What keeps you motivated?

Options
I have really been struggling lately with starting An exercise program and sticking with it. I give up on it really quickly and that is not the way I am in any other aspect of my life. I am not at all over weight, I want to slim down a little all over and lose about 10 to 15 pounds. How do you keep yourself motivated to keep up with your workouts regularly and also stay good with tracking calories? Any tips?

Replies

• ljbrauer
    ljbrauer Posts: 62
    Options
    i stay motivated by using the site, but i have also taken full body shot of myself (front, back, and side) and i see the reasons why i am working out and eating well. whenever i need the extra boost of motivation i look at those and i am immediately reminded and feel like working out that very moment! i also have my husband doing this with me so he motivates me as well. good luck to you!
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    Well I am in a different situation than you, because I have a lot to lose but one of the things that motivates me is watching Heavy on A&E. It might sound stupid but I look at the people on the show and I don't want to end up like that. It just keeps a constant reminder of what I don't want to be......
  • SirJFK
    SirJFK Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What motivates me is doing a fun exercise.. I'm doing power 90 and following the plan... not quite to the T but at least to the R :P its a few yrs old but its easy and when I started I was out of shape and really not flexible. I started on here and then on Power 90 and the most support i get is from the ppl on this site always encouraging. that and after losing 16 (site says 14 but it is 16 overall, 14 since I started here) I can see the difference in my body looking in the mirror and seeing my shrinking belly and fitting into my clothes loosely are great motivators for me, that and the extra attention my wife is giving me :) All good things!
  • monkeybu
    monkeybu Posts: 34
    Options
    I think exercise has to be enjoyable and fun as well as giving you a good workout. Join a sports team or take up a sport that you've enjoyed in the past, if you hate the gym -don't go! Or if you love taking classes but hate circuit training then just do classes. If you enjoy something then it ceases to be a chore and becomes an essential part of your day/week. That is what works for me anyway!
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Currently my main motivation is how far I have come in my workouts, instead of doing 4 or 5 push ups I'm doing 20+. Long term I'm motivated my a new wardrobe and being able to wear the clothes I like rather than just whatever fits.

Set up rewards and short term goals.
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. just want to get fit for summer :)
    A lot of it has to do with u just getting in the right mindset. MFP has helped me a lot, especially when I started
    adding friends. I got so much support and motivation from them, seeing what they had accomplished and getting
    positive feedback weather I'd done 10min of walking or 1h at the gym :)
    Also I put up this big 4 month calendar on my bedroom wall and wrote up what exercises I was required to do each day (for.ex running, gym, spinning etc) And then put a big cross on the days I complete. Seeing it all in front of me like that gives me lots of motivation.
    Aaaand then u can always go and try out the internet gimmicks like http://makeovr.com/weightmirror/ which is more for fun but cool :D

Big up! Good luck on getting to where u want to be!
  • ktg528
    ktg528 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    *The Biggest Loser motivates me like crazy! The people on that show are so inspirational, and I love the trainers. Definitely a feel good show. There are a few other shows that I've watched and enjoyed (Shedding for the Wedding, MTV's I Used to be Fat)

*I've made a vision board (kind of cheesy, but can be helpful). Its just a poster of all the things you want/motivate you. I have pictures of clothes I love and want to wear on my board, which serves as a daily reminder. I also fill up online shopping bags like crazy, daydreaming about clothes. Haha.

*Support from my family and friends really helps. Get a friend/family member to go to the gym with you or, at least, get them to push you (lovingly) to go to the gym or eat healthy when you're feeling unmotivated. Sometimes, it just takes a little encouragement!

*Basically, my motto is: JUST DO IT. If you want to lose weight, then JUST DO IT. Discipline is the only way you'll see results! Look at losing weight as a black and white situation, no gray area. Either do it, or don't!!! That's how I kick my own butt. :smile: