New here! Looking to lose 85 lbs by 3/1/12!!

Options
Hello all!

I'm new to MyFitnessPal and am loving it!

I'm in High School and have been very unhappy with my weight throughout my whole life.
On March 1 my mom surprised me by getting a family membership at the gym (because I'm not 18 I couldn't get one yet.) which means I can really start working out now. I had always tried to work out at home or walking, etc, but I never had the will power to continue.

The first time I stepped into our local gym, I fell in love with the atmosphere. I didn't want to stop working out. That was only 5 days ago. I've gone everyday but yesterday. On Thursday I was there by myself and I was there for 90 minutes. I loved it.

I'm starting this journey off at 215. I did my first Saturday weigh-in at 213. Whooo!
My goals are:
-Be at least 175 lbs by my Junior Year on September 6th, 2011.
-Be at least 150 lbs by New Years 2012.
-Be my target weight of 130 by March 1, 2012.

I'm giving myself a year to do this. I hope I can do it sooner though.

I also have a blog on Tumblr chronicling my journey: http://innocent-teardrops.tumblr.com/
Feel free to visit and follow. :)

It's nice to be here!
Kelsey

Replies

• princess4mimi
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS ON SUCH A GREAT DECISION AND WELCOME!!!!
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Good luck Kelsey!

It's definitely going to take a lot of hard work and discipline.

I, too, was heavy in high school. Been there. Done that. It can be a hurtful place to be.

Focus on your goals and the best of luck to you!

Grace
  • kelseybee17
    Options
    Thank you!
  • AMBrody
    AMBrody Posts: 25
    Options
    Welcome!! We are here to support you on this new journey:wink: Good Luck! You are making the right choice!!
  • carrieloveshk
    carrieloveshk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I know you can do it. Work hard, it's worth it!

Feel free to add me as a friend. I get the feeling you'll love MFP.

Best wishes.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Great Place to do it! Work Hard & Have Fun! You can do it!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Good luck to ya, hun.

Remember, it will take more than just going to the gym. You have discipline yourself with your eating habits as well. Also, you need to change your relationship with food along the way.

Definitely try to reduce your carbs-particularly those that are processed. Lots of lean protein are great. Also, eating 6 times a day is best. By eating something often, you are keeping your blood sugar from spiking and crashing, which is what causes us to be hungry again and crvae junk. So plan lots of healthy snacking options(not processed carbs--more like fresh fruit, veggies, or lean protein--does not take much--maybe 100 calories every 2-3 hours).

Great job at the gym :)
  • Guinevere117
    Guinevere117 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome to the site!

I am looking to lose about 80 pounds too, as I currently weigh 210! I know how it feels to go through teenage life overweight, I have been there and it is not pleasant. I think as long as you have a real plan and stick to it, you will be just fine. Good luck on your journey! :)

Add me as a friend if you want!
  • kgarza810
    kgarza810 Posts: 37
    Options
    welcome! good luck with your goal! :)
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I know exactly where you're at. In fact, that's about exactly what I weighed as a senior in high school so I know how you're feeling. It was a rather trying time.

85 lbs is not impossible to lose in the course of a year, if you're very dedicated. If you need some tips and pointers and support, feel free to add me as a friend. I will support you as much as I can through this process.

Just remember not to ever get discouraged if it doesn't happen fast or how you want. And also remember to build in a maintenance phase or two along the way to train yourself to maintain the weight you're losing. I recommend 4 weeks every 30 lbs. And then you will want to do a full year of maintaining once you hit your goal. The reason may not make sense when you're so desperately wanting to lose but I promise it will make it easier to lose especially when you get closer to your goals and hit some plateaus.
  • Hinto
    Hinto Posts: 52
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck. Working out at the gym can be a lot of fun, and very motivating. It's good that you like the vibe at your gym, that should really help.
  • BassClarinetist
    Options
    I'm in high school also, but I'm not as concerned with weight as inches.
    But it's so great that you've really taken to working out cuz that was my biggest problem.
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    I wish you well in all of your goals!
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    85 pounds in one year is a realistic goal, and you will be able to reach it if you stay focused :) As one of my friends says, weight loss is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise, so make sure you are nourishing your body each and every day. It's important to stay under you calorie goals, but MORE important to pack those calories with healthy, nutritious foods. LOTS of water and low sodium does wonders!!!

Friend me, if you want, I am great at motivating and supporting my friends :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP!
  • c4297
    c4297 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Awesome Goal ! You have come to the right place ! This site is amazing and the people are so supportive! :) I'm sure you can reach your goal if you focus on the end result ! (:
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    If you look at the "success stories" link on the forums there are a lot of people who have reached their 100 lbs lost goal in 1 year, but even if you lost say 50 in a year it would be fantastic....in fact once you get yourself to ONEDERLAND you'll get great satisfaction. You're not too far away from it.....then it's just the low cal whipped topping from there!
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I started at 215 before Christmas and I am currently at 188..you can totally do it! Stick with it :) Drink lots of water, exercise 4-5 times a week and eat under your calories most of the time (I still cheat every so often). Good luck!
  • Mischabella
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :) You're going to love it here..lots of great wonderful support here. Feel free to add me to your friends!