E m o t i o n a l - C o n f e s s i o n

Options
. . . W h e n I go to sleep and have these dreams about eating all the bad food I stopped consuming.

I live almost across the street from a gas station/convienence store, and I used to work there. I know every little bad, sugary, salty thing in that place. Chips, cookies, nachos, ice cream, hostess, little debbie, cookies the size of your hand with your fingers spread out, oh man. I used to eat it all too. I'd have a slew of bad things in my purse and I'd even lie about it. I'd say I was "Babysitting" and keeping the kids occupied, because I would buy so much bad stuff, and multiples of what I was getting, I didn't want them thinking it was all for me. It was a sad sad time in my life, but the sadder part is I did it for almost 3 years even before I started working there. And I felt horrible. Physically and emotionally. I'd get home, sit down on the couch, pull up my computer, turn on the television, eat and eat and eat whatever my problem was way down, fall asleep from a sugar crash and wake up unrested, feeling sluggish and then eat another twinkie and fall back asleep. I was on a vicious cycle. And if it wasn't the bad foods at the gas station, it was delivery pizza. I won't even get into what I would eat from there in a night 3-4 times a week. Sad to sad, if I didn't have that destructive habit, I would probably have spared myself $1,000 from my paychecks last year alone.

But back on track, I had this horrible dream I ate all that again. I went to the gas station, and there strange teenagers were there, and they made all these comments about me, "Some people should just know when to say no" and ripping posters off the wall saying "She's got her own gravitational pull, watch out!" as they threw them towards me. Needless to say, no one has ever made fun of my weight, [that I know of] but it cut deep nonetheless in a dream.

And in the lingering moments I wake up, I contemplate what time it is, do I have time to order a pizza? Things like that. I'm trying to comfort myself from the pain I felt in my dreams, and this time, all the way from my bedroom downstairs to the kitchen, I contemplated what I could eat, how could I commit food suicide, food cutting, so I felt better.

I went downstairs and had my dinner waiting on the counter from before I napped. A healthy dinner and a Nature Valley Granola Thin bar, and ate them down. I didn't eat conciously, I didnt slow down to enjoy the food, I just ate it. It was to keep myself from crying tonight, I know that. I ate emotionally, even if it was my healthy prepared dinner.

I rambled. I just needed to let you guys all understand more about me. And yeah I cried a little writing this, because its being vunerable again, and I'm not used to that. And even though you're strangers, I feel as if I can let you all into my world and maybe connect with my food pain. IDK.

Hello to my two newest friends - I hope this post doesn't scare you away into thinking Im crazy!

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Wow! That sounds tough! Dreams (or nightmares in this case) feel so real when they are happening - I would have been a wreck too! I'm no Freud or dream interpretor but it sounds like you have a deep grounded fear in failing and falling back into old habits.

It's ok. We all struggle. We all have our demons in our closets and we are all here together to say "I can do this, I can take control of my life." Sure we all fall off the wagon from time to time, but don't be afraid (the Bible says do NOT be afraid multiple times). Like Jesus, your MFP friends are here with you and we will help you. One bad day or a slew of bad days is not an excuse to quit. It just means you stand up dust yourself off and try again. You'll get there.

Stick with this and hang in there. Good for you for eating your healthy dinner - that's another small victory right there! And good for you for being brave to post such a huge vulnerability - that takes courage - you're going to make it! Take a deep breath and keep at it!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Let me assure you that none of us who have been or are overweight now ever got that way from eating just because they were hungry! That is not possible. We all got overweight because we ate/eat emotionally. It is a healthy sign that you recognize this and are making steps to change it. IT is a process and it will take time. We all have individual emotional triggers and each have to figure out what ours is in order to address it. Hang in there and hugs to you for making yourself so vulnerable by sharing your personal story.
  • Trista87Marie
    Trista87Marie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I completely understand this. Thank you so much for sharing. I get like that some days. Where I eat and eat and I feel so horrible because my stomach is hurting and I just keep eating cuz its better then thinking about why Im eating. Then I feel gross the next day because I just put all of this horribly unhealthy food in my body. Thanks for showing your vulnerable side. We all have it. :)
  • violet_820
    violet_820 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It is scary to be open and to realize why you are who you are. Congrats on being able to do that! I have to say I cried a little right along with you because it made me realize the roots of some of my issues as well. And then it makes me think "What on earth am I doing to myself, and why can't I change???". It gets to you, that's for sure.

Hang in there, we're all here for you.
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think just sharing this and recognizing the unhealthy habits and that you're consciously trying to change says a lot about how strong you are and what kind of person you are! We're all here to support one another, and when I get down it helps me to know there are a bunch of other people on this website that are going through the same issues as I am. And I also go and look at the success stories on the message board to help me stay motivated. Just seeing what other people have accomplished makes me feel like I can do it too.

