does anyone else have this problem

I work out everyday on the treadmill, but I cant seem to go for very long without hanging on and i dont know why. I go on for about an hour a day and sometimes longer, i find myself having to make myself not to hold on and then before i know it im hanging on again, how can i kick this habit? I mean the workout would be so much better if i wasnt hanging on>

Replies

• praire
    praire Posts: 73
    I work out everyday on the treadmill, but I cant seem to go for very long without hanging on and i dont know why. I go on for about an hour a day and sometimes longer, i find myself having to make myself not to hold on and then before i know it im hanging on again, how can i kick this habit? I mean the workout would be so much better if i wasnt hanging on>
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Try holding small weights. Keep your hands busy.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Much better not hanging on. If you have a Heart Rate Monitor - try it with hanging on and without. Your heart rate will go up without. So, you're not burning the calories you think you are hanging on. If you have to slow down, go ahead. Your core muscles work more without hanging on.

Good luck!
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    How about listening to some fast pace music and swinging your arms as you groove to the music.

Workout with a friend on the threadmill next to you and challenge yourselves on who would be the last to touch the handles.

Hold onto small weights like "can do" says

Hold onto your water bottle in one hand and your towel in the other or your ipod
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    How fast are you trying to go? Perhaps you need to reduce the mph for a little while, until you can go more quickly without holding on. This trick worked for me......GL. It's a daily struggle for me to get on mine, even though I know I should. :flowerforyou:
  • i have to hold on. i am just starting on them and i flew right off.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    I hang on when I am walking so my solution was to start jogging and eventually running on the treadmill because then you have no choice but to pump those arms!