating habits, u will get results initially but to get more u will have to incorporate some kind of exercise regimen, or start with exercise and get the results that u can get but eventually to get more u will have to change your eating habits.