Totally Confused!!!

Options
Okay, so between the beginning of November and mid December I lost 10 pounds. That was fantastic! For the last month I have not worked out at ALL, haven't paid attention to what I've been eating, and just kind of let loose. I got fully back on track yesterday and began my workout/calorie regimine again. I weighed myself to see my starting point and some how I've lost 7 pounds. I know, I know...I shouldn't be complaining about the weight loss...I'm not...but it feels like the month and a half that I busted my *kitten* and lost 10 pounds was a waste when I was able to lose 7 with doing nothing. I'm excited about any weight loss, no matter how it happens, but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to why only 10 lbs came off before and why 7 lbs came off without even trying.

Replies

• kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Okay, so between the beginning of November and mid December I lost 10 pounds. That was fantastic! For the last month I have not worked out at ALL, haven't paid attention to what I've been eating, and just kind of let loose. I got fully back on track yesterday and began my workout/calorie regimine again. I weighed myself to see my starting point and some how I've lost 7 pounds. I know, I know...I shouldn't be complaining about the weight loss...I'm not...but it feels like the month and a half that I busted my *kitten* and lost 10 pounds was a waste when I was able to lose 7 with doing nothing. I'm excited about any weight loss, no matter how it happens, but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to why only 10 lbs came off before and why 7 lbs came off without even trying.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Maybe you ate less w/out even realizing it. Since you were really trying the month before, maybe you just became content w/ less. You have to be careful w/ the not working out though b/c you can lose muscle, and muscle helps burn fat :smile:
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it was wasted...think of the month and a half that you worked on losing weight as a time that you developed good habits. It may be that the habit are now there, and you are more conscious of what you eat and the portion size without even thinking about it. If that's the case, congratulations!!:flowerforyou:
  • TerriH
    TerriH Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi were you working out when you lost the 10lbs? You know muscle weighs more than fat but it also takes up less room than fat so measure yourself also. I hate to measure but can tell when my clothes , especially my underclothes (bra) feels sooo much better.
    I've just started Fitness Pal and love it, didn't realize I was eating so many calories, no wonder I've gained so much in the last year I stopped working out! Now it's eating right and working out!!
    Good luck to you all.
    T:flowerforyou:
  • terriberri
    Options
    if it's your metabolism....

can i have it? lol
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Maybe your good initial efforts have increased your metabolism and now you are eating more
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Maybe you thought you were eating a lot, but still subconsciously making better food decisions? Regardless, congratulations! Sounds to me like you don't need to stress too much.....You're on the right track.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: OK, this is out there a little bit, so if you're not there with it, that's cool. (forgive my hippie-dom)

I firmly believe that stressing about our weight helps keep the weight on us. "Letting-go" of your anxiety about the weight may have helped you let go of that weight. I lost a pound the week between Xmas and New Years. (and I'm not so sure I was that responsible :wink: )

Also, I agree with everything above. Your previous good habits may have become habits, and you made good choices without even thinking about it!

Anyways, great work.:flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Okay this is what happened. The month you worked out you increased the muscle in your body. Muscle burns more energy than fat. So even though you may have not watched what you ate and ate like you did before you started exercising your body is actually burning more calories now than it was before you started exercising.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! If this is a normal thing for me, I might just start taking a week off at a time now and then! :) I'm back on track with working out and eating, so hopefully it will continue! :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    If you were really busy in December and didn't just totally go ape sh@t over the holidays then you probably just did yourself proud! Thats a good sign that you are able to let go a bit and still loose, that should give you hope for reaching your goals without getting crazy!