What were your deciding moments?

Options
What was the moment(s)/event(s) that made you realize that you had to change? Here are some of mine:

Irregular heart beat - not necessarily caused by weight but made me aware that time was running out for me to fix myself.

Realized that I would not be eligible for some surgeries due to my weight.

Not being able to tie my shoes.

Could no longer fit in the booths at restaraunts (that one is kind of ironic)

Replies

• Shantre
    Shantre Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For me it was looking at old and new pictures. In the old pics I was extremely skinny and in the new ones I noticed that it looked as if someone blew up my face like a balloon.
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options
    Initially what set me off was seeing in my chart when at the doctor the words "obese female". I have never been THAT heavy again, but still struggle to keep off those pesky extra pounds. I will NEVER allow myself to be obese again!
  • Lisamariemlt
    Lisamariemlt Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    sitting in my doctors office and him telling me what my blood pressure was and being rushed in to see a cardiologist within two days
    and at the same time being told my sugars were .4 away from being a diabetic

those two things together made me realize that enough is enough
    it's time to do something and that thing was change me
    and so far so good
  • jen2586
    jen2586 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had to go on insulin injections 4 times a day for gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and hated it! Now, although I don't have diabetes I am at high risk of having it in the future if I don't lose some weight and change my lifestyle.

I attempted to try on my pre-pregnancy pants the other day, they now no longer get past me knees!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I realized I was always in elastic waist pants and/or maternity pants.

My baby was born 2 years ago.

Nuff said.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    One day I just looked in the mirror and cried. Yup like a big baby. I used to do so many sports and had put on 10 lbs from bad eating habbits. Im surronded by gorgeous girls everywhere and I felt like the ugly duckling
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was tired of getting out of breath walking up a flight of stairs and noticing it more frequently. I didn't have energy to do anything, even things I used to enjoy. Also, my mother was very overweight also and she had made the comment to me one day that if she didn't do something about her weight, she didn't think she would be mobile much longer, that she would end up having to be in a wheelchair or something. Her knees and ankles and feet were killing her. I didn't want to end up in the same position, and I figured if we tried to start being healthy together we would have a better chance of success and be able to motivate and encourage each other. And I really wanted to be able to do that for her. She has since kicked my butt lol. I have lost 67 lbs since last Feb and my awesome mother has lost 105 :happy:
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I needed to seriously think about weight losss surgery. I am pre diabetic and have many other problems . He said I should have a lapband put in , that i could have it removed later. My response was give me 6 months to do this on my own. I came home and found MFP . It will be a month on Friday i go to the doc to weigh in.
    No turning back I am going to get healthy. I am going to accomplish my goal. Thanks to all the support I get here.:happy:
  • daphne_gets_fit
    daphne_gets_fit Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would have to say I've had a few deciding moments, I would have to say looking at pictures, I have a picture of myself from my freshman year of college and a picture I took about a year ago and my arms looked "GINORMOUS" and not in a good way, also the running joke in my family is "If you wanna know what a new restaurant or a new item at a fast food restaurant tastes like, ask Daphne!" I'm kinda tired of it, and also, my 10 year high school reunion is coming and I do not want to go back there bigger than I was when I left.
  • ashayshay23
    Options
    When my "fat" jeans were too tight. I ran out of clothes and refuse to buy more!!! I also lacked energy and became depressed. Watching my weight is a way for me to have control over one aspect of my life :)
  • aecryan
    aecryan Posts: 89
    Options
    i finally got tired of people asking me if i was pregnant
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Helping out my parents and seeing how serious their health problems had gotten.
    Knowing that heart problems, diabetes, osteoporosis and arthritis are all worse with extra weight.
    That a bad diet puts you at a greater risk for cancer.

All of these things run rampant in my family and seeing the profound effects 30 years down the line made me realize I have to do what I can NOW to lessen, postpone or eliminate these problems.
  • TimarieS
    TimarieS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    when my doctor told me that i had to lose weight, he said it was the reason my arthritis had become an issue after 10 years of not having a flair up

when my husbands ex wife was thinner than me and she was 6 months pregnant (she barely ever showed though), and then 2 months after she had the baby she posted pics of herself on facebook in almost no clothing, and it looked like she had never had a baby, let alone 3, she's 95 lbs soaking wet

when i finally calculated my bmi and the obese word popped up

when i realized i was turning into my mother, who is so unhealthy, and miserable because of her weight, and won't do anything about it

when i realized i didn't want my husband to touch me, because i was to embarrassed about my body

when i realized i had lost all of my confidence

It was 1 year ago next week that i decided to make a change!