I had unhealthy habits too -- falling asleep on the couch, then half-asleep before moving to the bedroom stuffing a cookie or cupcake or candy in my mouth... I wasn't even hungry and I wasn't even totally conscious! I used to be embarrassed ordering food at fast food drive thrus, too. I'm just starting my lifestyle change and even though I haven't lost much weight yet I feel more confident.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: YOU CAN DO IT! I know you can and I don't even know you! If you ever want to chat feel free to add me as a friend. We can help each other reach our goals. :)
  • highvoltagequeen
    Options
    I definately didn't mean to make anyone else cry! But thank you all for your supportive words. It means more than I can express.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    I HAVE DREAMS ABOUT WORK ALL THE TIME SO I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THRU. EVEN IF YOU LOSE ALL THE WEIGHT YOU CAN AND LOOK LIKE A STICK IT ALONE WILL NOT CHANGE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT YOUR SELF. I AM TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE MY MIND CATCH UP WITH MY BODY. BUT I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND I STILL SE THE 304 LB PERSON I WAS NOT THE 275 PERSON I AM NOW. THE DREAM MIGHT BE YOUR BRAIN CATCHING UP WITH THE BODY TRYING TO FIG IT ALL OUT.
    HOPE THIS MIGHT HELP YOU.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us can relate to the emotional side of this weight loss. I know it has been so easy to hide behind weight, to settle for less than what is best for us. To back away from the challenges, to choose not to deal with the emotions but rather feed them and stuff them down. Thank you for sharing. Thank you so much. While I love MFP for the technical support it provides on the "HOW" of weight loss, I get my true support and comfort from people who are so willing to share this side of the story.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. As many people have said, the ability to recognize some of the problem is really important. Have you ever considered counseling? In know it sounds strange, but my mom (on here also) did it for a while, and has lost 70 pounds! She's skinnier than she's been in my entire life. It's really good to recognize why we do things, and doing that can help us change our habits.
  • highvoltagequeen
    Options
    You're all too much, love you all.

kmtetour - I haven't. When I can afford insurance it might be in my future though. Definately won't turn away the possibility.
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    You know...the blessing is twofold...1 You are consciously expressing all of this openly...2 You are subconsciously expressing all of this openly....

It is a Win/Win!
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. As many people have said, the ability to recognize some of the problem is really important.
    ****************** Have you ever considered counseling?*************************
    In know it sounds strange, but my mom (on here also) did it for a while, and has lost 70 pounds! She's skinnier than she's been in my entire life. It's really good to recognize why we do things, and doing that can help us change our habits.

SHE CAME HERE SO YES SHE DID TRY NOW IF IT WORKSS TIME WILL TELL
  • highvoltagequeen
    Options
    Chel - Don't confuse me now! Haha
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Bless your heart honey. I think the thing that has saved me is exercise. Have you found any activity that makes you feel good? I am addicted to it. I don't drown my problems in food or in cigarettes anymore. If I'm stressed out, I just blare the music and dance. Endorphins feel so darned good and they're healthy! Good luck with your journey. I know it's tough. Just take it one day at a time and somehow you're going to have to use food for nourishment and not comfort. I enjoy my food completely, but I only eat when I'm hungry now. If I'm stressed out, I dance my butt off.
  • Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    We are all here for each other and we all understand the pain of emotional/boredom eating. I think it's WONDERFUL that you shared your story and please, feel free, to share anything else good or bad with us. We are here to listen and to support.

:flowerforyou:

I, too, have found myself sitting in bed after a long day, visualizing what is in the fridge. thinking, what can I eat....it's horrible. I seriously wonder why. According to Freud, I am stuck at the oral stage. (yes, I'm a psych major!! LOL) But why??? I guess only therapy could tell me!!!

Feel free to add me. We can support each other.
    Thanks!
  • highvoltagequeen
    Options
    My gosh Briacha - How long does the oral stage last?
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    So am I to assume my mom took my bottle too early? lol
  • Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    or our Mom's gave us the bottle and cookies/treats to keep us calm and happy....just saying!!!
  • Boooie
    Boooie Posts: 110
    Options
    To me your dream is you healing from your past your letting go of all that stuff you got buried deep inside.Food was a big factor in your past , in all our pasts here its almost like it has control on us(sounds weird i know) i think like addiction to smoking there's a food addiction but your on here losing weight and now you are in control of the food you eat and like i said that dream was you in your past coming out and you letting it go.Now if i want something or should i say i think i want something bad i think about it before i have it and to be honest so far no i haven't really wanted it and didn't eat as i am now in control.:)
  • krr246
    krr246 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    your not alone..i to somedays eat more than i should and then i will say what the heck i done scewed this day up so i will eat even more..horrible cycle.. we just have to all keep fighting it and stay strong..maybe it will help that we r all fighting together..thankyou for sharing this with us..:)
    :wink: